Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What to tell new employer

What to tell new employer

Old Aug 19th 2007, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to tell new employer

I need a little help on guidance and hope somebody has a good idea!!

As way of background I have submitted a SW simplified application and received AOR, now not wanting to wait 5+ years I have gone and got a job offer. So far so good!! I have read that the average processing time is 6 months for SW with a job offer.

Now my question is that my new employer is pushing CIC in London to sort out the visas quickly for me (+ family) and has asked how soon I would be able to up sticks and be able to start work in Vancouver. This is of course based on London getting the visas sorted.

The problem is that we have a house (plus all the stuff in it), cars etc still to sort out at home before we even think about setting up a new base!! I don't want to put off my new boss by sounding negative with a long time scale.

Any thoughts from out there would be welcome!!

Thanks Richard
Old Aug 19th 2007, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to tell new employer

The truth..
Old Aug 19th 2007, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
The truth..
Thanks I had no plans to lie!! Just not sure on time scales and do not wish to put him off employing me.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Explain the whole sittuation to him,if he's an employer of any salt,he'll understand and react accordingly. Didn't meen to imply you would lie to him
Old Aug 19th 2007, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Explain the whole sittuation to him,if he's an employer of any salt,he'll understand and react accordingly. Didn't meen to imply you would lie to him
No worries!!

Yes they want me to start work asap and understand that I have to close down my affairs in the UK before flying out.

Just me worrying I guess.

Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2007, 3:15 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Could you and your famliy work together to get things done as much as possible, then you go out to Canada and leave wife/partner to sell/sort the rest?
Old Aug 19th 2007, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
Could you and your famliy work together to get things done as much as possible, then you go out to Canada and leave wife/partner to sell/sort the rest?
Yes we have started having a clearout this weekend but if possible I would like to tie up as many loose ends in the UK and then all go together.

Plus if we don't sell the house for a price we want we can't buy in Canada but its a thought.

Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2007, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

We were in a similar position in that we decided to get over to Canada as soon as we could. Hubby got a job offer sooner than we dared hoped and his new Employer wanted him over yesterday! We told them 8 weeks I believe which was enough time to get the house on the market, do a few boot sales, say goodbyes etc and gather paperwork. It was also roughly how long it took to get the paperwork for the WPs through.

It was a rush and we hadn't completed the sale on the house before we left. On one hand I wouldn't recommend leaving the country with your house up for sale but on the other, if you have someone you trust who can help you out and be your point of contact in the UK (deal with the Estate Agent and report back to you, arrange for any last minute bits and pieces to be done etc) it may work out.

Also, consider how much help your new employer can provide you in Canada - will he/she arrange a rental property so that you can get over and have some breathing space? My hubby's boss offered us the use of his house for a couple of weeks (while he was on vacation) so we could look around for a rental?
Old Aug 19th 2007, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ladymoose
We were in a similar position in that we decided to get over to Canada as soon as we could. Hubby got a job offer sooner than we dared hoped and his new Employer wanted him over yesterday! We told them 8 weeks I believe which was enough time to get the house on the market, do a few boot sales, say goodbyes etc and gather paperwork. It was also roughly how long it took to get the paperwork for the WPs through.

It was a rush and we hadn't completed the sale on the house before we left. On one hand I wouldn't recommend leaving the country with your house up for sale but on the other, if you have someone you trust who can help you out and be your point of contact in the UK (deal with the Estate Agent and report back to you, arrange for any last minute bits and pieces to be done etc) it may work out.

Also, consider how much help your new employer can provide you in Canada - will he/she arrange a rental property so that you can get over and have some breathing space? My hubby's boss offered us the use of his house for a couple of weeks (while he was on vacation) so we could look around for a rental?
Yes thanks my brother in law would sort out the house if we needed him to plus anything else left over.

We are thinking of renting to start with as although I have seen the area I think would be good to live in my wife hasn't yet (my employer showed me around when I popped over for the interview).

We are now sorting through all the cr*p that we have and binning it and wondering why we still have it!
Old Aug 19th 2007, 4:10 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

I fly on 8th September but Mal is flying on 1st. We still have loads to do and we're not selling up yet. We are going to rent for a while until we decide which area we want to settle in. I have boxes ready for boot sale and boxes to donate and boxes to give to friends. Underneath those boxes is my house somewhere but it'll come

Good luck in whatever you chose to do
Old Aug 19th 2007, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

It's great that you have someone who can help with the house and stuff if necessary.

One thing I would suggest if you can spare the cash (and if your house isn't sold/completed before you leave), is to have a house inspection before you go. File this with the estate agent, your brother-in-law and bring one yourselves.

Our buyer tried to pull all sorts of fast ones once we were out of the country, claiming all sorts of things weren't working or needing replacement which we knew were ok. The estate agent had the attitude that as we were out of the country, we should accept his arguments and just pay up in order not to lose the sale - we didn't agree and played hardball and eventually won - but it would have been a lot easier if we could have pointed to the relevant page of a report as proof that all was ok!
Old Aug 19th 2007, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ladymoose
It's great that you have someone who can help with the house and stuff if necessary.

One thing I would suggest if you can spare the cash (and if your house isn't sold/completed before you leave), is to have a house inspection before you go. File this with the estate agent, your brother-in-law and bring one yourselves.

Our buyer tried to pull all sorts of fast ones once we were out of the country, claiming all sorts of things weren't working or needing replacement which we knew were ok. The estate agent had the attitude that as we were out of the country, we should accept his arguments and just pay up in order not to lose the sale - we didn't agree and played hardball and eventually won - but it would have been a lot easier if we could have pointed to the relevant page of a report as proof that all was ok!
Good thought but if you saw my brother in law you wouldn't try anything like that and if you did he would win!!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by High numbers
I need a little help on guidance and hope somebody has a good idea!!

As way of background I have submitted a SW simplified application and received AOR, now not wanting to wait 5+ years I have gone and got a job offer. So far so good!! I have read that the average processing time is 6 months for SW with a job offer.

Now my question is that my new employer is pushing CIC in London to sort out the visas quickly for me (+ family) and has asked how soon I would be able to up sticks and be able to start work in Vancouver. This is of course based on London getting the visas sorted.

The problem is that we have a house (plus all the stuff in it), cars etc still to sort out at home before we even think about setting up a new base!! I don't want to put off my new boss by sounding negative with a long time scale.

Any thoughts from out there would be welcome!!

Thanks Richard
Looks like you are in demand that your new employer is making
the effort to get the visas sorted ASAP.
Would 2 months after you have received the visas
be reasonable for you and your new employer?
I month for giving notice to you present employer
and 1 month to tie up loose ends .

In the meantime summon all the relatives and friends to help
you get your house ready for sale.

Your new employer seems keen to have you on as a team
member. Looks positive
Good luck,
Yoong
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Yoong
Looks like you are in demand that your new employer is making
the effort to get the visas sorted ASAP.
Would 2 months after you have received the visas
be reasonable for you and your new employer?
I month for giving notice to you present employer
and 1 month to tie up loose ends .

In the meantime summon all the relatives and friends to help
you get your house ready for sale.

Your new employer seems keen to have you on as a team
member. Looks positive
Good luck,
Yoong
Thanks we are heading your way to Vancouver and when I went for testing and the interview the boss who is in charge of all of BC said 'Welcome aboard'. I took it as a good sign then.

We have someone coming to look at the house tomorrow to see the best way to present for sale and I am getting rid of stuff by the bag load.

Thanks