Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What sites in UK must we see before we leave?

What sites in UK must we see before we leave?

Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What sites in UK must we see before we leave?

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I doubt they were ancient but I think you get my point (or you're just being condecending. I can't tell. I'm only on my first coffee.).
As I recall they looked pretty old. I have no idea to which period they dated. And no I'm not being condescending.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 2:57 pm
I don't believe it!

grumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=britishvixen21]
Bakewell (where bakewell tarts come from) ......QUOTE]

Never, ever, ever call 'em "tarts" when you're in Bakewell - it's considered an act of blasphemy...........according to Bakewellians (?) they're "puddings" not "tarts" - despite what the rest of the country calls 'em ! Apart from that little peculiarity, Bakewell and surrounding area is well worth a visit....take a side trip to Dovedale....gorgeous, assuming you can find somewhere to park. Castleton and the Blue John cave, Buxton. Further north you've got the Trough of Bowland....wow, so many beautiful places - why did I leave! Oh yeah, I remember........
Forgot to mention York....gorgeous

Last edited by grumpy; Aug 9th 2006 at 2:59 pm. Reason: Forgot to add.......
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Skye
Edinburgh
Peebles (& surrounding area)
Lake District
Berwick
Warwickshire
Cornwall

.. to name a few.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

nipperdog is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: What sites in UK must we see before we leave?

Before I go I intend to go up Snowdon, Ben Nevis and Scafell Pike, the UK's three biggest mountains. Okay so they're not the Rockies but they're here and they're beautiful.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Go and see your favourite foods (marmite etc.) being made then you might overcome your addictions and longing.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nipperdog
Before I go I intend to go up Snowdon, Ben Nevis and Scafell Pike, the UK's three biggest mountains. Okay so they're not the Rockies but they're here and they're beautiful.
Good idea. Its a damned site more practical than planning to scale Mt Logan once you get to canada Hell, you can take the train up Snowdon if you want

Technically of course those arent the UK's three biggest mountains (They would all be in Scotland, Ben Macdhui and Braeriach are #2 and 3) but we know what you meant
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

nipperdog is on a distinguished road

Thank you iank, hopefully as part of the immigration process they won't ask me too many questions about the UK as I obviously know nuffink! Lol. Still going up them tho, and no not by train! Apparently after 5pm you can mountain bike down Snowdon, weeeeeeee sounds cool if difficult. Good practice for those Rockies hopefully!
Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:55 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsWillow
We are starting to realise that we haven't actually travelled much of this great land. We are in the Cotswolds and never really seem to escape. We went up the Malvern Hills last weekend. We really enjoyed it and thought we should do it more often.

We might take a few weekends away before we go but where??
The Cotswolds is not a bad place to be in, it's definitely one of my favourite places in the UK ( I drive there often just to go walking and have lunch). If you are used to that kind of setting I am just assuming that you are country side lovers (just like me). You are not far from Wales and that would make for a fantastic weekend break (maybe longer) there is a very rural feel to it and you can find mountains and great coastal walks.

Going north the Peak and Lake Districts aren't bad either.. and if you could get to Scotland you'd find that it was well worth it. My favourite part is around Loch Lomond and the Trossachs, and the west coast/Skye (Edinburgh is a very nice city). Scotland is one of the nicest places on Earth if you ask me, it's just stunning and so peaceful and welcoming. It is trully wonderful.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:24 am
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

Agree with
Edinburgh
Stonehenge
Snowdonia
St Ives
Lake District

Would add
West Yorkshire moors and Haworth village
Chester (also Chester Zoo and Blue Planet aquarium both near there and above your average offering of that type of thing)
Old Aug 11th 2006, 11:34 am
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by David P
Stonehenge. Nothing like that anywhere else in the world
Yes, Stonehenge and the beautiful New Forest, Isle of Arran, Mull of Kintyre and Windsor. Forget Logoland, go and see the town and the castle. Also Warwick Castle at Christmas when they have the Frost Fair and the castle is dressed for Christmas and you can ice skate outside... magical.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 11:35 am
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

Well it could be Logoland! Excuse my typo!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:55 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SkiBunny

Would add
West Yorkshire moors and Haworth village
Chester (also Chester Zoo and Blue Planet aquarium both near there and above your average offering of that type of thing)
Swap Blue Planet for the Deep in Hull
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

beckyboo is an unknown quantity at this point

Aberystwyth.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 3:19 pm
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Swap Blue Planet for the Deep in Hull
Slight issue with that - Four letters, needs a wash <groan>
Old Aug 11th 2006, 3:34 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SkiBunny
Slight issue with that - Four letters, needs a wash <groan>
Nah
you'll have to explain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.