Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What salary for $650,000 mortgage

What salary for $650,000 mortgage

Old Mar 12th 2015, 3:46 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What salary for $650,000 mortgage

Also remember that you generally want to be paying more than the minimum repayment- if you mortgage to the max you can afford to repay, you're going to spend years spinning your wheels just paying off interest. Yeah, I made that mistake.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 3:54 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
We've just gone for a $615k house on a salary of over $100K but I did put down $160k (making a mortgage of $458k after adding COMPULSORY mortgage indemnity insurance) and I've still got an inherited apartment in the UK to sell, which will cover off about 60% of the mortgage.

5 year fixed rate of 2.74% (Scotiabank - these rates aren't advertised rates) gives $2108/month repayment on 25 year amortisation.

This is the upper limit of my comfort zone without my wife working and ignoring the UK property (cautious assumption), on the basis that at the end of the 5 year fix, rates could be double or more and there could be falls in house prices in the future.

You won't get amortisation of more than 25 years until, you get Citizenship iirc.

CMHC recommends your mortgage payment + property tax is not more than 35% of your Gross income.
Wow...I'm wondering if we are super cautious now
Old Mar 12th 2015, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

jamesmacc is an unknown quantity at this point

We've just gone for a $615k house on a salary of over $100K but I did put down $160k (making a mortgage of $458k after adding COMPULSORY mortgage indemnity insurance) and I've still got an inherited apartment in the UK to sell, which will cover off about 60% of the mortgage.

We got a 5 year fixed rate of 2.74% (Scotiabank - these rates aren't the advertised rates) - this gives $2108/month repayment on 25 year amortisation.

This is the upper limit of my comfort zone without my wife working and ignoring the value of the UK property (ie cautious assumptions), on the basis that at the end of the 5 year fix, rates could be double or more and there could be falls in house prices in the future.

You won't get amortisation of more than 25 years until you get Citizenship iirc.

CMHC recommends your mortgage payment + property tax is not more than 35% of your Gross income (which equates to about 50% of net income after taxes).

There are reasons why many houses have legal (and illegal) secondary suites.....although we didn't go down that route.
that seems very reasonable , is that a fixed rate for a few years?
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:00 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to post actual numbers, but I can post generally what we did...

Our mortgage pre-approval was done on only my husband's salary, and they approved us for a ridiculously high mortgage. Like, yeah, we could afford that, if we never turn on the heating or the lights and eat ramen noodles for the next 25 years.

The mortgage we took out was roughly 4.5x my husband's salary; 2.6x our combined salary. Our down payment was 35%. Interest rate is at 2.74% for a 5-year fixed, 25 year amortization.

We determined this to be affordable for us. Doesn't empty the bank account, is still achievable for any kind of leave or unemployment in the future, and still means we can put some money into savings or renovations each month.

It would have been really easy to go with the max the bank offered us, but we were sensible enough to know that number was complete insanity.

So you need to sit down and put a budget together and work out what's affordable for you. (Some people are happy to leave the lights off, wear a sweatshirt, and eat ramen noodles for 25 years!)
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:01 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Withabix...I've been trying to work out how we have less of a mortgage than you on a cheaper interest rate and how our monthly costs are similar... But I have it now I think? Is yours just a monthly payment mortgage? As we are on a bi weekly mortgage...
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:05 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Also remember that you generally want to be paying more than the minimum repayment- if you mortgage to the max you can afford to repay, you're going to spend years spinning your wheels just paying off interest. Yeah, I made that mistake.
..and if the interest rate has increased by the end of the term, you are going to be stuck with a house you cannot afford the mortgage on when you have to renew.

Many don't seem to grasp, that at the end of the term, say 5 years, one has to renew the insurance and make sure you qualify for the new mortgage. Banks can refuse to renew if one does not meet the criteria.

Personally I always had an open mortgage, by and far the best and cheapest over the long term.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:07 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
I don't want to post actual numbers, but I can post generally what we did...

Our mortgage pre-approval was done on only my husband's salary, and they approved us for a ridiculously high mortgage. Like, yeah, we could afford that, if we never turn on the heating or the lights and eat ramen noodles for the next 25 years.

The mortgage we took out was roughly 4.5x my husband's salary; 2.6x our combined salary. Our down payment was 35%. Interest rate is at 2.74% for a 5-year fixed, 25 year amortization.

We determined this to be affordable for us. Doesn't empty the bank account, is still achievable for any kind of leave or unemployment in the future, and still means we can put some money into savings or renovations each month.

It would have been really easy to go with the max the bank offered us, but we were sensible enough to know that number was complete insanity.

So you need to sit down and put a budget together and work out what's affordable for you. (Some people are happy to leave the lights off, wear a sweatshirt, and eat ramen noodles for 25 years!)
It's true- what the banks will offer here is ridiculous... I would never dream of maxing the mortgage like that in the UK but I guess everyone has a different risk tolerance. Mine is pretty low...plus we want to ski and go explore (read escape the winter in search of sun) ...
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:08 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

You won't get amortisation of more than 25 years until you get Citizenship iirc.
I am surprised that Scotiabank insisted on mortgage insurance as it is usually only required if you are putting down less than 20%. 25 years is the maximum amortization for a CHMC insured mortgage. Longer terms are available in the "less regulated" market.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Withabix...I've been trying to work out how we have less of a mortgage than you on a cheaper interest rate and how our monthly costs are similar... But I have it now I think? Is yours just a monthly payment mortgage? As we are on a bi weekly mortgage...
I quoted the monthly figure - I have gone for bi-weekly, which will of course be more (there are 13 months in a bi-weekly year).

I actually get paid weekly (yes, really!!!) even though I'm salaried!
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I am surprised that Scotiabank insisted on mortgage insurance as it is usually only required if you are putting down less than 20%. 25 years is the maximum amortization for a CHMC insured mortgage. Longer terms are available in the "less regulated" market.
I'm not a PR yet, so Scotia insisted on the indemnity. It was only $3140 or something (0.75% for my LTV). That was Genworth.

I think the indemnity is mandatory if you haven't got PR or even in early PR...
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:12 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Times have changed. Six years ago one client was trying to sell a 1,200 sf house on a half acre lot in (admittedly rural) SK. The house was well maintained. They struggled to get $30,000. (The comma is in the right place.)
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:17 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

I quoted the monthly figure - I have gone for bi-weekly, which will of course be more (there are 13 months in a bi-weekly year).

I actually get paid weekly (yes, really!!!) even though I'm salaried!
I think he's in one of the few jobs that actually get a monthly income.... I quite dislike the bi weekly mortgage- like things to go out in one go...

I'm going to point out to my husband how lucky he is to have such a frugal wife as it's becoming clear I am ultra cautious!!
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:19 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

I'm not a PR yet, so Scotia insisted on the indemnity. It was only $3140 or something (0.75% for my LTV). That was Genworth.

I think the indemnity is mandatory if you haven't got PR or even in early PR...
Not mandatory... We're on a TWP and we didn't go over the amount required loan to value so didn't need it.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:22 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

CMHC recommends your mortgage payment + property tax is not more than 35% of your Gross income (which equates to about 50% of net income after taxes).
Good to see someone giving a sensible piece of advice about the property market in this day and age.

TD recently offered me a mortgage of 5 x's my salary and a 35 year term (which I thought weren't allowed any more).

Talk of interest rate rises in the US. A fool would buy a property now and certainly a condo so be careful.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:22 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
It's true- what the banks will offer here is ridiculous... I would never dream of maxing the mortgage like that in the UK but I guess everyone has a different risk tolerance. Mine is pretty low...plus we want to ski and go explore (read escape the winter in search of sun) ...
Exactly. We basically did all the calculations using just my husband's salary. Calculated it all out based on his income. If we were to be living on JUST his income things would be a bit tighter than they are now, but in reality if we are on one income in the future (kids, unemployment, whatever) then we need to make sure we aren't going to be in trouble financially. Hence, we did the calculation based just on his salary, and what I bring in is basically just bonus.

I think a lot of people are just like "OMG THE BANK SAYS I CAN HAVE A MORTGAGE FOR X, THAT IS AWESOME!" and then stop it there. And as others have pointed out, the very low interest rates right now are sort of skewing things a bit - what happens if interest rates go up to 5% in 5 years time, and you were already living cheque-to-cheque on a 3%ish mortgage? Yeeeeeah....

(FYI, "you" above just means "one", not any "you" in particular! Just to be clear! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.