Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is the right time to apply for PR? Before marriage or after marraige?

What is the right time to apply for PR? Before marriage or after marraige?

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Suriya is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile What is the right time to apply for PR? Before marriage or after marraige?

Myself and my fiancée are Indian citizens working in USA in L1 visa. We are getting married in July this year. We are planning to get settled in Canada.

I am planning to apply for PR in Canada. The confusion is when?

1)If I apply now, can I include my fiancée in my application? If so under what category...?What are the rules and regulations?
FYI: We are not staying together for past one year.

2)If I apply now and if I cannot include my fiancée name now then when should I include her name for PR? If it is immediately after my marriage, what is the process? If it is after I get my PR, what is the process to get her PR?

3)I can wait till my marriage in July, but unnecessarily I will be wasting another 4 to 5 months without applying for PR.

FYI:
I have got offer from a Canada employer. They are ready to give offer once we are into Canada as PR (even if it takes one year).

Another confusion is, my current employer in USA is trying to apply for work permit in Canada. In this case, do I need to apply for PR after getting work permit or
shall I go ahead and apply for PR before getting work permit?

Really I want to save 4-5 months gap between now and my marriage? What are the best options? One of my friend said that we can go to Indian Consulate in USA/Canada
and get registered ourselves as married. I don’t know how far it is realistic and pratical?

Please give me some solutions by which we can get our PR ASAP so that we can live together.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 8:11 pm
s1lv3rsh4dow

Default Re: What is the right time to apply for PR? Before marriage or after marraige?

Originally posted by Suriya
Myself and my fiancée are Indian citizens working in USA in L1 visa. We are getting married in July this year. We are planning to get settled in Canada.

I am planning to apply for PR in Canada. The confusion is when?

1)If I apply now, can I include my fiancée in my application? If so under what category...?What are the rules and regulations?
FYI: We are not staying together for past one year.

2)If I apply now and if I cannot include my fiancée name now then when should I include her name for PR? If it is immediately after my marriage, what is the process? If it is after I get my PR, what is the process to get her PR?

3)I can wait till my marriage in July, but unnecessarily I will be wasting another 4 to 5 months without applying for PR.

FYI:
I have got offer from a Canada employer. They are ready to give offer once we are into Canada as PR (even if it takes one year).

Another confusion is, my current employer in USA is trying to apply for work permit in Canada. In this case, do I need to apply for PR after getting work permit or
shall I go ahead and apply for PR before getting work permit?

Really I want to save 4-5 months gap between now and my marriage? What are the best options? One of my friend said that we can go to Indian Consulate in USA/Canada
and get registered ourselves as married. I don’t know how far it is realistic and pratical?

Please give me some solutions by which we can get our PR ASAP so that we can live together.

Sir,

You seem to be moving to fast there, one thing at a time huh ! The first you have to do, is vist the CIC website, and see if you qualify under the skilled worker class.

Am employer can offer you a job, but they have to prove that no one here can do the job in the first place. If that is the case, you can then apply under the skilled worker class.

Apart from this, there is no other easy way for you to apply for PR, since you and your partner are Indian citizens, and not one of you is a canadian national, that eliminates you from the family class.

Bottom line, check out immigration canada wesite, and take it from there.

Good luck

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Suriya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the right time to apply for PR? Before marriage or after marraige?

Thanks for the reply.

I have checked CIC website already. I am eligible for skilled worker. I am planning to apply for PR as skilled worker only.

The Canada employer said that they cannot give me job offer until I get my PR.The only option the Canada employer given to me is get PR and then meet them. So they are clear on their point.

All my qn is, when to apply for PR as skilled worker? Before marriage or after marriage.
----------

Originally posted by s1lv3rsh4dow
Sir,

You seem to be moving to fast there, one thing at a time huh ! The first you have to do, is vist the CIC website, and see if you qualify under the skilled worker class.

Am employer can offer you a job, but they have to prove that no one here can do the job in the first place. If that is the case, you can then apply under the skilled worker class.

Apart from this, there is no other easy way for you to apply for PR, since you and your partner are Indian citizens, and not one of you is a canadian national, that eliminates you from the family class.

Bottom line, check out immigration canada wesite, and take it from there.

Good luck