Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

what prompted you all to make the move?

what prompted you all to make the move?

Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

minkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really nice
Default what prompted you all to make the move?

Hello,

I am interested to know why people wanted to move to Canada....why did they want to leave Europe? I live in France. And I do love it here - but am so ready to leave for many many reasons which I won't go into on here...!

minka
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:50 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what prompted you all to make the move?

Originally Posted by minkoak
Hello,

I am interested to know why people wanted to move to Canada....why did they want to leave Europe? I live in France. And I do love it here - but am so ready to leave for many many reasons which I won't go into on here...!

minka
Just fancied trying something different. Have not looked back.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

More money, bigger house, more free time. And I happened to have a passport
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

minkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really niceminkoak is just really nice

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Just fancied trying something different. Have not looked back.
did you move with family? where abouts are you in BC?
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
More money, bigger house, more free time. And I happened to have a passport
Passport helps!!! I hold an australian passport as well as British - would make it very easy if I wanted to live there! unfortunately I have no desire and would much rather be in Canada....!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 5:40 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

did you move with family? where abouts are you in BC?
Did not have a family then, came on my own. Ended up sponsoring and marrying a Brit who lived in the UK. This was not part of the master plan though. Long story.

We live in the Fraser Valley.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 6:07 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Came for a visit, liked what we saw, fancied a change and eager to climb out of a longstanding rut!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Did not have a family then, came on my own. Ended up sponsoring and marrying a Brit who lived in the UK. This was not part of the master plan though. Long story.

We live in the Fraser Valley.
I won't ask questions!!
I would be coming over with 2 small children and husband. Vancouver Island is where we fell in love with - have a god-mother there.
It ain't easy though! The whole finding a job malarkey.......we are determined....and will persevere..
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we live on Vancouver Island and love living here. We moved here for many reasons including the laid back attitude, more opportunities for us and our children, community spirit, higher standard of living, the beautiful scenery and nature, able to afford to own a bigger house and land. Basically for us it was everything we wanted and more.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:13 pm
Banned

I won't ask questions!!
I would be coming over with 2 small children and husband. Vancouver Island is where we fell in love with - have a god-mother there.
It ain't easy though! The whole finding a job malarkey.......we are determined....and will persevere..
As much as the job issue is a concern, it did not deter me. Employees are at a premium these days, if you are not too fussy what you do to start off with, it is a means to an end. The adventure is the thing that kept me going, the job was secondary. Managed to secure three job offers before leaving the UK, but they only came in the week before I left. Stayed with the one I took for four years before going out on my own.

The whole of BC has its attractions, the Island is nice, but did not work for us. I need to be able to travel more frequently and easily than rely on ferries. If leaving the island infrequently this should not be an issue. I used to go over by car and the ferry ride and line ups soon wore a bit thin, although the Pacific Buffet on the Spirit class ferries is not half bad and helped the time go by. Flying over is way quicker and easier, although it limits what you can take with you.

Hope all goes well for you.

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Mar 23rd 2008 at 7:18 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

poshvikki is an unknown quantity at this point

we too are wanting to make the move, but we have already encountered set backs , we applied to a bc agency and was quickly offered a job, we sold our home, but still we had no date ?? the buyers wanted us out ! we wanted to be in canada ! still no work permit wwe were prom dec, then jan/ feb the buyers wouldnt wait we lost the sale !!! then the permit came through , so we contacted agent who had kindly the permits to someone else !! so we are back to square, one, we are new to this, can any one helpus !!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is Canadian and wanted to live in Canada again after being in the UK for 14 years and I thought it would be an adventure. But 8 1/2 years and 2 kids later it's time to move on. Unlike a lot of people on BE we did very little planning or research. I'm always amazed by how much time and effort people put into moving, I can't believe how little I new about Canada before I got here
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshvikki
so we contacted agent who had kindly the permits to someone else !! so we are back to square, one, we are new to this, can any one helpus !!!!
I didn't think permits could be given to other people? You might want to post in the Immigration forum Vikki, I'm sure you'll get good advice and help there.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by maddhobs
Hi, we live on Vancouver Island and love living here. We moved here for many reasons including the laid back attitude, more opportunities for us and our children, community spirit, higher standard of living, the beautiful scenery and nature, able to afford to own a bigger house and land. Basically for us it was everything we wanted and more.
That is what we figure too. Although we have the safety and space here in France - there just aren't the opportunities for young people..........
Plus we are ready for another adventure while the kids are still young enough to uproot.
I am hoping finding work won't be too much of an issue. My husband is an arborist and I am a Montessori teacher.
It will be hard to leave all our family and friends though..........they will all just have to come out for long extended holidays!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

As much as the job issue is a concern, it did not deter me. Employees are at a premium these days, if you are not too fussy what you do to start off with, it is a means to an end. The adventure is the thing that kept me going, the job was secondary. Managed to secure three job offers before leaving the UK, but they only came in the week before I left. Stayed with the one I took for four years before going out on my own.

The whole of BC has its attractions, the Island is nice, but did not work for us. I need to be able to travel more frequently and easily than rely on ferries. If leaving the island infrequently this should not be an issue. I used to go over by car and the ferry ride and line ups soon wore a bit thin, although the Pacific Buffet on the Spirit class ferries is not half bad and helped the time go by. Flying over is way quicker and easier, although it limits what you can take with you.

Hope all goes well for you.
Thanks! Am sure will keep posting updates on this site....! We will get there eventually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.