Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What paperwork is needed to secure rented accommodation?

What paperwork is needed to secure rented accommodation?

Old Dec 20th 2006, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Jibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud ofJibba has much to be proud of
Default What paperwork is needed to secure rented accommodation?

My partner and I are finally heading over to Vancouver in February to settle and start the next stage of our life in Canada with our PR visas.
We’d like to rent a property for the first 6-12 months and then we’d like to buy one.

Can any of you let me know what documentation you had to present – or what you found useful – for securing a long term let in Canada, preferably in BC? In particular, what did you need to provide in terms of proof of funds, references, PR card, etc.?

We’ve complicated issues somewhat by deciding to go travelling between leaving the UK and ending up in Vancouver (which we’re really enjoying – and we’ve yet to find a country that we love more than Canada). We’re currently on our trip so we need to know this stuff in advance so that we can get the relevant documents sent out from the UK in time for our arrival in Vancouver.

Hope you can help. Have a great Christmas!.

Jibba
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

shriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really nice
Default Re: What paperwork is needed to secure rented accommodation?

Originally Posted by Jibba
My partner and I are finally heading over to Vancouver in February to settle and start the next stage of our life in Canada with our PR visas.
We’d like to rent a property for the first 6-12 months and then we’d like to buy one.

Can any of you let me know what documentation you had to present – or what you found useful – for securing a long term let in Canada, preferably in BC? In particular, what did you need to provide in terms of proof of funds, references, PR card, etc.?

We’ve complicated issues somewhat by deciding to go travelling between leaving the UK and ending up in Vancouver (which we’re really enjoying – and we’ve yet to find a country that we love more than Canada). We’re currently on our trip so we need to know this stuff in advance so that we can get the relevant documents sent out from the UK in time for our arrival in Vancouver.

Hope you can help. Have a great Christmas!.

Jibba

If you are physically in Canada, some landlords may ask for references and some may not. You may need to pay a damage deposit and first months rental prior to moving in.

If you are trying to rent from the UK, it can sometimes be difficult as landlords have become wary of overseas scammers and may refuse to accept a check to book the place.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What paperwork is needed to secure rented accommodation?

Hi Jibba,

When we rented for six months upon arrival last year. We discovered a number of things:

*Landlords in BC are only allowed to ask for an amount worth 2 weeks rent for a damage deposit.
*Property taxes (council tax) and water is included in your rent.

As a previous answer said, some landlords will ask for lots of info and references, and others will take you at "face value".

There is a terrible shortage of rental property in our town (Powell River) and it's probably no different elsewhere. We managed to secure a great rental house by hanging around the bakery looking like sad puppies. Eventually, the baker phoned his friend who was preparing a house for rental.

Of course, everything varies town by town, but everything is a lot more straightforward once you're in Canada.

Hope this helps,

Sarah