Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is the normal penalty for breaking a rental lease?

What is the normal penalty for breaking a rental lease?

Old Jun 27th 2012, 7:25 am
Just Joined

ralf12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the normal penalty for breaking a rental lease?

I will be renting when landing to get to know the different areas first instead of buying. I will also be unemployed, and the location of my job would also be a factor when buying.
Once I have a job, I will be in a position to buy, as a I have more than enough for a deposit. I would not want to lose out on that perfect house because I am tied to a lease. Most leases are 12 months.
What is the normal penalty for breaking a rental lease? Can this be negotiated upfront with the landlord? Let's say 3 months rent.
Are some landlords willing to reduce the lease length for a higher rent?
Are landlords going to run away when you start talking about this? I would want to be upfront and honest with them.
Any landlords or former landlords out there? What would you be happy with?
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

englishbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the normal penalty for breaking a rental lease?

ive just got a lease for 6 months with 1/2 month rent as a deposit they are negotiable
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have had month to month, 6 month and well as 12 month. But it is possible to find something that is not 12 months.

As for what happens if you break a lease that could vary by province.

This pertains to BC.

"Legally, you could be responsible for all advertising
costs and all lost rent revenue for the balance of the lease period if the landlord is not able to find another tenant to move in. You could also be on the hook for advertising costs incurred by the landlord until the rental unit is re-rented.
The first thing you should do is look at your lease agreement. You probably have a ‘liquidated damages’ clause in your lease which usually means you forfeit your security deposit or some other amount if you break the lease."

http://www.tenants.bc.ca/ckfinder/us...ease%20Q&A.pdf

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 27th 2012 at 9:00 am.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Penalties can be quite high. We did negotiate break clauses in our leases, but they only covered a couple of situtations. Our first lease had an automatic break clause and then re renogotaited it for other properties
Old Jun 27th 2012, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

I hope it's not the death one.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 2:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ralf12
I will be renting when landing to get to know the different areas first instead of buying. I will also be unemployed, and the location of my job would also be a factor when buying.
Once I have a job, I will be in a position to buy, as a I have more than enough for a deposit. I would not want to lose out on that perfect house because I am tied to a lease. Most leases are 12 months.
What is the normal penalty for breaking a rental lease? Can this be negotiated upfront with the landlord? Let's say 3 months rent.
Are some landlords willing to reduce the lease length for a higher rent?
Are landlords going to run away when you start talking about this? I would want to be upfront and honest with them.
Any landlords or former landlords out there? What would you be happy with?
If I had a tenant on 12 month lease and they broke the lease, I would expect to be compensated and would take every measure to be make sure I was. Depends what the chances of success would be. If the tenant went off an bought a house, I would have a good chance of success, if the tenant was a down and out, not much chance. The former I would pursue in small claims, the latter I would not bother pursuing.

There is a point to a lease, which is a legal agreement. Enter into a lease with the same expectation you would any other legal agreement. It is a contract and a tenant is legally bound by the terms of that contract as is the landlord. I feel sure if you took on a 12 month lease and the landlord told you they wanted you out after 3 months you would not be too happy and seek redress.

Some landlords may be more flexible, many won't be, especially if it is a desirable property. Be upfront with the landlord and try to get a month by month agreement, which requires 30 days notice. However any short term agreement works both ways.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 2:57 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the Aviator.

Some landlords want month to month leases: maybe focus your search on one of those.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

In my province it is not uncommon for people to advertise in the classified for someone to take over the remainder of the lease (With the landlords agreement) other sublet (again with the landlords permission).

As has been said it is possible to find something for for less than twelve months and if is someone who is subletting to get out of their lease it may even be cheaper.

Many people buy houses and then end let them out for a few months whilst they wait for their lease to end.

Being unemployed will limit your choices. When I was coming over I asked a realtor to help me find something but my lack of a job at the time meant that many of the more desirable rentals fell through. I did find a few who did not care about my lack of a job, all they said was "show me the money".

In the end I found someone who took 3 month rent as a deposit which was applied to the end of the lease (In Quebec deposits are illegal, though many landlords ignore this).

I did buy a house before my lease ended. My landlord did try to find someone to take it over but failed, so in the end I had to pay for two properties for a period of time.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

MrWindUpBird is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by britsnake
In my province it is not uncommon for people to advertise in the classified for someone to take over the remainder of the lease (With the landlords agreement) other sublet (again with the landlords permission).
I think in BC the standard lease contains a provision that the landlord can't deny any "reasonable" request to sublet. Especially if you offer to do all the work with posting ads, viewings, etc...
Old Jun 28th 2012, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you going? I lived in short-term, furnished rentals (month to month) every time I moved. Twice in Toronto, once in Vancouver, once in the Washington DC area. That gave me time to explore and find something more permanent.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 8:50 am
Just Joined

ralf12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies. I will see if I can get a shorter term lease or the option of subletting if the landlord agrees. Short term furnished will not be a good option, as I am shipping my furniture. I will be moving to Mississauga.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 10:40 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aviator
If I had a tenant on 12 month lease and they broke the lease, I would expect to be compensated
Compensated for what?
You have to have suffered a loss first, and the quickest/cheapest way to mitigate that is to try to find another tenant.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Compensated for what?
You have to have suffered a loss first, and the quickest/cheapest way to mitigate that is to try to find another tenant.
Advertising for new tenants incurs an expense, doesn't it?
Old Jun 28th 2012, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
And taking someone to court/tribunal is cheaper than advertising for new tenants? Or even worth the time/effort?
RTA's are notoriously favoured towards the tenant in most Provinces. At best, a tribunal will make the tenant responsible for the rent whilst the house is empty, but the landlord would have to show he'd made pretty strong atttempts to find a new tenant before they got any sympathy.

If the house is left empty for a couple of months or more, with no interest, it might be worth pursuing. Otherwise, you're better off cutting your losses IMO.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 2:24 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
As well as any lost rental income.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.