Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?

View Poll Results: What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?
Access to Canadian consular services when abroad.
0%
Ability to work in certain restricted civil service/military occupations.
2.17%
Able to work in Mexico/US under the provisions of NAFTA.
4.35%
Eligible for certain awards/recognition (e.g. Order of Canada).
0%
Feeling of belonging.
16.30%
Right of abode in Canada/not to be deported.
38.04%
Right to serve on a jury.
0%
Right to vote.
14.13%
Simpler to obtain Canadian passport than renew foreign one.
5.43%
No I-94/US-VISIT when visiting the US.
14.13%
I want to be a politician.
5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?

Old Jun 10th 2011, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?

we did it to save $24 every 3 months, but the not being pulled over to renew I94's and being treated like lo life....is priceless.....

we also did it for our children's future, altho I am happy here, this is not my country I will always be an alien who is privileged to be allowed to live here....but my children feel its where they belong, they can decide their future when they are older....but they now have more choices than before!!
Old Jun 10th 2011, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?

Originally Posted by Steve_P
and I had no idea citizens got a discount on coffee and pizza.
Quite, that wasn't explained to me at citizenship ceremony
Old Jun 10th 2011, 3:49 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Quite, that wasn't explained to me at citizenship ceremony
Well there was free coffee and those yummy maple leaf shaped Dare cookies at my swearing in....
Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith
You still need a passport as backup. Canadian or UK.

"Although NEXUS card holders will not be asked to show their passports at border crossings, technically they are supposed to have passports with them."
You don't need a passport with a NEXUS card if you are a US or Canadian citizen, there was an agreement under WHTI. I've spoken to plenty of people in the NEXUS line who don't have a passport. I don't know where you pulled that quote from but it's wrong. You can even use an EDL at land borders, the whole point was to avoid having to get a passport.

Anyway my point was with a NEXUS card and a UK passport (or other passport) there is little reason to get a Canadian one and a NEXUS card is cheaper and they take the photo for you. No references etc. either.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:09 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Anyway my point was with a NEXUS card and a UK passport (or other passport) there is little reason to get a Canadian one and a NEXUS card is cheaper and they take the photo for you. No references etc. either.
That is worth thinking about. Apart from the US there probably aren't many places that a canadian pp will be advantageous over a UK one. Though I like the idea of having multiple passports - just so I can put them in my suitcase with lots of different foreign currency and then feel like james bond.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:10 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
my boys have been across the border with out us a few times with just their NEXUS cards, they get pulled and questioned every time, they have given up using them and just use their CDN passports now, and they go through much easier!!!!
Conversely I have the reverse problem at YYC, I pull out my NEXUS card and they just wave me through once I get past the machine, but I have to explain that they still have to do the I-94 and stamp my passport! It's pretty unusual for people who aren't American or Canadian to have them.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:16 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That is worth thinking about. Apart from the US there probably aren't many places that a canadian pp will be advantageous over a UK one.
I'm definitely not getting a Canadian passport until they start issuing the new ten-year ones with the RFID chips "sometime" next year according to their website. Totally pointless at the moment given that NEXUS cards and passports are both valid for five years.

I don't know what the current final implementation date is for WHTI anymore, but last time I checked it was October 26, 2016, i.e. you must have a passport with a chip in it to enter the US on that date or after. Well if you get a five-year passport without the chip after October 26 this year then it will be basically useless towards the end of its validity. Possibly the USG has moved the implementation date to make up for hopelessly slow Canadian bureaucracy, I'm not sure.

But still, rather have a ten year passport than a five year one, definitely can manage with NEXUS until then.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That is worth thinking about. Apart from the US there probably aren't many places that a canadian pp will be advantageous over a UK one. Though I like the idea of having multiple passports - just so I can put them in my suitcase with lots of different foreign currency and then feel like james bond.
It's not very James Bond to have them all having the same name though, is it? More Basildon Bond
Old Jun 10th 2011, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Conversely I have the reverse problem at YYC, I pull out my NEXUS card and they just wave me through once I get past the machine, but I have to explain that they still have to do the I-94 and stamp my passport! It's pretty unusual for people who aren't American or Canadian to have them.

my husband and I have no issues going across at all with our NEXUS cards, my hubby works in the US, and goes across every day with it....but for some reason my boys have issues (they are 17 and 19) or rather they have issues that my boys have them, when they go across on their own they are pulled and questioned and asked why they have em, but they don't ask in a nice way, they have a real air about them in the way they ask that makes them feel guilty even tho they're not......i've been tempted to call them and tell them to stop hassling my boys.....and asking why they have to give them crap when they are actively wanting people to get a NEXUS card to make their life easier....but nothing would be gained from it!!!
Old Jun 10th 2011, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

You don't need a passport with a NEXUS card if you are a US or Canadian citizen, there was an agreement under WHTI. I've spoken to plenty of people in the NEXUS line who don't have a passport. I don't know where you pulled that quote from but it's wrong. You can even use an EDL at land borders, the whole point was to avoid having to get a passport.

That quote was from the Nexus Card web site.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 8:19 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Keith
That quote was from the Nexus Card web site.
But Steve_ know best.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 8:16 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Well according to this: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...uveid-eng.html it's only at land and marine POEs you don't need a passport, but on various other websites such as www.getyouhome.gov it doesn't say anything about passports and it doesn't mention them either in the instructions I got with my card. Also on the CBSA website it explicitly says here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...sujet-eng.html that it's an "alternative" to a passport, which sounds like you don't need one. And like I said, I've spoken to people - check-in staff who've checked people in with a NEXUS card (both here and in the US) and people in the NEXUS lane who didn't have passports. Also like I said, I've had CBP try and waive me through after I gave them the NEXUS customs declaration, she definitely wasn't expecting to see a passport.

But anyway, like I said to begin with, that wasn't really the point I was trying to make, you can use a different passport to travel abroad and a NEXUS card to get back in. Obviously nowhere else outside the US is going to accept your NEXUS card although CBP keep sending me e-mails about reciporical agreements they've made with other countries to accept them, such as the Netherlands (which further makes the point, why would they do that if you still need a passport?)

I'm going to have a chat with CBP and CBSA to clarify this.

Last edited by Steve_; Jun 11th 2011 at 8:23 am.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 8:23 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
i've been tempted to call them and tell them to stop hassling my boys.....and asking why they have to give them crap when they are actively wanting people to get a NEXUS card to make their life easier....but nothing would be gained from it!!!
What you do is ask for a comment card at the POE and the badge number of the inspector, I've lost count of the number of complaints I've made and they keep simplifying the card so it's basically all multiple choice now. However one time I remember asking for a card and they did suddenly become a lot more professional as I sat there doodling on it. Don't be afraid of complaining to the supervisor either, I had a supervisor direct an inspector to apologize to me for shouting at me.

If all else fails, make a complaint through DHS-TRIP, I've also done that. That goes into your entry record, and that also makes them think twice because they can see that you complain.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:50 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
yeah but are you Canadian??

I am "New-Canadian". I am a Canadian Citizen, therefore I am Canadian. I am also British .... what was the question?

Actually, I do feel more Canadian that British most of the time. When I went back to UK last week, I did not feel "at home" there at all .... the accents grated on me, and I couldn't wait to get home to Canada!
Old Jun 13th 2011, 4:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Right, I have spoken to CBSA, CBP and the NEXUS office...

CBP and NEXUS said the same thing, they don't care if you only have a NEXUS card at a POE but international airline regulations require you to have a passport (or certain other obscure documents), any passport will do, but you have to have one. The NEXUS people said it's quite common for your passport to never get checked when using NEXUS between the US and Canada by air, so there's an assumption you don't need one but technically you do. This is only by air obviously, not by land or water, a passport is not required for that if you have a NEXUS card and you're a Canadian or US citizen.

CBSA said that a Canadian citizenship certificate suffices under the transport regs for proof of being allowed entry to Canada, so if you have a foreign passport and a citizenship certificate you can board an aircraft to travel to Canada. NEXUS card is something additional, may help (obviously it means you use the NEXUS lane on arrival) but it's not necessary.

So from that I take it if you have a citizenship certificate, passport and a NEXUS card you can manage without a Canadian passport (in fact you don't need a NEXUS card either, but you'll still have to go through US-VISIT if you're using a UK passport on its own obviously).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.