Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?

View Poll Results: What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?
Access to Canadian consular services when abroad.
0%
Ability to work in certain restricted civil service/military occupations.
2.17%
Able to work in Mexico/US under the provisions of NAFTA.
4.35%
Eligible for certain awards/recognition (e.g. Order of Canada).
0%
Feeling of belonging.
16.30%
Right of abode in Canada/not to be deported.
38.04%
Right to serve on a jury.
0%
Right to vote.
14.13%
Simpler to obtain Canadian passport than renew foreign one.
5.43%
No I-94/US-VISIT when visiting the US.
14.13%
I want to be a politician.
5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?

Old Jun 8th 2011, 6:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?

Originally Posted by Oink
Wouldn't New Brunswick get upset?
Probably not. A new name for NB here would involve naming it twice.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 6:51 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the main reason you applied for/obtained/want Canadian citizenship?

We applied for citizenship in January and are now playing the waiting game.

My reasons for becoming a citizen are like a few others on this thread:

So I can come and go as I please
So my kids can come and go as they please

I will always be British and am not actually bothered about getting a Canadian passport, but I'm doing it 'for the kids'
Old Jun 8th 2011, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

B91212 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Keith
The longer you stay here the more Canadian you will feel, unless you make a deliberate effort to maintain return visits.

Iv'e been a Canadian Citizen and resident for 48 years and my connection to the UK is almost non-existent. I have returned for visits 3 times in that whole period. We came over as a family and enjoyed my yearly vacations here in the US/Canada. It's all about independence.
I understand what your saying. I do not make a deliberate attempt to stay British and I'm currently in my 4th year here I guess there is a long way to go. No plans to return to the UK other than for family reasons and so one day Canadian citizenship may mean more to me than it does now. Although, as someone else mentioned, I guess it will be the final piece in the immigration jigsaw.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 8:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B91212
I understand what your saying. I do not make a deliberate attempt to stay British and I'm currently in my 4th year here I guess there is a long way to go. No plans to return to the UK other than for family reasons and so one day Canadian citizenship may mean more to me than it does now. Although, as someone else mentioned, I guess it will be the final piece in the immigration jigsaw.
So long as it irritates me to ask for a black coffee or whatever burger I might want and get all those questions like do I want cream or milk in my (black) coffee , do I want fries or pop or 'combo' it etc....well I'm afraid I can't embrace the feeling of being Canadian.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So long as it irritates me to ask for a black coffee or whatever burger I might want and get all those questions like do I want cream or milk in my (black) coffee , do I want fries or pop or 'combo' it etc....well I'm afraid I can't embrace the feeling of being Canadian.
There is always the take it or leave it attitude that used to prevail in the UK when I left. It was quite refreshing to be treated politely when I arrived here in 1963.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:17 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There is always the take it or leave it attitude that used to prevail in the UK when I left. It was quite refreshing to be treated politely when I arrived here in 1963.
Did you meet Christine Keeler? Steve missed out.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:33 pm
Oscar nominated

That's debatable. I would agree that service is generally more polite but too often scripted.

Especially when someone gives priority to the script about milk or cream without listening to my request for black coffee.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Did you meet Christine Keeler? Steve missed out.
Poor old Harold Macmillan he really had a bunch queers and bi-sexuals in his government. Typical Tory.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:04 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Poor old Harold Macmillan he really had a bunch queers and bi-sexuals in his government. Typical Tory.
Well, I just think it's a shame that Steve and you were dragged off to the colonies by desperate parents before you both had a chance to bask in the white hot heat of the Wilsonian renaissance.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 3:34 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I just think it's a shame that Steve and you were dragged off to the colonies by desperate parents before you both had a chance to bask in the white hot heat of the Wilsonian renaissance.
I lived in Harold Wilson's riding before moving to Canada.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

I dragged my two kid and a wife. And BTW Ms Keeler was/is far too young for me. ( She is 12 years younger)

Last edited by Keith; Jun 9th 2011 at 1:01 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 12:53 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Found this on a previous thread on the same subject.

So, none of the above really. Perhaps not a no brainer for everyone. Unless I've missed something.

I'll keep my UK passport - the process of which for renewing is easier than applying for citizenship and Canadian passport.
Unless things have changed dramatically since 2004, the citizenship application was a doddle. Applying for my first passport invoved a few hassles (guarantors and references) but renewal is a breeze.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:51 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvy
Unless things have changed dramatically since 2004, the citizenship application was a doddle. Applying for my first passport invoved a few hassles (guarantors and references) but renewal is a breeze.
Even the guarantor is much easier now.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc153.pdf (Section K, page 3) they can even be a family member now.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 5:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

You don't even need a passport, just get a NEXUS card. They take the picture for you, although on mine it looks like the CBP flag is coming out of my head.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve_
You don't even need a passport, just get a NEXUS card. They take the picture for you, although on mine it looks like the CBP flag is coming out of my head.
I believe the Nexus card is only good for travel to the States.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.