Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is the longest ........

Wikiposts

What is the longest ........

Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light
Default What is the longest ........

time you have ever spent in Canada as a tourist?!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:53 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the longest ........

We have been to Alberta three times so six weeks in total.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:55 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

5mths over 2 periods in the same year. During the second trip I applied for a TWP, and have been here ever since (close to 4yrs).
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

Is it easy applying for a temporary work permit (TWP)? do you need to have work or a job offer in order to be able to apply for one?

How long do they take to be processed?

That gives me hope that my husband will be able to go back to the UK after a few months in Canada, and return again.

So many questions!!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I spent several months at a time in Toronto when I was in my early twenties (and dating a Canadian), I think the longest time was 5 months.

Recently it's only been a week or two at a time due to the constraints of work and children...........ah, to be young again!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllyS
Is it easy applying for a temporary work permit (TWP)? do you need to have work or a job offer in order to be able to apply for one?

That gives me hope that my husband will be able to go back to the UK after a few months in Canada, and return again.

So many questions!!
No, it's not easy (particularly given the current economic climate), to get one. You do need a job offer, and not only that but the potential employer also has to get something called a LMO - which is basically proof that they have advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian to do it.

Finding a job can take the most time, then the LMO takes from 6-12 weeks. So all in all, usually about 6 months. Have a read of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) for more info about TWP's.

Hoep that helps.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:12 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

So many questions!!
You need to start reading the Wiki: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Tempor...Permits-Canada

My TWP application was processed at the border within a couple of hours, but I didn't take a typical route to gain residency here (I started my own business), so it's not representative of most people's experiences.

Be aware that it's at immigrations discretion whether or not to permit you into the country as a tourist. There are no guarantees.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

So its totally feasible then that my husband can stay out in Canada with me for at least 5 months at a time while we get our lives over there sorted and without us having to be separated for months on end.

That was the answer I was looking for!

He can afford not to have to work for 3 years or more, however, from what I gather it is down to the Canadian authorities to decide how long he gets to stay in Canada given our spousal application situation cf. just tourists.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:22 am
Pea Brain

So its totally feasible then that my husband can stay out in Canada with me for at least 5 months at a time while we get our lives over there sorted and without us having to be separated for months on end.

That was the answer I was looking for!
That's not the answer you got, though. It's not 'totally feasible'.

If immigration perceive your husband to be using Canada as his primary place of residence, then it's perfectly likely he could be refused entry. A cycle of staying here for months on end, popping back to the UK for a few months, then returning to Canada could well raise suspicions, and lead to refusal of entry. As I said before, it's at immigration's discretion.

The brother of a friend of mine was refused entry in January, having spent the last 3yrs flying between the UK and Canada. He's now got the problem of a houseful of possessions over here, a distraught fiance and no right to return.

Last edited by R I C H; Mar 5th 2009 at 4:24 am.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

As Rich said, it's not guaranteed. But hopefully he'd be granted the normal 6 months tourist visa - just make sure he doesn't look as if he's planning on staying longer i.e. don't turn up with all his worldly possessions and make sure he can show ties back to the UK.

Why can't you just apply for spousal PR in the UK if you don't want to be separated, and wait for that before moving? Are you a Canadian citizen?

Hopefully you'll have your spousal sponsorship sorted quite quickly anyway, best of luck.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh heck! well we're just going to have to face the harsh reality of months apart having just got married.

This was the part I was dreading and the part my fiance was dreading.

So is it official that Canada is one of (if not THE) hardest country to get into as an immigrant??
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

So is it official that Canada is one of (if not THE) hardest country to get into as an immigrant??
Nope, just try the US, it wins that title hands down!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

No, I'm not a Canadian citizen, I'm British, and as I understand it, the principal applicant has to stay in Canada continuing with the application.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

No, I'm not a Canadian citizen, I'm British, and as I understand it, the principal applicant has to stay in Canada continuing with the application.
Ah, I see. If you were a citizen then you could apply whilst still in the UK and have it all processed without setting foot in Canada! So you got PR status before you got married?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 5th 2009 at 4:42 am.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:39 am
Pea Brain

I don't know how you make that judgment, it's so dependent on your skills, qualifications, and many other variables. I think the requirements demanded for immigration here are on the whole reasonably fair, though the process is perhaps not always very efficient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.