Old Sep 13th 2003, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Daltrey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Luckily...

Hollywood only makes or sets movies in and around
the Oxfordshire area.

Thus the average Yank or Canuck thinks the whole of England
is like Oxford.

When in fact it's much closer to what you've described.
Someone posted this on another board and it's absolutely hilarious.

http://www.idler.co.uk/html/frontsec..._5/england.htm

Last edited by Daltrey; Sep 13th 2003 at 12:46 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

When you move to coutry as large as Canada you need to take into account many things, especially location.

From what I know about the east coast, it may be a nice place for summer vacations, but as someone that came from the south of England, I know I could no more live there than I could live in the prairie provinces, too remote. For me there were two choices Southern Ontario or coastal BC.

We have now been here in Ottawa over 40 years and could't think of any other place I would rather be. All my close family and freinds are here. No real ties to the UK at all.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all
Default Re: Hmmm...

Originally posted by Daltrey
Well,

I've lived in the UK,US and Canada
and I have visted Halifax,NS. on 2 occasions
once for 2 weeks on a training course and once on Holidays
and I have a hard time imagining anyone prefering much
of the the UK over Halifax.

First off it is on the ocean,ok no big deal,
secondly it has trees everywhere,it's a very green
city,it has little crime,the people are mostly
ancestors of English and Scots and thus are very friendly
and it's clean and uncongested and the office workers do not work Saturday and Sunday,that it bogus.

Considering you haven't lived in Halifax Daltry how would you know if people work on the weekends, many of our friends do. We have nothing to gain from making it up!!!

One person in my husbands office has been off work for months now and doesn't think he will be coming back as he had a nervous breakdown from overwork...And there are other people who have had the same happen.

Personally my motto is Work to Live, not Live to work and it is down to the individual to stand up for themselves and not do too much overtime. There are people in the UK too who do this overworking as well and I think they are pretty sad too.....

My point really overall is that most of the things people whinge about in the UK are exactly the same here pretty much, bar a couple of things...

Last edited by daisymoll; Sep 13th 2003 at 1:04 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all
Default Re: Oh Yeah...

I missed that comment about not saying anything againt NS or Canada having lived in Canada for 8 years the reason why is
that Canadians aren't inclined to self-loathing.

That is a British thing.

Also the overall tax burden of both the UK and Canada is around 37%,in fact Canada is marginally lower.

The UK has lower income taxes,but,Canada has lower
federal taxes.

A recent BBC poll states approximately 53%
of Brits want to emigrate,how many Canucks do you figure want to emigrate?

No idea,but,I've never heard anyone mention it,not like they do in the UK,perhaps 3-5% maybe?

I can't really call not whinging
about the country you live in a character fault.

I have absolutely no problem slagging Canucks
as I do it myself on a daily basis but,you have to
slag them where it's due.

For example,hockey what kind of a sport is that?

Football should be the national sport,it is the only
really international sport.

Canada sucks at football,
so support England I say,we helped build this country !

Couldn't agree more, I wish that the Brits would be prouder about their country, they have plenty to be proud about!!!

Unfortunately one tactic of the opposing poltical party in the UK is always to make the popluation feel as if the current power that be is running the country into the ground. Many Canadians seem to have no idea about other parts of the world, so this is why less people have the desire to move anywhere else. News about other countries seems to be much more limited in North America.

Anyway, this is getting boring. Some people prefer the UK, Some Canada, both have good and bad things. Neither place is some kind of paradise...
Old Sep 13th 2003, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

kathleen_cg is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by fried_emu
I live in a town in South Yorkshire called Doncaster.
When we first moved here I was in shock, I had visited many times. But living in a country is different.
Everything was filthy and these underground walkways had vagrants and smelled of urine.
It seemed like there was cement everywhere and grass was only to be had in the countryside.
People still smoked in shopping malls and on buses.
The computer market was arachic.
The grocery shops were the worst though!!!! - they have no idea how to store food. The eggs are not refridgerated :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: !!!! Have they not heard of salmonella???

So, what part of Canada did you mistakenly move from?
Me, Ontario. I've lived in Bradford ON, Aurora ON, Keswick ON, and Hamilton ON.

Fried

Hi,

I lived most of my life in Quebec, but spent the last 5 years before moving over here in Ottawa. We plan on moving back next year and I can't wait to get home.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

BigBill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hmmm...

Well,

I've lived in the UK,US and Canada
and I have visted Halifax,NS. on 2 occasions
once for 2 weeks on a training course and once on Holidays
and I have a hard time imagining anyone prefering much
of the the UK over Halifax.

First off it is on the ocean,ok no big deal,
secondly it has trees everywhere,it's a very green
city,it has little crime,the people are mostly
ancestors of English and Scots and thus are very friendly
and it's clean and uncongested and the office workers do not work Saturday and Sunday,that it bogus.

It is more diverse than it appears at first glance I have driven by
Dalhousie University to find Indian students playing cricket
on the football field and it has a number of ethnic restaurants
including at least 8 Japanese resaurants.I know I had to find them my wife grew up in Japan and loves Japanese food.

And that comment about the NHS is a crock as well,Canada
is usually the model of which countries mention health care,
I will state that it has gone downhill loads in the last decade,but,still the NHS?The NHS has been severely
underfunded for decades and everyone knows it.
Tony Blair has even admitted it.

Come one the NHS is probably the poorest and I mean that figuratively as well as literally of all the G8 countries.
Ever been hospitilized in London and been hooked up to a rusting oxygen tank left over from world war II?

My grandfather was recently,unbelievable really.

If you are from London I can see where it may be a whole lot slower for you but,on the other hand the whole East Coast of the US,New Jersey,New York,Boston all these people are buying up coastal properties like crazy because of the value.

So while you may not like it, personally I wouldn't mind moving there,if I could get transfered.

Canada is utopia, the UK isn't. No dissenting opinions are allowed.
You're overplaying your hand Daltrey. Canada is a fine country, but perfect it ain't. Has some similar problems to the UK, some of its own. By the way...saying you would consider moving abroad isn't the same as actively seeking to move abroad. Not all that dissimliar to canucks considering opportunities down in the states. And lets not get started on the brain drain from canada from the US.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 5:59 pm
Keelie

Default Alberta Schools and your kids.

For those of you with school-age kids who are heading this way..here's something positive. (From this morning's local newspaper).

An American researcher and author has singled out Edmonton Alberta Public Schools as the best managed school district in North America.

'The fact that you've got 87 percent first graders and 92 percent of 12th graders at or above grade level in the provincial achievement tests is really incredible" says William Ouchi, a professor from Calif.
This is a small excerpt from the article...someone may find it useful.

Old Sep 13th 2003, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Default Say what ???

Sorry Big Bill if I'm overplaying my hand as you say,
but,I have no idea as to what you are talking about.

Basically all I'm attempting to do is debunk some stuff
that I think is being said that is inaccurate as I see it
as I've been here a while.

I would do the same if I felt something was being said
incorrectly about the UK and I'm not speaking about opinions,
but I haven't lived there in ages so I really wouldn't know
what areas or to what time in the evening Tesco delivers sort of thing so I wouldn't comment on that.

It's one thing to say taxes are higher in Canada and the NHS,
is superior and all that but,it still doesn't make it true.
unemployment is higher in Canada,and
it's friggin frigid in the winter absolutely.

As I said I don't mind slagging Canada but,if your going to be inaccurate about it I may point it out.Everyone is
entitled to their opinion,so am I.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Default ????????????

Huh?????????
Old Sep 14th 2003, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Default Guess you missed the point

My point was that opinions are like you know what everyone
has one,everyone is different and has different experiences.

But when someone says something that is completely false
(that is provable i.e taxes) just to slag a place for whatever reason ie.being homesick,one can't adjust,it's not what they expected and so on,then I certainly feel that I'm not being unreasonable in pointing that out.

It's like saying England is full off standofish snooty wankers,
well that's an opinion,but,if I said England has the poorest literacy rate of any industrialised nation,just because I'd been there 6 months and ran into a bunch of bumbling yobs,well
then I should expect someone to take issue with the supposed factual part of that comment.

Last edited by Daltrey; Sep 14th 2003 at 12:53 am.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 2:51 am
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Say what ???

Originally posted by daisymoll
all of the things you think are better are still just your opnion Daltrey....Other peoples opinions are allowed to differ. Still you have the perfect Canadian attitude in that respect....
I've said it before Daisymoll, but I think I'll repeat myself. On a site for expats its natural that you're coming to come across people who are disatisfied in someway with their lives in the UK. One or two will even be slightly manic about it. Its nothing that I get too worked up about...I still have loads of friends and family in the UK who are doing fine. Thats who I trust.
All the best Daisy.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Just to balance things out......

I much prefer Canada to the UK....I guess I am one of the lucky few that likes it here ? Here are some things I like.....

I am actually doing some post grad study over here and I am overwhelmed by how much more advanced they are here with the use of technology! The UK system seems archaic.

Also I find this country so much more liberal than the UK.

There is much less of a drinking culture here, people can go out and enjoy others company without getting slaughtered.

I feel much safer here walking down the street late at night.

The houses are bigger!

I don't have to travel on stinky, crappy trains here. The trains are clean efficient and ON TIME!!!!!

People aren't down on themselves, everyone seems more confident and positive (my experience anyway!). People take pride in being a Canadian

Canada is huge country with so much to offer, from wilderness to polar bears to the rocky mountains to great lakes! There is even a desert in BC!

I love the seasons here, they are so distinct.

Anyone else got any likes or dislikes ?

Int.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 4:05 am
Keelie

The God's honour Truth...after thirty years here I still detest winter!

It's too bloody long, and the sight of snow, winter parkas,and slippery sidewalks is something I could live without.
Trying to start a car in the morning when the temperature is below zero, is not for wimps.
Thank God I don't have to do it. That's the worst part about living here. If you can get over winter, the rest is very good.
If I'd had had the choice when I first arrived here, I would have gone to British Columbia ....the winters are less harsh, more like what I'm used to...lots of rain and four distinct seasons... I can live with that.

The only way to resolve this dilemma is to escape the winter at all costs, if you are able. We're fortunate in that we manage to escape to Mexico or the Southern States during the worst months...otherwise I'd go mad.
So if you come here, save hard for your retirement and get the hell outta here in winter....unless of course you love to ski, and really don't mind cold weather.

Just got back from the movies...saw a 'sneak preview' of "Under the Tuscan Sun" Diane Lane...lovely movie..made me want to jump on a plane and restore an old house in Tuscany...ahh.. we're such dreamers, why not?
Keelie.

Old Sep 14th 2003, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Say what ???

Originally posted by AndrewR
I've said it before Daisymoll, but I think I'll repeat myself. On a site for expats its natural that you're coming to come across people who are disatisfied in someway with their lives in the UK. One or two will even be slightly manic about it. Its nothing that I get too worked up about...I still have loads of friends and family in the UK who are doing fine. Thats who I trust.
All the best Daisy.

I know Andrew, I don't know why I bother. I do feel that I am able to give a balanced view where as some people have just their opinions and that is all that you are allowed to have. Thats what I get frustrated about.

Some people are just so pro somewhere that they are unable to see anybody elses point of view.

I realise that everyone isn't going to love the Uk and that it won't be right and that some people will love Canada. Each to their own.

You're right though and I'm giving up trying to have a fair debate.

We're probably not even debating a level playing field when I think about it, as taxes are higher in Nova Scotia than in Ontario, so that probably explains a bit of it.

Last edited by daisymoll; Sep 14th 2003 at 12:21 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

tonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The truth

Just to clarify my comment on taxes:

Here (in Nova Scotia - maybe its different elsewhere) the following have occured:

1. I pay 31% tax (based upon my latest pay slip.
2. In the UK I paid 27% tax.
3. I now earn 25% less than I did in the UK.

Everything else I've said is opinion and hearsay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.