Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is life like in Sudbury/Ontario?

What is life like in Sudbury/Ontario?

Old Nov 25th 2005, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Smile What is life like in Sudbury/Ontario?

Have looked at lots of pictures of Sudbury and it looks very much like Calgary, except perhaps more variety in vegetation and of course no mountains. Could someone please tell me what job market is like there, schools, crime, house prices? A place a for a young family?

Appreciate any advice.

Gezza
Old Nov 25th 2005, 3:53 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is life like in Sudbury/Ontario?

Originally Posted by Gezza
Have looked at lots of pictures of Sudbury and it looks very much like Calgary, except perhaps more variety in vegetation and of course no mountains. Could someone please tell me what job market is like there, schools, crime, house prices? A place a for a young family?

Appreciate any advice.

Gezza
AFAIK Sudbury is well off the beaten track.... Its industry is dominated by iron and steel production. The highlight of the Sudbury film festival is watching them empty the iron smelters....

I guess its pretty much small town Canada...

HTH
Old Nov 25th 2005, 4:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
AFAIK Sudbury is well off the beaten track.... Its industry is dominated by iron and steel production. The highlight of the Sudbury film festival is watching them empty the iron smelters....

HTH
Nickel mining was the industry, when there was industry. A tough post industrial place with high unemployment and brutually cold weather. It pleases me that people who work for Revenue Canada have to live there.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 4:27 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand

HTH
Industry remains dominated by mining (not iron and steel). Inco and Falconbridge are easily the largest industrial employers. As dbd indicated, though, most people work for either one of the sundry levels of government or in health/education.

If Inco and/or Falconbridge pack up their tents (probably not very likely but these things can happen and they tend to happen suddenly), Sudbury's economic base would be knackered. It would be a government town.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 6:46 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Industry remains dominated by mining (not iron and steel). Inco and Falconbridge are easily the largest industrial employers. As dbd indicated, though, most people work for either one of the sundry levels of government or in health/education.

If Inco and/or Falconbridge pack up their tents (probably not very likely but these things can happen and they tend to happen suddenly), Sudbury's economic base would be knackered. It would be a government town.
In my defence, I haven't visited Sudbury, the Editor of HWMBO's latest film lives there, and he spent a weekend over there at the end of the Sudbury Film Festival in October. Nothing I have said would ever stand up in a court of law
Old Nov 25th 2005, 6:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If memory serves Sudbury has some of the worst air quality in Canada, as well as the most poluting industrial sources.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:00 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
If memory serves Sudbury has some of the worst air quality in Canada, as well as the most poluting industrial sources.
Could well be. Nickel smelters are nasty things. All sorts of horrid heavy metals involved there.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Appreciate any advice.

Gezza
I know someone who lives there. She said yesterday the snow was up to the door knob on the front and wasn't looking forward to having to shovel out. And it is eary in the season so not a "bad" snow yet! You have to drive an SUV (a real one meant for bad roads, not the fancy crap people drive in town) or you won't go anywhere in winter. High unemployment area with mining being the major industry along with government offices. She is self-employed (writer) and her husband is a long haul truck driver.

If you really want to move there, I wouldn't go unless I already had a job lined up. Better really LOVE snow and cold weather too.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sysclp
If you really want to move there, I wouldn't go unless I already had a job lined up. Better really LOVE snow and cold weather too.
Also the landscape, Canadians romanticise stony ground and laud the Group of Seven, but you can't grow anything and, after a while, one rock looks a lot like the next.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:54 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Also the landscape, Canadians romanticise stony ground and laud the Group of Seven, but you can't grow anything and, after a while, one rock looks a lot like the next.
We drove through Sudbury on our way to Ottawa in 1972 don't remember much about the place other than it looked pretty desolate (lots of rock not many trees).

I could be wrong here, but I seem to remember back in the days of the first moon landings. That NASA used the terrain around Sudbury to train astronauts.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Hangman
I could be wrong here, but I seem to remember back in the days of the first moon landings. That NASA used the terrain around Sudbury to train astronauts.
I can believe that, it's empty and there are huge boulders strewn about, very bleak. There are also a great number of abandoned houses along the side of the road from Sudbury to the Soo suggesting that plenty of people failed to make a go of the north. Brrrrrr.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 8:05 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I can believe that, it's empty and there are huge boulders strewn about, very bleak. There are also a great number of abandoned houses along the side of the road from Sudbury to the Soo suggesting that plenty of people failed to make a go of the north. Brrrrrr.
Yep I was right.

This is a quote from the Wikipedia page on Sudbury.

"Sudbury was known for many years as a wasteland. During the Apollo manned lunar exploration program, NASA astronauts trained in Sudbury, to become familiar with shatter cones, a rare rock formation connected with meteorite impacts. However, the popular misconception that they were visiting Sudbury because it resembled the lifeless surface of the moon dogged the city for years."

From what I remember that misconception wasn't far wrong.

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Oh Dear! And what about Thunder Bay?
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:48 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Appreciate any advice.

Gezza
It's stinky. Seriously. If the wind is blowing the wrong way, the whole place smells like a rotten egg and everytime I've been there, the wind was blowing the wrong way.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Oh Dear! And what about Thunder Bay?
Big ski jump, home of Shania Twain. I went there once and couldn't see anything from the car windows as the roads were slots in the snow with 20' ice walls. Less people than Sudbury, less smell, worse weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.