Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What job do you do now and what job do you want to do in Canada?

What job do you do now and what job do you want to do in Canada?

Old Sep 18th 2005, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Almasi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What job do you do now and what job do you want to do in Canada?

Originally Posted by Posidrive
This is a bit of a difficult one, especially if you are not yet in Canada. The word around town at the moment is that there is an immediate need for about 200 Chemical Engineers in Calgary/Alberta. Our company is loosing a lot of people to the E&C companies, even those with somewhat tenuous oil and gas experience such as documentation engineers have moved into process engineering positions. So try directly contacting the local big players such as Jacobs, Colt, Bantrel and Fluor. One option if you are not yet her might be to try to get a job with one of theses guys in the UK and try for an inter office transfer after a successful project completion. Jacobs, Fluor and Bantrel (Bechtel) have UK offices.

You might also want to invesigate trying to get a job in the Fort McMurray area to jump start the Canadian experience. It's the back end of nowhere, but not a lot of people want to go there despite the relatively high wages. Not likely to get a pure design job there, but at least something using Chemical Engineering experience.

There are many, many recruitment agencies here. There is a directory you can buy that gives industry specific agency contact details. My copy is still in a box waiting to leave the UK, so can't remember what it is. I got it at the Sandown Park Emmigrate show. To be quite blunt, for chemical engineers the Monster and Workoplis web sites are a waste of time. Anyone else know these directories?
Cheers for the heads up. I believe CalgaryAMC (sorry if handle incorrect) had highlighted FM as a place to go but pointed out the cost factor as well as harsh environment. I acually went to FM for one of my interviews - remember being shown around a suburb 'teakwood' for potential real estate...the prices were on par with those in the UK. Interestingly I saw the job advertised for months after my knockback although sometimes with a renaming of the post...go figure. Got a rec trip end of October in Calgary. Hopefully can get some leg work done with the tips you gave me. Now just need to organise some decent (read economic ) accomodation.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

beeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: What job do you do now and what job do you want to do in Canada?

Originally Posted by Bsidebaby
Well I thought it might be interesting reading if we all put down what jobs we do now and what jobs we want to do once in Canada.

As for me I am a Secretary/PA and would like to become a Wedding Consultant in Canada as well as running my own online Rosary business.

What about you'all?
funny you should say a wedding planner as although i am an estate agent/driving instructor here in england i have also got a new invention for weddings and partys which i am thinking of setting up at some date in canada too. we have just applied to go to calgary and have been told 3-4 months (using a relocation company)
Old Sep 20th 2005, 3:24 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by Almasi
Interestingly I saw the job advertised for months after my knockback although sometimes with a renaming of the post...go figure.
You get used to it after a while - I had a lot of that in my early years here, it's a royal pain in the @ss.

Old Sep 20th 2005, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beeginger
funny you should say a wedding planner as although i am an estate agent/driving instructor here in england i have also got a new invention for weddings and partys which i am thinking of setting up at some date in canada too. we have just applied to go to calgary and have been told 3-4 months (using a relocation company)

Good luck with that timescale - although I think it's wrong - particularly if you're applying via Federal Skilled Worker route - I hope I'm wrong :scared:
Old Sep 20th 2005, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

tstevens is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a nurse, my husband a ceramic tiler.....ideally I would like torun a small B&B...my husband is open to offers!

Tanya
Old Sep 20th 2005, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

I am in IT / Project management in the UK.

I will not be working in an office in Canada! (especially given the low annual leave there I don't see the point in swapping one air-conditioned view out of a window for another with less holiday!)

Will be starting from scratch with a trades qualification from a Canadian school. Probably in the aviation field as I have a Canadian pilots license and would like to work in the industry.

My other half is a Physiotherapist and has passed the various exams to allow her to continue doing that in Canada (although she'd like to be a wedding planner, given how popular that seems to be with Brits on this board I think it'll be a saturated market!).

Cheers, Iain
Old Sep 21st 2005, 12:33 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
I will not be working in an office in Canada! (especially given the low annual leave there I don't see the point in swapping one air-conditioned view out of a window for another with less holiday!)
The reality is you have little chance of getting frostbite working in an air conditioned office ... there is demand in Canada for PMP qualified project managers.

Old Sep 21st 2005, 5:41 pm
KJT
Forum Regular

KJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really nice

In relation to the original question...

I was a Police Officer in the UK. Now I am an Area Manager for an Automotive Engineering Company in Ontario. I have no idea how that happened really!!! I have only been in Canada 4 months and have no experience in the field! But they are more than happy with what I am doing for them!!!!

Take Care

KJT
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:14 am
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

I ran a graphic design business in the UK for about 9 years. Will start a new business over there - just brainstorming ideas at the moment!

While I'm working on my new business empire, I will probably be behind the counter at Starbucks/Cafe Crepe for a bit!
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJT
In relation to the original question...

I was a Police Officer in the UK. Now I am an Area Manager for an Automotive Engineering Company in Ontario. I have no idea how that happened really!!! I have only been in Canada 4 months and have no experience in the field! But they are more than happy with what I am doing for them!!!!

Take Care

KJT
Hi KJT

How did you get into a job with no experience? I ask because my wife and I would like to live in Canada but we have heard a lot about how hard it is to get British experience and quals accepted in Canada. Also, the number of people round this forum who got jobs not because of their skills but because they "knew someone" in the right place.

It can't be as depressing as this.

Cheers

T.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 4:58 am
Cowtown

Originally Posted by tableland
Also, the number of people round this forum who got jobs not because of their skills but because they "knew someone" in the right place.
I'm not sure anyone has said exactly that - even if you have the skills, it still helps a lot if you know someone who knows about an opening that would suit you.

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almasi
Cheers for the heads up. I believe CalgaryAMC (sorry if handle incorrect) had highlighted FM as a place to go but pointed out the cost factor as well as harsh environment. I acually went to FM for one of my interviews - remember being shown around a suburb 'teakwood' for potential real estate...the prices were on par with those in the UK. Interestingly I saw the job advertised for months after my knockback although sometimes with a renaming of the post...go figure. Got a rec trip end of October in Calgary. Hopefully can get some leg work done with the tips you gave me. Now just need to organise some decent (read economic ) accomodation.
Might also be worthwhile contacting Imperial Oil. They are relocating to Calgary and the rumour is that they need a lot more staff
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

I had various jobs in the UK....
Firstly I worked as an electrician for a caravan manufacturer in Hull.
I then worked as an environmental engineer for a company just outside Leeds and most recently a Systems Administrator for a firm of architects in Leeds city centre.
In Canada, apparently I'm fit for nothing more than retail, hence the reason I'm moving to Manchester in April.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:52 pm
Banned

steals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by seacreature
I then worked as an environmental engineer for a company just outside Leeds and most recently a Systems Administrator for a firm of architects in Leeds city centre.
In Canada, apparently I'm fit for nothing more than retail, hence the reason I'm moving to Manchester in April.
looking at your other posts could you not be a proffesional whinger
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seacreature
I have heard a lot on this subject of not getting "appropriate" work. Have you tried for a while to get something decent, and is your present job really taht bad?

Originally Posted by Cowtown
I'm not sure anyone has said exactly that - even if you have the skills, it still helps a lot if you know someone who knows about an opening that would suit you
People on here have written that they only got their jobs because of personal contacts. It happens the world over, but for such a small forum I was shocked at how many times I saw it come up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.