Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What if........

What if........

Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

mikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to all
Default What if........

Sitting here wondering what to do next as i am getting a little bored......when this thought came to my head.

If you go to Canada on a PNP. You get there and the job is not what you thought it would be. Can you change to another employer in the same field or can you change your career direction entirely? Do you run the risk of getting chucked out?

What thoughts i get when i have little to do.

Enjoy your day where ever you may be and stay safe.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:32 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What if........

PNP is just a glorified work permit with fast track PR attached.

If you dont like the job (or the job doesnt like you), then you would have to get a LMO / revised work permit for a different employer, like anyone else on a temp work permit.

Once PR is granted all bets are off. You might be stuck in that one province, although the chances of repercussions if you moved on are slim, and after three years PR you can apply for citizenship, and at that point the charter of rights guarantees you the right to live anywhere and so anything, so all bets are definitely off at that point.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

I have been told by a friend who was at the border recently that if you want to move your place of work and you have been accepted onto the PNP scheme, all you need is the certificate to say you were a nominee and a job offer. No LMO is needed at this piont.

I am not sure if this is totally correct and I am checking it out with immigration as we speak

Anybody have any other experience of this?
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

As you get your PR quite quickly on this route, you probably would want to give a job at least this long to really decide if you like it. This sort of resolves the problem somewhat.

There is another issue though. If your employer has sponsored you for PNP I would think that you morally owe them some service. Also if you up and leave really fast they are less likely to want to sponsor anyone else as it becomes labour intensive and fruitless for them.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure where I read it (probably on this site somewhere), but I thought you were 'obliged' to remain in the province that nominated you for a set period of time, say, two years?

Maybe someone who has received PNP and/or their PR via that route could tell us if there were any caveats in their paperwork?

Once you've got that PR though, to be honest, who is going to know if you head off to another province?

I think the point made above about some element of loyalty to the employer rings true though. I'd hope that people would not 'use' this sytem purely to get over here, knowing they would bugger off after 3 months. It just abuses and jeopardises a system that could be good for hundreds behind you in the queue. But if the job really, really doesn't work out, then so be it ....
Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

mikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ann m
Not sure where I read it (probably on this site somewhere), but I thought you were 'obliged' to remain in the province that nominated you for a set period of time, say, two years?

Maybe someone who has received PNP and/or their PR via that route could tell us if there were any caveats in their paperwork?

Once you've got that PR though, to be honest, who is going to know if you head off to another province?

I think the point made above about some element of loyalty to the employer rings true though. I'd hope that people would not 'use' this sytem purely to get over here, knowing they would bugger off after 3 months. It just abuses and jeopardises a system that could be good for hundreds behind you in the queue. But if the job really, really doesn't work out, then so be it ....
I am not saying that i would cut and run but many years ago i was offered a job, which i took, with a certian amount of benefits and promises. once i was there a week or two the company screwed me against the wall and through "loyality" i hung in because i felt i owed them something. thing was i owed them nothing as my work life was a bloody misery. i am sure there may be employers all over the world who are capable of the same thing!!!!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

My husband does not want to be looking for a job . We are on the PNP but he cannot stand working for the company he started with. He is a trucker and hates the system over here.

PR should be round the corner we have had our meds done, if the province doesn't mind him changing his job then so be it...