Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What have you done for me lately?

What have you done for me lately?

Old Nov 12th 2006, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What have you done for me lately?

I just thought I'd mention that the Low Fire Department has a website now (I did it for them).

you can check it out at www.lowfiredept.ca

There are a few bits left to do but most of it is done.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 11:03 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sean Boxer
Just a quick update:

After 3 weeks of sitting around I finally got to do some training.

We jumped in the Engines, drove up to the lake and drilled a hole in the ice. I was taught how to run a petrol driven pump to feed water into the fire engine so it can continue to run the hoses.

After that I had a go on the hose, they were saying that normally two guys work the hose as it's so powerful but I didn't find it that bad, maybe after an hour or so it would get tough but who knows what it's like in a real situation eh?

One bit of bad news is that I'm not allowed to drive the engine.
You need two years experience on your licence and, as I'm sure we all know by now, our experience gets wiped when we swap from Brit to Canadian licences - we're going to appeal.

I was really disappointed when I found out, I mean all I'm trying to do is help people.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the Transport Dept employee who decided on that rule had a fire in his house . . . .

Anyway, it's still good fun, even if I have to sit in the passenger seat.

Looking forward to saving someone now.

Sounds like you are really enjoying this.

So sorry you can't get to drive the big fire truck, but maybe when you're bigger they might let you.

Raine
Old Nov 12th 2006, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by raine66
Sounds like you are really enjoying this.

Raine
Well I'm not sure if enjoying is the right word now, it was at the start but then we had a couple of nasty fires with people dying and it became something more than an 'adrenaline rush' every once in a while.

Now I'd say it's more like a sense of duty, the things that I feel most when we're racing to a fire is the hope that we get there in time and that I don't let my team mates down.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:12 am
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Good on you - volunteering seems like a really good way to give something back and help people you may not usually come in to contact with. My friend is a big volunteerer and she helps out with the homeless charities (in soup kitchens and suchlike) and also as a 'big sister'... this is what I hope to do.

It is an international organisation but here is the link for the Edmonton one (I am sure you could find your wife's area from it)

http://www.bsbb.org/volunteer/

Good luck
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:53 am
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

Good on you Sean, pitty there are not more like you in this world, this world would be a better place.

Nice site by the way,

Keep us all updated
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:54 am
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

this is an excellent thread , well done for doing something so worthwhile you should feel proud of yourself ,
luv dee xxx
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhodes
What's the Humane Society?
They are a society who are 'humane'.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:08 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
They are a society who are 'humane'.
Just thought I'd mention in case you hadn't noticed, that that question was asked two years ago, and the member no longer posts here .....

I wonder what happened to Rhodes?