Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

what happens with you pet...????

what happens with you pet...????

Old Jun 2nd 2007, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to all
Default what happens with you pet...????

hi there,
after my flight to ottawa to land as a PR,i have to go elsewhere within the airport to get my cat. can someone give me info on what is likely to happen.
do any other departments get involved.
many thanks
Paul
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 12:18 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what happens with you pet...????

Pets are collected at the same time as your baggage. There may be an oversized baggage counter or perhaps just an open room. We were never asked to show any papers for our cat which I thought was really strange. Do not enter Canada without your paperwork though as its supposed to be checked.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Pets are collected at the same time as your baggage.
I got this mental picture of a cat coming out onto the baggage conveyor trying to run in the other direction.
Sorry...
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 4:57 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Pets are collected at the same time as your baggage. There may be an oversized baggage counter or perhaps just an open room. We were never asked to show any papers for our cat which I thought was really strange. Do not enter Canada without your paperwork though as its supposed to be checked.
That is correct if your animal is travelling as "excess baggage", but if it is travelling "cargo" you may have to go to another part of the airport to collect it. Other BE members have had to do this, with varying amounts of stress!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

blueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PaulCall
hi there,
after my flight to ottawa to land as a PR,i have to go elsewhere within the airport to get my cat. can someone give me info on what is likely to happen.
many thanks
Paul
Paul

My wife & I are flying to Ottawa on the 14th June with two dogs & two cats. All are going in cargo. I'll let you know how we get on.

Russ...
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to all

thats brilliant russ.......look forward to your reply and have a safe flight and happy landing
Paul
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

hi there,
many thanks
Paul
I took 2 dogs to Calgary as cargo. The cargo terminal is a 10 min drive away from passenger terminal. Basically, the passengers "land" and clear immigration and customs; drive to cargo area to pick up pets' paperwork; drive back to passenger terminal to present paperwork to customs, pay a fee, a get them stamped; drive back to cargo terminal and present paperwork to cargo people, pay them a fee, then dogs are released.

All in all it took about 1 hour, mainly due to customs taking their time in processing paperwork.

HTH
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

what are the fees for.....i thought everything was covered with the up front fee
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 1:44 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have to pay something like a $40 fee at Canadian side.

We never had our papers even looked at let alone asked for a fee. I would NOT advise anyone to travel without pet export papers.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

what are the fees for.....i thought everything was covered with the up front fee
You have to pay for a Canadian vet to check over the dog when they arrive (this had occurred before we arrived at cargo) and the cargo people charged us some king of fee. The two didn't come to more than $80 if I remember correctly.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

cheers

Paul