Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What to expect post interview...if you didn't get the job..

What to expect post interview...if you didn't get the job..

Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to expect post interview...if you didn't get the job..

If Canada is the right place for you to improve your life then go for it. Houses are cheaper in the east for sure (we looked at that area quite a lot after visiting family in NFD), and the general quality of life there is better, especially in terms of crime and violence which we in the UK are world leaders in.

My various trips to Canada produced mixed emotions. On one hand I really enjoyed the "pacific coast" feeling in the west. It reminded me of California but without the sun (or crime and pollution). But on the other hand there was no doubt that people in the east were in a different league in terms of friendliness, etc.

For me, it was a hard one, because the east had lower house prices and friendlier people, while the west had more jobs, higher wages and better weather (feeling -25 on top of a hill in NFD was a trouser-rattling experience for me - BC has much warmer weather). Plus, there's a lot of people on here with lots of education and experience reporting $10 an hour for crappy work, so this is a concern.

So it's a hard one. With all factors considered I suppose ultimately Canada has a better quality of life than the UK, but then I don't intend to live in either so I'm not too concerned.............
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:26 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tableland
If Canada is the right place for you to improve your life then go for it. Houses are cheaper in the east for sure (we looked at that area quite a lot after visiting family in NFD), and the general quality of life there is better, especially in terms of crime and violence which we in the UK are world leaders in.

My various trips to Canada produced mixed emotions. On one hand I really enjoyed the "pacific coast" feeling in the west. It reminded me of California but without the sun (or crime and pollution). But on the other hand there was no doubt that people in the east were in a different league in terms of friendliness, etc.

For me, it was a hard one, because the east had lower house prices and friendlier people, while the west had more jobs, higher wages and better weather (feeling -25 on top of a hill in NFD was a trouser-rattling experience for me - BC has much warmer weather). Plus, there's a lot of people on here with lots of education and experience reporting $10 an hour for crappy work, so this is a concern.

So it's a hard one. With all factors considered I suppose ultimately Canada has a better quality of life than the UK, but then I don't intend to live in either so I'm not too concerned.............

Well I suppose I will never know if it's the best option unless I do it, and find out I suppose but by getting loads of advice in the meantimes helps with all areas good/bad, so I do appreciate your reply.

So where are you intending to live out of interest and where have you came from and been also?
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Well I suppose I will never know if it's the best option unless I do it, and find out I suppose but by getting loads of advice in the meantimes helps with all areas good/bad, so I do appreciate your reply.

So where are you intending to live out of interest and where have you came from and been also?
From the UK, but after visiting my wife's family in BC and NFD we thought about going there to settle, but were put off by a few technical points. Now we're hopefully going to Australia, and should be there within a year. I grew up there for a while so it will be nice to go back.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 11:14 am
Having a blonde moment

Britjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
Just an update on my job situ.......turned up (on spec) at Westridge Cabinets here in Red Deer, filled out an application, had interview, shown around the workshop, "when can you start?"....."Tomorrow? Great!".....shake hands, job sorted!!

So that's all my B.E. time out the window from now on.....I'll never get my reputation stars up now
Looks like this got missed amongst the other posts. Congratulations on the new job and good luck today. Hope it goes well!!
Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:36 am
I don't believe it!

grumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud of

Ignoring an applicant after an unsuccessful interview is something that can be enjoyed only in a place with relatively high unemployment. Alberta has a pretty high unemployment rate of 4.8%, which although lower than Canada's 7.4% (or 6.8% according to CIA world factbook) national unemployment rate is still quite high. In this kind of environment employers can behave as rudely as they like and pass it off as a cultural norm. But the Alberta rate of unemployment is forecast to fall to 4.1% by 2007, so maybe then when there are fewer applicants on the market they might start treating them with some respect. But then again, keeping people uninformed for long periods of time seems to be the Mode A La Canadienne, if their immigration system and employment etiquette are anything to go by.

In terms of context alongside the Canadian national unemployment rate of 7.4% (information from Alberta Government website), the United States national unemployment rate is 5.1%, Australia's is 5.1% and the UK's is 4.7% (information from CIA world factbook, which places Canadian unemployment at 6.8%, so whether you go with this or the 7.4% depends on whether you believe the US or Canadian government more).
Blimey mate - you love your statistics, don't you! Number crunching doesn't help when you are trying to find work, especially when the way of doing things is different from the one to which you are accustomed. I am assured by many of my Canadian friends that the lack of communication from prospective employers is the norm in Canada. Took me a while to get used to it - I don't like it, but I can't change it. Jaycee's experiences match mine almost exactly......here I am, two years on, still looking for that elusive job!
Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:45 am
I don't believe it!

grumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud of

It is hard to get reliable figures from the Canadian authorities, as they currently are quoting 3.9%, 4%, 4.2% and 4.8% for the unemployment rate in Alberta for 2005.

These rates are pretty much the lowest in Canada, but are entirely dependent on US trade, and dropped to these levels only when the US/Canada border was reopened for cattle trade. Either way, there are about 71,700 officially unemployed people in Alberta.

Specifically, the unemployment rate for the eight main regions of Alberta range quite a lot, from 3.1% in Athabasca-Grande, to 4.5% in Edmonton. For context, Red Deer is 3.3% and Calgary is 3.9%. Youth unemployment for the province is 7.3%, another good rate in a national context.

These are good "local" rates, but I was trying to explain the general rudeness and lack of courtesy in Canadian professional culture by attributing it to the high unemployment. As this rudeness and cold attitude has been reported from all over Canada, it was necessary to look at the national rates, which are just under 7%. Of course, linking Canada's high unemployment to the lack of courtesy in interview etiquette was only a theory. As mentioned in my previous post, the Canadian immigration system has the same culture at a time when Canada badly needs more people, so on reflection I would attribute the lack of interest and rudeness to something deeper than mere unemployment statistics.

I have considered that the problem is to do with the poor annual leave in Canada. My logic is that because you only get 10 days off a year in Canada, and because it takes so long to work up to 15 days off, people are reluctant to change jobs because they don't want to work for a decade to get 15 days off a year, and then get busted back down to 10. Although it is possible to negotiate 15 days off at the start of the new job, it is not the standard practice, and for this reason the working environment could become stagnant and inflexible with people staying on in job they don't really want just so they don't lose 25% or 50% of their annual leave at a stroke.

However, All the Canadians I have ever met have always been really friendly, but having said that they were all either family or in service roles (restaurants, etc.) so it's hard to say. My professional dealings with Canadians are limited, but I must say generally they are friendly, if a little distant. Either way, I don't think I'd be too happy putting up with being ignored after interviews, etc.

Anyway, with the US and Australia unemployent rates at 5.1%, the United Kingdom at 4.7% and New Zealand at 4%, the Canadian rate of 6.8% is the highest unemployment rate in the English-speaking world.
More numbers! Are you a statistician? You do know stats can be, and often are, fiddled, so 100% credence should not be placed there upon.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

allie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: What to expect post interview...if you didn't get the job..

I may regret this post but..you sound like you all need cheering up...I moved here 28th Jan and am now an IT recruitment consultant who knows the UK companies and is obviously happy to do reference calls in the UK so don't have an issue with 'no canadian experience'. If you are a landed immigrant AND you live in BC, you can email me at [email protected] and I will try and help you. Please mention BritishExpats.com in your mail...and please make sure your resume is longer than 1 page as a 1 page resume tells me nothing! Specific jobs I am filling this week are Oracle, BI, SQL Server, Peoplesoft and are based in Vancouver, Burnaby and Victoria. We have many others but those topics are my speciality....

Also check out www.rht.com for specific job postings, resume tips, etc.

Last edited by allie2; Jun 8th 2006 at 7:01 am.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by grumpy
More numbers! Are you a statistician? You do know stats can be, and often are, fiddled, so 100% credence should not be placed there upon.
Hello grumpy

No, not a statistician, though it comes in handy in my work. Yes of course stats can be fiddled, but like you said, you have been searching for a decent job for 2 years, and in a country with such high unemployment this does not surprise me. The stats tell us this much.

It seems to me that the majority of Brits in Canada who are happy and in work are those connected with bringing more Brits to Canada, like the above post. In short, the only thing Canadians are willing to accept British experience for is when directly connected to bringing more Brits into Canada (and most of whom will still be looking for work in several years' time).

All the same, good luck in your quest and I hope you continue to enjoy Canada.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

allie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud of

Hello grumpy

No, not a statistician, though it comes in handy in my work. Yes of course stats can be fiddled, but like you said, you have been searching for a decent job for 2 years, and in a country with such high unemployment this does not surprise me. The stats tell us this much.

It seems to me that the majority of Brits in Canada who are happy and in work are those connected with bringing more Brits to Canada, like the above post. In short, the only thing Canadians are willing to accept British experience for is when directly connected to bringing more Brits into Canada (and most of whom will still be looking for work in several years' time).

All the same, good luck in your quest and I hope you continue to enjoy Canada.
<Trying desperately not to take offence> If anyone would like help, I would like to help them. If said people choose not to accept British help then 'good luck, I hope you do well - seriously!'. I get loads of Canadian applicants, I just thought I may be able to be of use. Of course, I will not be able to help everyone but I have found 4 Brits work this week so far...
Old Jun 9th 2006, 6:57 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allie2
<Trying desperately not to take offence> If anyone would like help, I would like to help them. If said people choose not to accept British help then 'good luck, I hope you do well - seriously!'. I get loads of Canadian applicants, I just thought I may be able to be of use. Of course, I will not be able to help everyone but I have found 4 Brits work this week so far...
Sending karma cos you deserve it for being so nice.

Ok I would have but apparently I'm not spreading it enough
Old Jun 9th 2006, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Thank you....seriously, I know what it feels like to be out of work in Canada when it was sooooo easy to find work in the UK. I love my new job and career cause I can help so many people (and meet lots of potential drinking buddies lol.) I can also 'warm' forward any accountancy, office temps or executives resume's out there...(I will get no money for this...)
Old Jun 9th 2006, 4:18 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by allie2
That really appreciated that your willing to help people it's a shame I'm not moving to Vancouver and not moving until next year. Oh well maybe my guardian angel will be with me next year.

Last edited by or4ngecrush; Jun 9th 2006 at 4:19 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 9th 2006, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

sooner is an unknown quantity at this point

Nada....
- you have to call them in a few days yourself;

- i ran a company [once..] and i know how many applicants there are even for most demanding positions, it's just not time-efficient to reply to everyone.

Fom employee poit-of-view, i had most success with referred jobs, very rarely as an outsider to the company [not for the lack of trying, mind you]
Old Jun 9th 2006, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sooner
- you have to call them in a few days yourself;

- i ran a company [once..] and i know how many applicants there are even for most demanding positions, it's just not time-efficient to reply to everyone.

Fom employee poit-of-view, i had most success with referred jobs, very rarely as an outsider to the company [not for the lack of trying, mind you]
You'd actually be surprised to hear that the jobs I have applied for and heard nothing back are those that had applicants you could count on one hand. I have also applied to a couple where there were several applicants for the one position and at least they did have the courtesy to phone me up after 2 wks and tell me they still hadn't found "the right one", however, my details would be kept on file for 6 mnths.

I really don't know what it is about Canadian employers and the reason behind their lack of applicant acknowledgement, but it's just something we learn to accept as "the norm" here.....frustrating? - Yes; can we do anything about it? - No.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 6:59 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

You'd actually be surprised to hear that the jobs I have applied for and heard nothing back are those that had applicants you could count on one hand. I have also applied to a couple where there were several applicants for the one position and at least they did have the courtesy to phone me up after 2 wks and tell me they still hadn't found "the right one", however, my details would be kept on file for 6 mnths.

I really don't know what it is about Canadian employers and the reason behind their lack of applicant acknowledgement, but it's just something we learn to accept as "the norm" here.....frustrating? - Yes; can we do anything about it? - No.
I'm in the process of a job search (on and off for the past six months!) and I agree it is utterly demoralizing not to hear back from a single application but in the UK I sometimes got phone calls within minutes of emailing my CV. Of course the culture is different here and I really need to network, network, network, 'get out there', 'make myself known', 'know the right people', 'start my own business', volunteer, or even change carreer paths, yada yada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.