Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you need from a relocation agent?

What do you need from a relocation agent?

Old Feb 25th 2007, 1:22 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you need from a relocation agent?

Isn't the essence of paying for a service the fact that you are paying for the priviledge of not doing it yourself ( car service, decorating, building etc ).

I agree with Butch that you can do it yourself and should....it's good experience. But, for those with money to burn, a service is a service and pay you will.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I tapped my realtor for that kind of info. I'm still in touch with the first one some 6yrs later, his motto is "client for life" and I know I could ask any of the things you mention at any time now or in the future and get a helpful answer.

Ditto the home inspector on this property - he took extra time explaining different systems once he realised we were foreign, and said he would welcome phonecalls even late at night and 6mths later if we couldn't remember what he'd said about how to get the furnace going or whatever. I think he really meant it although we never tested him on it!

I found relocation info on the web from big companies and even from the Army (for Batus in Sth. Alberta) was pretty helpful and gave me great starting points. Maybe you could get some pointers from those places too?

I'm sure relocation is a useful service for those who can't search the internet/extreme worriers/those who aren't paying for it themselves, but I wouldn't ever pay for it. I wouldn't mind a realtor splitting their commission from me with a relocator and having any lifestyle questions dealt with by them instead, but I wouldn't pay a separate fee. Jmo.

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
Thanks Biiiink, they do cover it but sometimes if you've never seen a combination wood/oil furnace or don't know the cost of electric baseboard heating it can be difficult to know the relative importance. In England if a cellar was damp we would worry, where I am most cellars get damp.

I am sure there is a need for guidance if not a relocation agent.

Did he tell you about snow tires? Locations to avoid. Prevailing winter winds and protection. To wear an orange hat in the woods? Coastal erosion? Cost of household appliances? Best place to get them? High speed internet? Local demographics?

Ok some is common sense but only if you recognise it n the first place.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I think that there is a place for them and it is up to you if you use them and to what extent.

Someone who is willing & able to others is a good thing not all you read on the internet is true. It also helps to have someone on the ground if you are stuck in the UK!