Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you find good and bad about Canada?

What do you find good and bad about Canada?

Old Aug 27th 2012, 5:29 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you find good and bad about Canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I was mildly interested to know how many Canadians live abroad.
It will mildly interest you to know that I had an email from my general manager just now. He and his missus took part in the Ironman thingy in BC yesterday. They both lived and are now on proper vacation. Self-catering, I guess. His email went along the lines of: "is it just me, or are groceries seriously f*****g expensive in Canada?" I gave hime some tips and kept clear of cheese. I am mulling the possibility of asking to have my salary indexed to groceries (cheese for bonuses).
Old Aug 27th 2012, 5:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
It will mildly interest you to know that I had an email from my general manager just now. He and his missus took part in the Ironman thingy in BC yesterday. They both lived and are now on proper vacation. Self-catering, I guess. His email went along the lines of: "is it just me, or are groceries seriously f*****g expensive in Canada?" I gave hime some tips and kept clear of cheese. I am mulling the possibility of asking to have my salary indexed to groceries (cheese for bonuses).
Send him to that yuppie market place on Granville Island. Ask for a salary geared to prices there.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 5:46 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Send him to that yuppie market place on Granville Island. Ask for a salary geared to prices there.
That's touristy. For expensive yuppie hippy you need to go to Whole Foods.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 5:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
That's touristy. For expensive yuppie hippy you need to go to Whole Foods.
But he guy in the Obama Sausage place said he can me in a proper gammon steak. And then English shop in Steveson is getting Black Forest gateaus for Christmas. Things are looking up over here.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 6:29 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Penticton to Granville Island for a salad? That's a little extreme, even for someone who finds triathlons fun.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 5:52 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgagitw
I defy anyone to make authentic UK fish and chip shop chips without the right potatoes, oil and equipment, it just ain't possible (I know, I've tried). Even the guy that runs A Salt & Battery in New York admits that he can't get them quite right due to the availability of ingredients (there's a good write of that in one of Heston Blumenthal's books). Agreed on all the others though.
But that would mean that every FnC place in the UK does it the same, which they dont.

Best fish and chips ive had were in Dingle, Ireland and Pahia, New Zealand. BBQ'ed some freshly caught BC wild salmon last week in Sechelt... absolutely savage. Dont really like the batter thing.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 5:55 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
But that would mean that every FnC place in the UK does it the same, which they dont.

Best fish and chips ive had were in Dingle, Ireland and Pahia, New Zealand. BBQ'ed some freshly caught BC wild salmon last week in Sechelt... absolutely savage. Dont really like the batter thing.
Did you catch it yourself?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:33 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck

How about this one. It was 28 lbs. Caught off Vancouver Island last summer.
Attached Thumbnails What do you find good and bad about Canada?-salmon.jpg  
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
How about this one. It was 28 lbs. Caught off Vancouver Island last summer.
Nice. There was one caught recently about 83lbs. The biggest I've ever caught was about 32lbs.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:47 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Nice. There was one caught recently about 83lbs. The biggest I've ever caught was about 32lbs.
Next week I'm going for a few days fishing with my pal from Fanny Bay. Hopefully we'll do well.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

tribec is an unknown quantity at this point

guys do you have your own fishing boats or do you charter?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by tribec
guys do you have your own fishing boats or do you charter?
I share one with a friend. He charters it sometimes, I don't as I hate people.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:02 pm
Bon Vivant

I share one with a friend. He charters it sometimes, I don't as I hate people.
Same goes for me. My pal has the boat but he doesn't charter it.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Same goes for me. My pal has the boat but he doesn't charter it.
He only does it a couple of times a month on his days off, that way it pays for our moorage which is $600 a month.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

tribec is an unknown quantity at this point

Thx guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.