Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you find good and bad about Canada?

What do you find good and bad about Canada?

Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you find good and bad about Canada?

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Millions of Canadians travel. 2.8 million Canadians even live abroad.
I don't think you can count the US as "abroad" for a Canadian, that's like an Englishman living in Scotland. How many actually live abroad?
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:06 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Does that include freshly minted Canadians that then push off back to where they came from? I suspect that it does.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdarwin
I'm guessing that although you live in the UK, you haven't really had your eyes open a great deal.
The British are known worldwide for their sense of humour, but it's usually a sarcastic humour that doesn't travel very well outside the UK.
I grew up in the UK and fair enough, some Scottish people I cannot decipher at all.
British food is Chinese and Indian food to most folks, but the Brits also make some excellent local dishes. You just need to get out the city a bit more.
I would trade all my hundreds of Canadian and US TV channels for BBC. And an FYI - BBC Canada is a bunch of cr*p, in case anyone's asking.
We watch BBC/ITV/etc. over the internet.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

While there is no definitive count of Canadians scattered around the world, some estimates put the number at 2.7 million.1 Compiling comprehensive information about Canadians living abroad is challenging because there are no complete records of the permanent or temporary exit of everybody who leaves the country. Using the immigration data of the destination countries can be difficult because the definitions of international migrants differ from nation to nation; also, each country specifies its own system of recording the in-migration of peoples across their borders. Where there are different mechanisms for recording these movements, there will be different definitions of migrants and inconsistencies of coverage.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/11-008-.../10517-eng.htm
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think you can count the US as "abroad" for a Canadian, that's like an Englishman living in Scotland. How many actually live abroad?
57% of the 2.8 million live in the US.

The US & Canada are 2 different countries. You can't just move from one to the other without going through some hoops. They are similar in many ways but also different in many ways. Even the regional differences within them can be much more striking than the differences between any 2 areas of the UK.

England and Scotland are part of the same, relatively small country - the UK. They are more akin to states or provinces than separate countries - and even then they would be considered small states or provinces in Canadian or US terms. So an Englishman living in Scotland is more like someone from one Canadian province living in another Canadian province. Again, the differences between Canadian provinces can be much more striking than the differences between England and Scotland.

In terms of percentages of the population, a similar number of Canadians and Brits live abroad. The US is the closest country to Canada, has a warmer climate (generally speaking) and allows easier movement of workers through NAFTA - so it's natural that it attracts a large number of Canadians. Similarly, France and Spain attract a large number of Brits through proximity, better weather and freedom of movement through the EU.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
I'm writing from the perspective of a non-British person living in the UK for the last seven years or so.

* humourlessness - are you kidding me? Are you saying that the British have a sense of humour?
* accents - I still can't understand the Scottish girt at work...
* lack of British foods/good foods - why would you want that? And actually - what is 'British' food - sausages and mash? fish and chips? Pleeaasee.
* lack of good television - you mean Big Brother and Coronation Street?
As am I = non British, married to a Brit, lived in England for a good few years and now in Canada. And this is my perspective:

Brit humour is ace but I guess if people grow up in North America they won't understand it as "humour" but see it as rude. I loved it and dearly miss it.

My Nana in- law was from Glasgow and even I understood her after a while same as the Welsh relatives.

AWWWW a good Indian would be lovely..... Love Poutine though ha ha.

We watch BBC/ITV/etc. over the internet. We hardly watch Canadian telly as there is hardly ever anything on that interests me.

I am not British but have never felt more home than in England.

Scenery is nice here, health care is good(depending on your employer,though),weather is great where we live, economy better than in the UK.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

57% of the 2.8 million live in the US.

The US & Canada are 2 different countries. You can't just move from one to the other without going through some hoops. They are similar in many ways but also different in many ways. Even the regional differences within them can be much more striking than the differences between any 2 areas of the UK.

England and Scotland are part of the same, relatively small country - the UK. They are more akin to states or provinces than separate countries - and even then they would be considered small states or provinces in Canadian or US terms. So an Englishman living in Scotland is more like someone from one Canadian province living in another Canadian province. Again, the differences between Canadian provinces can be much more striking than the differences between England and Scotland.

In terms of percentages of the population, a similar number of Canadians and Brits live abroad. The US is the closest country to Canada, has a warmer climate (generally speaking) and allows easier movement of workers through NAFTA - so it's natural that it attracts a large number of Canadians. Similarly, France and Spain attract a large number of Brits through proximity, better weather and freedom of movement through the EU.
I've been to America, amazingly enough, and find it to be largely indistinguishable from Canada; dropped from space an alien would not be able to distinguish Plano from Mississauga.

So, now we have a little over a million Canadians living somewhere different from Canada. As Souvy points out lots will be in Hong Kong or the Lebanon, do we have any numbers for them?
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to America, amazingly enough, and find it to be largely indistinguishable from Canada; dropped from space an alien would not be able to distinguish Plano from Mississauga.

So, now we have a little over a million Canadians living somewhere different from Canada. As Souvy points out lots will be in Hong Kong or the Lebanon, do we have any numbers for them?
As per the link I provided there are no hard figures on which countries Canadians emigrate to as there are no checks outbound. They rely on other countries data and not all countries collect data the way Stats Canada does.
A lot are Canadian citizens by birth to a Canadian parent so that can skew the numbers as they are Canadian but have never lived in Canada as we saw with the Lebanon crisis a few years ago. Lots of Mennonites living in South American countries have Canadian passports but have never lived here.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

What point are you actually trying to make? If millions more Canadians went abroad to live, you'd claim it was because there was something inherently wrong with Canada. If the emigration rate from Canada isn't high enough for your liking, have you considered the possibility that might it be because Canada is a great country to live in and people don't want to leave? Somehow I doubt you'd want to jump on that bandwagon.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 4:17 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

So just short of 10% of Canadians don't want to live in Canada. Similar figures to the UK.

Its funny how people need to justify decisions to themselves and strangers. Who gives a shit.

Last edited by el_richo; Aug 27th 2012 at 4:20 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 4:17 pm
Banned

wonderwoman1st is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
I'm writing from the perspective of a non-British person living in the UK for the last seven years or so.

* humourlessness - are you kidding me? Are you saying that the British have a sense of humour?
* accents - I still can't understand the Scottish girt at work...
* lack of British foods/good foods - why would you want that? And actually - what is 'British' food - sausages and mash? fish and chips? Pleeaasee.
* lack of good television - you mean Big Brother and Coronation Street?
I agree mostly, and the American version of big brother is even worse than ours, I can't stand either of them. Turn it off! TV isn't all that great unless it's the news or the fifth estate. I actually like coronation street now! heaven forbid. I get a good film out free at the local library they get new ones in all the time and good ones at that.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 4:22 pm
Banned

wonderwoman1st is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nathaliej
Hi

Although my passport states I'm British I consider myself to be a world citizen and I'm considering moving to Canada in the near future.

I've only visited it twice when I was 8 & 15 and don't really know much but now that I'm 25 I think it would be a nice destination to consider.

For those currently residing in Canada, what do you find to be good and bad?

From what I've gathered after reading a few threads:

Good:

* low crime rate
* no/fewer chavs
* scenery
* job market
* larger homes

Bad:

* lack of culture
* humourlessness
* accents
* lack of British foods/good foods
* lack of good television

Would any of you agree with the above? Would you add or dispute anything above?

Thank you.
Humourless? No, their humour is quite funny actually and similar to ours.

British humour is known to be the best as is our music over here (those that even have a sense of humour who understand humour that is), though there are two types of british humour: not at all funny, and very funny. Course back in the U.K not every one had a sense of humour.

As to postcards, not mentioned by you above but someone on this thread, I disagree, I find that some of the postcards don't do the places much justice. There are plenty of beautiful places to see over here in Canada. Niagara falls for example is a beautiful place to visit and easy and cheap from here in Toronto, but not all the postcards I saw were as good as what I saw, same in Vancouver when I lived there.

History lacks here, there is some but not as strong and common as back in the U.K and Europe.

Renting in Canada is better than the U.K in that your heat and hot water at least is included, and some places as is where I live all bills are included apart from your tv and phone.

They love our British accent over here, the US do too, does not seem to matter what your accent is, they love it anyway. Not sure they would understand or love Gaelic mind, I couldn't even understand it, as they speak so fast and their accent is so strong.

Last edited by wonderwoman1st; Aug 27th 2012 at 4:27 pm. Reason: needed to add more
Old Aug 27th 2012, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by el_richo
So just short of 10% of Canadians don't want to live in Canada.
About 8%. I have no idea whether they live abroad because they don't want to live in Canada. People live abroad for many reasons. Some want to see the world. Some live abroad for work reasons. Some for family reasons e.g. marriage. I have no idea how many will return to Canada at some point.

By the way, about 9% of Brits live abroad. By your reasoning, dbd doesn't want to live in the UK. He wants to live in Canada.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 5:14 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

About 8%. I have no idea whether they live abroad because they don't want to live in Canada. People live abroad for many reasons. Some want to see the world. Some live abroad for work reasons. Some for family reasons e.g. marriage. I have no idea how many will return to Canada at some point.

By the way, about 9% of Brits live abroad. By your reasoning, dbd doesn't want to live in the UK. He wants to live in Canada.
The confusing thing about these threads is, who's right? The ~91/92% or the ~9/8%?

Many posters imply there is a right and wrong choice that applies to everybody.

You cannot compare an entire country to another, or an area to an entire country, in this context. It's ****ing stupid to do so.

Most of the bad points banded about here, I believe, doesn't actually impact that persons every day life other than via the news or Chinese whispers. It's sad that people believe the hype.

As for Dbd. He's a pussycat really and enjoys living in Canada

Last edited by el_richo; Aug 27th 2012 at 5:17 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 5:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

What point are you actually trying to make?
I was mildly interested to know how many Canadians live abroad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.