British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   What do you dislike about living in Ontario? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/what-do-you-dislike-about-living-ontario-866527/)

Novocastrian Oct 18th 2015 10:13 pm

Re: What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11774252)
And Fries is originally a French thing not USA

Jesus wept. I suppose pommes frites is Russian?

BristolUK Oct 18th 2015 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11774237)
If that were the case you'd be ordering chips with your burgers.

But you can order fish and chips though and pay by cheque. :lol:

bats Oct 18th 2015 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11774391)
The last page or so of this thread really takes the biscuit. I think you're all cookie.

I know I am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11774392)
Jesus wept. I suppose pommes frites is Russian?

No that's the salad, you know the horrid one with diced frozen veggies and salad cream.

Teaandtoday5 Oct 19th 2015 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11772901)
Excellent insight. They don't understand that living somewhere that requires cars, especially more than one of them, consigns them automatically (DYSWIDT) to the more stupid class.

Well that's me in the stupid class then...

Originally Posted by alpine_swift (Post 11773969)
4. Canadian biscuits are simply crap and not many to choose from at all, there're imported McVitie's from the UK but very expensive, even the local cream crackers are abysmal.
5. No distinctive culture.

I find some of the President's choice crackers pretty good. I love the rosemary ones, and the assorted box is identical to what I would have bought in the Uk. Some of their biscuits (shortbread esp) are made in theUK too. No, I don't work for them, but biscuits are IMPORTANT, and I rapidly got sick of Oreos, etc.

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11773985)
Try these when they're on sale - about $2 a pack. Make sure they're the ordinary oatmeal ones.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...08fc3e1ffb.jpg
If you close your eyes they pass for hobnobs.

My son would agree.

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11774177)
Why are scones called tea biscuits here? ;)

Any why don't you get butter with them?

Things I don't like, being too far from the sea, no cats eyes, no decent radio to listen to in the car.

dbd33 Oct 19th 2015 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 11774800)
no decent radio to listen to in the car.

That's easily fixed, Sirius carries the BBC World Service as well as umpteen advert free music channels.

I am I said Oct 19th 2015 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 11774800)
no cats eyes

I have always heard this is because snow ploughs would take them off. NO idea if that is true.

Teaandtoday5 Oct 19th 2015 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11774809)
That's easily fixed, Sirius carries the BBC World Service as well as umpteen advert free music channels.

I tried Sirius but the world service is very strongly weighted towards Africa, and other less developed parts of the world, which can be interesting but not all the time. Music I get enough of when the kids are in the car, the rest of the time I survive on downloads of the archers, news quiz/now show, and fighting talk supplemented by cbc1 (which is a bit like permanently listening to 'you and yours') or 680 in case the weather forecast has changed in the three minutes since they last broadcast it. Audio books help though.

dbd33 Oct 19th 2015 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 11774826)
I tried Sirius but the world service is very strongly weighted towards Africa, and other less developed parts of the world, which can be interesting but not all the time. Music I get enough of when the kids are in the car, the rest of the time I survive on downloads of the archers, news quiz/now show, and fighting talk supplemented by cbc1 (which is a bit like permanently listening to 'you and yours') or 680 in case the weather forecast has changed in the three minutes since they last broadcast it. Audio books help though.

They used to carry Radio One, time shifted so the breakfast show was on at breakfast time. I found the weather forecast given to be as useful and accurate as that on the CBC.

plasticcanuck Oct 19th 2015 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by I am I said (Post 11774825)
I have always heard this is because snow ploughs would take them off. NO idea if that is true.

It is, of course, true. It was tried many years ago but quickly abandoned because of the damage done to the highway.

How many cats eyes do you think would be left after this snow plowing exercise.

dbd33 Oct 19th 2015 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11774842)
It is, of course, true. It was tried many years ago but quickly abandoned because of the damage done to the highway.

http://youtu.be/lUds1pWKMjs

It may once have been true but there are plenty of roads in America and in Switzerland that have both cat's eyes and snowploughs so, with the technology of today, it can be done. My guess is that Ontario doesn't have cat's eyes today because it didn't have them yesterday and things move slowly out here.

orly Oct 19th 2015 4:39 pm

I find car insurance a tad pricey and I'm no fan of the humidity in summer. Beyond that, income taxes are too low and people seem far too inclined to vote Liberal over and over again.

HGerchikov Oct 19th 2015 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by orly (Post 11774856)
I find car insurance a tad pricey and I'm no fan of the humidity in summer. Beyond that, income taxes are too low and people seem far too inclined to vote Liberal over and over again.

a quick look at Plasticcanuck's video and you get an inkling why car insurance is high.

Pizzawheel Oct 19th 2015 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11774849)
It may once have been true but there are plenty of roads in America and in Switzerland that have both cat's eyes and snowploughs so, with the technology of today, it can be done. My guess is that Ontario doesn't have cat's eyes today because it didn't have them yesterday and things move slowly out here.

I would have thought the bigger problem would be water getting into the catseye/ road substrate and wrecking it via freeze-thaw.

Almost Canadian Oct 19th 2015 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11774886)
I would have thought the bigger problem would be water getting into the catseye/ road substrate and wrecking it via freeze-thaw.

Is freeze-thaw really much of an issue to infrastructure outside of Alberta :rofl:

dbd33 Oct 19th 2015 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by orly (Post 11774856)
people seem far too inclined to vote Liberal over and over again.

I do that, it's my duty as an immigrant.

Pizzawheel Oct 19th 2015 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 11774891)
Is freeze-thaw really much of an issue to infrastructure outside of Alberta :rofl:

It's only in Alberta where it's not a problem. Freezing is quite OK when there's no thaw :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Siouxie Oct 19th 2015 8:30 pm

Was it just me, or did anyone else want to shout out "Oy! Excuse me! You missed a bit...."

:lol:

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 19th 2015 9:06 pm

Funny how the US manages to use snow plows and the reflectors in the road, there is a technique used where the plows can plow and not rip them up.

orly Oct 19th 2015 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 11774866)
a quick look at Plasticcanuck's video and you get an inkling why car insurance is high.

We have to pay for snow ploughs?

magnumpi Oct 20th 2015 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11775059)
Funny how the US manages to use snow plows and the reflectors in the road, there is a technique used where the plows can plow and not rip them up.

They adopt a safe ploughing system they use rubber tip ploughs ;)

Pizzawheel Oct 20th 2015 3:17 pm

New answer inspired by Magnumpi- the Ontario Liberal Party.

Pine Cone Oct 22nd 2015 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11771095)
I can only give you three

1. at my age its the climate, that for 9 months a year totally sucks

2. Property taxes that are way too high.

3. Utilities, which are way too high

yes, all three. Plan is within [hopefully] the next 24 months when my 96 year old FIL pops his clogs - the sooner the better

Mind me asking where you are planning on going to next? Are your reasons common ones for people to leave Canada eventually?

Pizzawheel Oct 22nd 2015 2:12 pm

1. at my age its the climate, that for 9 months a year totally sucks
No doubt the cold does ache the joints compared to a warm, humid climate. I my years in Nigeria I never had one joint ache, it's like living in a sauna. You do get shot occasionally so I guess you pays your money and takes your choice.

allycat231 Oct 22nd 2015 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11775059)

In PEI cats eyes are sunken into the road, allowing the snow plough to pass over.

Novocastrian Oct 22nd 2015 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pine Cone (Post 11777121)
Mind me asking where you are planning on going to next? Are your reasons common ones for people to leave Canada eventually?

I think so.

The winters in Canada (OK I speak of Toronto in particular, which is very far from the worst place in this respect) are abominable for older folk.

There is a time for everyone when digging 3-4 feet of overnight snowfall becomes tedious in the extreme and eventually life threatening.

Don't do it..

Siouxie Oct 23rd 2015 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11777484)
I think so.

The winters in Canada (OK I speak of Toronto in particular, which is very far from the worst place in this respect) are abominable for older folk.

There is a time for everyone when digging 3-4 feet of overnight snowfall becomes tedious in the extreme and eventually life threatening.

Don't do it..

The gentleman who owned my house died when shovelling snow. It happens more often than people think - in one storm last winter, 3 died in Hamilton alone. Three men die of heart attacks while shovelling snow

BristolUK Oct 23rd 2015 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11777610)
The gentleman who owned my house died when shovelling snow. It happens more often than people think - in one storm last winter, 3 died in Hamilton alone. Three men die of heart attacks while shovelling snow

Every winter the newspaper here has some sort of feature/advice on it.

I'm careful. Sometimes I just look at what's there and say sod that!

I do the steps so Mr Plow can get to the door for his $25 and then a bit of tidying up around the edges after he's gone.

plasticcanuck Oct 23rd 2015 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11777484)
I think so.

Don't do it..

The chances of getting 3-4 feel of overnight snowfall in Toronto and environs is slim to none. 3-4 inches is much more likely and not too frequently.

BristolUK Oct 23rd 2015 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11777848)
The chances of getting 3-4 feel of overnight snowfall in Toronto and environs is slim to none. 3-4 inches is much more likely and not too frequently.

Drifting?

I know we get more snow here but blowing/drifting snow frequently puts a greater depth of snow on our steps and across the drive (not just in patches) than official snowfall figures.

Not to mention the snow that has fallen being plowed into a ridge across the front of the drive.

I assume that happens in Toronto too.

dbd33 Oct 23rd 2015 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11777862)

Not to mention the snow that has fallen being plowed into a ridge across the front of the drive.

I assume that happens in Toronto too.

It does happen but the deepest drift I've seen in Toronto was about a foot. I believe there are deeper drifts elsewhere in Canada.

I am I said Oct 23rd 2015 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11777887)
It does happen but the deepest drift I've seen in Toronto was about a foot. I believe there are deeper drifts elsewhere in Canada.

But, but, but, what about... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_of_1977
Oddly enough, our cat disappeared in that storm, only to re-appear about six weeks later. Much lighter, blind in one eye, fight wounds, and with the tops of his ears frozen off. We figured he was stranded in a local abandoned factory until the snow melted enough for him to get out again.

dbd33 Oct 23rd 2015 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by I am I said (Post 11777896)
But, but, but, what about... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_of_1977
Oddly enough, our cat disappeared in that storm, only to re-appear about six weeks later. Much lighter, blind in one eye, fight wounds, and with the tops of his ears frozen off. We figured he was stranded in a local abandoned factory until the snow melted enough for him to get out again.

1977 was before even my time in Toronto. The event by which I measure the newness of immigrants is whether or not they remember the power outage or, for a weather specific event, the ice storm.

I am I said Oct 23rd 2015 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11777938)
1977 was before even my time in Toronto. The event by which I measure the newness of immigrants is whether or not they remember the power outage or, for a weather specific event, the ice storm.

Canadians one met around the world could be dated by their reaction to the question 'where were you when the goal was scored?'.
Almost as good as the time Ben Johnson outran Carl Lewis for Olympic Gold... well the first 24 hours or so.

dbd33 Oct 23rd 2015 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by I am I said (Post 11777942)
Canadians one met around the world could be dated by their reaction to the question 'where were you when the goal was scored?'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMf2fAXPS1Q
Almost as good as the time Ben Johnson outran Carl Lewis for Olympic Gold... well the first 24 hours or so.

Ah yes, ice hockey, I can remember when that was so popular that most people in the office would know which team last won the Stanley Cup. I suppose knowing that now might be the litmus test for "old stock".

Partially discharged Oct 23rd 2015 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11777978)
Ah yes, ice hockey, I can remember when that was so popular that most people in the office would know which team last won the Stanley Cup. I suppose knowing that now might be the litmus test for "old stock".

Er, definitely not 'old stock' here at my end based on that question. An even greater test may be asking who won the Grey Cup last year.

dbd33 Oct 23rd 2015 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 11778035)
Er, definitely not 'old stock' here at my end based on that question. An even greater test may be asking who won the Grey Cup last year.

The Rough Riders?

BristolUK Oct 23rd 2015 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by I am I said (Post 11777942)

"You can take away a world record. But a gold medal – that's something no one can take away from you."
Classic. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

BristolUK Oct 23rd 2015 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 11778035)
An even greater test may be asking who won the Grey Cup last year.

I always think that sounds like a competition for Seniors. :lol:

Pizzawheel Oct 23rd 2015 6:46 pm

You can get an electric snow blower for about $300 in crappy tire. And you shouldn't really need much more in TO.

BristolUK Oct 23rd 2015 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11778091)
You can get an electric snow blower for about $300 in crappy tire. And you shouldn't really need much more in TO.

Given previous discussions I would think the snowfall would have to be so light that it would be relatively easy to push it with an ergonomic shovel anyway.

In my case it would also be kept in the garage at the back of the drive and I'd have to clear as much snow just to be able to get there and get it out that I could have done most of what I have to at the front by then anyway.

I doubt that sort of model would cope with the sort of icy boulder like ridges we get here.

It's another reason to move to that stretch either side of Toronto though. Or Kelowna. :lol: