Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do want to do before you leave the U.K. ?

What do want to do before you leave the U.K. ?

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:09 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do want to do before you leave the U.K. ?

HWP - glad you've got your old avatar back
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:32 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
I dont know...I havent run a diesel (yet)

I think unless it gets reallly very very cold (like Alberta cold) the new diesels wont "gel", and they all have glow plugs anyway, so realy its the same old argument about extending engine life rather than getting it to go that applies.

And thats my last word on the subject...!
Define Alberta cold for me and how is it any different from Ontario cold.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Define Alberta cold for me and how is it any different from Ontario cold.
-30 instead of -20

Rumour has it that people in Edmonton or Ft McMoney leave their engine running on the coldest days for fear of being unable to restart it. Dunno who starts these rumours...probably me
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Rumour has it that people in Edmonton or Ft McMoney leave their engine running on the coldest days for fear of being unable to restart it. Dunno who starts these rumours...probably me
I've seen that here. It's not about the degree of cold but the degree of knackeredness of the car.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

It appeared to me on my last trip that engines were left on regardless of the temp - +20 C and cars with wide open doors and idling engines everywhere, especially outside pizza places....well, everywhere really, 1st thought was that it wouldn't happen in the UK as the cars would "disappear" quite quickly!

2nd thoughts were all tree-huggy.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:17 pm

-30 instead of -20

So it never gets to -30 in Ontario?

At least you got one thing right...the rumour part.

I agree with dbd33 regarding leaving the engine running.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

So it never gets to -30 in Ontario?

At least you got one thing right...the rumour part.

I agree with dbd33 regarding leaving the engine running.
Very seldom. The coldest its been here in my time that I can recall is -28 overnight, and that was only on one or two occasions.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 22nd 2007 at 3:44 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:41 pm

Very seldom. The coldest its been here in my time that I can recall is -28 overnight, and that was only on one or two days.
-20 or -30 makes no difference.

Wasn't it you who said you should plug your vehicle in when it is between zero and -5
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

-20 or -30 makes no difference.

Wasn't it you who said you should plug your vehicle in when it is between zero and -5
No, it wasnt. and dont stir up that can of worms again!

-20 I can go out for a few hours and have fun. -30 is too cold to do anything but curl up by the fire if you ask me.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:44 pm

No, it wasnt. and dont stir up that can of worms again!
Awww come now.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Awww come now.
If you want to do block heaters again, you just go right ahead
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:45 pm

-20 I can go out for a few hours and have fun. -30 is too cold to do anything but curl up by the fire if you ask me.
I won't dispute that.

What I will dispute is the numbers of times it actually gets to -30 in Alberta as against the number of times you seem to think it does.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:47 pm

If you want to do block heaters again, you just go right ahead
No, I'm comfortable with my position on block heaters as are you.

We shall just have to agree to disagree.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I won't dispute that.

What I will dispute is the numbers of times it actually gets to -30 in Alberta as against the number of times you seem to think it does.
From quickcast.com, with data over about the last 20 years...

Trenton ON, average annual # of days below -15C = 30, record low -32.7C
Edmonton AB, average annual # of days below -15C = 61, record low -45C

Couldnt find anything specifically about days below -30. Anyway...there appears to be a difference between Ontario cold and Alberta cold, at least as far as Edmonton goes. Calgary is not nearly as harsh though.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:09 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CHRISRICHES
Hi, my family and I just had a great weekend out in London, and got us thinking that we need to make a list of things we want to do before we move out of the U.K.

We probably wont get round to doing all of them, but this is what we have on our list so far. What would be on your list?

Spend some time in Scotland (never been)

Visit Ireland

Travel on Eurostar (probably to Disney, Paris)

Stay in a top hotel in London, and go to a musical

Have another weekend in Amsterdam

Celebrate new year in London
We've always regretted not seeing more of Europe - get a last minute cheap flight to somewhere random for a long weekend!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.