Reload this Page >

What do i do??? i feel sick

Wikiposts

What do i do??? i feel sick

Old Jun 27th 2009, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

slimsladie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do i do??? i feel sick

i am due to move to Saskatoon on the 12th July with my young family i am so looking forward to it its what ive always wanted to do i was over in february for my job interview and loved it the house is almost signed away all our furniture and electricals have been sold the cars have gone flights booked hotel booked we have left our jobs and cancelled everything great.
I have just woken up this morning with an e-mail from the company saying that due to the current climate they have to employ canadian drivers and have had to move my start date forward to October not a huge problem will give us plenty of time to get settled but i am so scared that this will be a re-ocuruing event and we are going to be stranded in Canada with nothing but a massive loss of money as we spent thousands of pounds already. i have a 2 year work visa but my lmo expires in August i really dont know what to do now and hoping someone can give me some advise please.

many thanks
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

NoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really nice
Default Re: What do i do??? i feel sick

I'm afraid I can't offer you any advice but I do feel for you. I hope things work out for you. You must be feeling gutted.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Thank you, gutted is one word you can use
I am trying to look on the positive side the company Kindersley seems great so im hoping they are not stringing me along i cant see the point it was a hard enough thing to do any way moving the family, this has just made it a whole lot harder
Old Jun 28th 2009, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

deck is an unknown quantity at this point

i moved to calgary in jan is your work permit just for that company if so try and get some assurances off them that you will defo have work for them.i did this with the company i started with and they were fare they gave me an honest answer that things were not that great at the mo but they would have work for me alot of there work was going to start in april.they were good to there word and everything is fine now (TOUCH WOOD) but do ask them and tell them how important it is for you to know that you will defo have work then as you are moving lock stock and barrel.the experts are saying the recesssion here may start to clear next year.also the recession here is nothing like the recession there believe me i know.as soon as you get here start applying for your perminant residency as you can work for anybody then in any job.we love it here its a great country good luck to you if you want any more info p.m me.GOOD LUCK.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 3:37 am
Just Joined

Thank you ive looked at the work permit and it doesnt say anything on it about kindersley transport on it?
I cant talk to anyone until mon pm here so dont know what really is going on?

Thanks again
Old Jun 28th 2009, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

my work permit had the companys name on it so i could not work for anybody else without applying for another work permit it will say on your work permit if you can only work for that company if not that is good you could work for anybody but get some assurences off that company to put your mind at rest i know what your going through but if they are a decent company they will be honest with you let me know how you get on.by the way im a brickie.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

as long as your work permit hasnt run out dont worry your lmo dosent matter you only use that to get your work permit.you would have to get a new one if you wanted to get a new work permit.so dont worry about that.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 4:06 am
Just Joined

Thanks Deck you have helped put my mind at rest,
I suppose looking at it in the light of day they have only moved my tranining date, but its that worry that things could go wrong. I dont think i have a "work visa" i have the letter from the Canadian commision to hand in at the border to grant me give me a work visa, or are these the same thing?
Old Jun 28th 2009, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

That's the danger of coming over here on a work permit. The company can lay you off for any reason and there is nothing you can do about that (if they provide you with the appropriate notice period).

This is not England, they do not have to provide a reason and, if you are not able to obtain a work permit with another company, you will not be able to work over here.

Only you can decide whether you are prepared to take such a risk as only you know your comfort zone.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by slimsladie
Thanks Deck you have helped put my mind at rest,
I suppose looking at it in the light of day they have only moved my tranining date, but its that worry that things could go wrong. I dont think i have a "work visa" i have the letter from the Canadian commision to hand in at the border to grant me give me a work visa, or are these the same thing?
Hi If you work permit dosnt say who you are going to be when you come to canada you can try and get another job with someone else. I worked at siemans for 2 years and they are a good compay to work for, The work in Saskatoon is slow at the moment there are a lot of trucks sat around and a lot of angry drivers. I know a lot of Siemans drivers and they are all being sat around for 3-5 days in the USA waiting for loads, and to top it off you are not being payed for all the sitting around so it really hurts the pocket.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

this is the man to listen to he is in your game and knows the score and he is in your area.i got my permit at immigration when i landed so i think you will find they will put the companys name on it.phone the company tmoz and put your mind at rest.GOOD LUCK MATE.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 7:12 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
That's the danger of coming over here on a work permit. The company can lay you off for any reason and there is nothing you can do about that (if they provide you with the appropriate notice period).

This is not England, they do not have to provide a reason and, if you are not able to obtain a work permit with another company, you will not be able to work over here.

Only you can decide whether you are prepared to take such a risk as only you know your comfort zone.
Everyone coming over in a WP, perhaps even PR should check out the Employment Standards in the province you are going to. If you have worked for under 3 months, employers do not need by law to give any notice, they can just tell you not to show to anymore. Always good to know where you stand or might stand.
SK Employment Standards http://www.labour.gov.sk.ca/LS/
Old Jun 28th 2009, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone im going to ring them later today fingers crossed