Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What to do in an emergency?

What to do in an emergency?

Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

PurpleLotus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do in an emergency?

Hi all, weve been living in BC for a couple of months now, and we love it!
My question is this... if we were to have an accident, break a limb etc... what do we do? Insurance doesnt kick in for a while, and no idea of what the costs would be for xrays, doctors fees, examinations, etc. Do we go to the nearest hospital and face huge bills? Is there any help financially etc?

Any idea's, just in case of an emergency?
Thanks all,
Purps xxx :-)
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do in an emergency?

Originally Posted by PurpleLotus
My question is this... if we were to have an accident, break a limb etc... what do we do? Insurance doesnt kick in for a while, and no idea of what the costs would be for xrays, doctors fees, examinations, etc. Do we go to the nearest hospital and face huge bills? Is there any help financially etc?

Thanks all,
Can't you just get private insurance coverage?
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Can't you just get private insurance coverage?

Sorry, I should have mentioned... we have filled out the private med forms etc, but what if something happens in the meantime? Was just curious as I havent heard of anyone going through this before.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I should have mentioned... we have filled out the private med forms etc, but what if something happens in the meantime? Was just curious as I havent heard of anyone going through this before.
Oh sorry I thought you where waiting for the provincial healthcare to kick in. Not sure what the answer is hopefully someone else will know
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Oh sorry I thought you where waiting for the provincial healthcare to kick in. Not sure what the answer is hopefully someone else will know
No problem Elaine, thanks for your help... im just curious lol hopefully someone will know more on the subject and the info may be of use to someone at somepoint, its just been on my mind when the cogs have been turning... nothing on tv over here so the old grey matter has more time to quesiton these things ;-)

Purps :-)
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:02 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

if you have been here over two months already - won't your MSP kick in on Thursday? (In BC you need to be here for two full months and the remainder of the 3rd month, so if you land on the 29th of a month you only have a day or so of that month to complete).

Anyway, what you do if you need medical treatment is pay. A trip to the doctors will cost between $50 and $150 dollars, a broken bone is around $500 etc.

Keep healthy!

Clare
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ClareBC
if you have been here over two months already - won't your MSP kick in on Thursday? (In BC you need to be here for two full months and the remainder of the 3rd month, so if you land on the 29th of a month you only have a day or so of that month to complete).

Anyway, what you do if you need medical treatment is pay. A trip to the doctors will cost between $50 and $150 dollars, a broken bone is around $500 etc.

Keep healthy!

Clare

Thanks Clare :-)
Was just curious as to the fee's etc. We've been here two months on the 1st May. It was just a rhetorical question, and the advice may come in handy for someone in the future... I hope no one needs it lol but you never know!

Last edited by PurpleLotus; Apr 29th 2008 at 1:17 am.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

lee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nice

Hi, not sure if this will help. You can get Blue Cross Ontario insurance cover until your health care kicks in, as you have already landed, you just need to wait 72 hours for coverage to begin. It would be classed as " Visitors Travel Insurance" you just put in your province, then it will list the different options eg waiting for health care etc
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lee58uk
Hi, not sure if this will help. You can get Blue Cross Ontario insurance cover until your health care kicks in, as you have already landed, you just need to wait 72 hours for coverage to begin. It would be classed as " Visitors Travel Insurance" you just put in your province, then it will list the different options eg waiting for health care etc

Hi Lee, many thanks for the input... its something ive been curious about, and just wondered what the options were - if any.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

lee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nice

There are lots of option, If you browse their web page, go to travel insurance tab. Put in your province and it explains the options. (search google - Blue Cross - Ontario ) Any probs let me know.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 3:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all,

My partner doesn't have health insurance. She's been here for around five years and eligible for the provincial plan for a year or so but hasn't got around to going to enroll. We just pay cash at the hospital and claim it back on income taxes.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice
Unhappy Re: What to do in an emergency?

On our last trip last year our son was only 8 weeks old and became ill. We took him to a walk in clinic on Vancouver Island and the doctor was the most professional and thorough medic I have ever seen............a full head to toe, internal and diagnosis for $40 well worth it. (The doc was the spitting image of jennifer anniston and when I suddenly came over all faint and reached for my $40 my missus cured me.........a spot of fresh air outside! )
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:51 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was rushed in for emergency surgery 2 or 3 weeks before our Alberta Health care kicked in. Alberta healthcare coverd our bill for us.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 2:04 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
My partner doesn't have health insurance. She's been here for around five years and eligible for the provincial plan for a year or so but hasn't got around to going to enroll. We just pay cash at the hospital and claim it back on income taxes.
Ooer, I would enroll, I really would. A lovely lady I met through a yahoo immigration group was involved in a car crash (black ice near Kelowna, and she was the passenger), so far she owes over a Million dollars for her medical expenses, and no, she was not enrolled in MSP
Old Apr 30th 2008, 2:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Ooer, I would enroll, I really would. A lovely lady I met through a yahoo immigration group was involved in a car crash (black ice near Kelowna, and she was the passenger), so far she owes over a Million dollars for her medical expenses, and no, she was not enrolled in MSP
I do nag from time to time but I don't want to seem to be bleating constantly. The thing is, national health care, free health care, is something people from the UK expect and value but people from other countries don't get worked up about; in most countries people expect healthcare to cost and evaluate physical repairs against, say, house repairs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.