Reload this Page >

What do the children think?

What do the children think?

Old Oct 25th 2007, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

HelNAl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do the children think?

Thanks you two ,
Ive been trying to tell her this and she has already seen first hand how pleasant Canadian kids were when we visited our friends in Calgary in 2005.It's just now that it is not Calgary we are heading for she is panicking.
She asked me to post this thread so now I can show her your replies.
Cheers Hels
Old Oct 25th 2007, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

kimber is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Parris
I have an eight year old son who wants to ask you a few questions.

What do the children think of Canada?
What do they think of school?
Do they get to do lots of sports?
Hello my two children are aged 12 and 9 and they love it here, they have settled into school really well and they even say they both feel safer here, we lived in the uk and moved here in april 2007.

Now as far as i am concerned if the children are happy, then it makes mum and dad even happier, don't you think, they have so many friends now and they are all so kind and nice. They miss everyone back in england, but they do say to me now and again, promise us we won't move back as we love it here. so i hope this answers your question. where abouts are you thinking of moving to?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelNAl
HI sorry to hijack the thread,but my daughter in almost 15 and she is very worried about fitting in .Has any one had experiences with this age of girls fitting into School, social etc.She watches too many US teen programs/films where the other girls are really bitchy to the newbie.
Thanks Hels

Hi There

I have a 12 year old daughter and most of the oldies on her know what a bad time she had in the UK at High School - that bad that she chose to come out earlier than me to join Dad. We have never lookedback with her - loves school, more confidence and just enjoys life for what it is.

Originally Posted by kimber
Hello my two children are aged 12 and 9 and they love it here, they have settled into school really well and they even say they both feel safer here, we lived in the uk and moved here in april 2007.

Exactly, with Hannah being bullied in the UK and being afraid of "weird" people in the UK she constantly tells me how safe she feels in Canada.

What would she say was the best thing ? Only doing a 4.5 day week at school here in Lethbridge they don't get mid morning or afternoon breaks (apart from7minutes) so they accumulate this for an early finish on a Friday

Now as far as i am concerned if the children are happy, then it makes mum and dad even happier, don't you think, they have so many friends now and they are all so kind and nice. They miss everyone back in england, but they do say to me now and again, promise us we won't move back as we love it here. so i hope this answers your question.
Again this is exactly how I feel and what the kids ask us too

Gaynor
x
Old Oct 25th 2007, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi There

I have a 12 year old daughter and most of the oldies on her know what a bad time she had in the UK at High School - that bad that she chose to come out earlier than me to join Dad. We have never lookedback with her - loves school, more confidence and just enjoys life for what it is.

Again this is exactly how I feel and what the kids ask us too

Gaynor
x
Yes i totally agree with you on the bullying, it is bad in the uk, my daughter was bullied to, she did not have a lot of friends at school back in the uk, but over here, she has loads, and her first day in school here sticks in my head, because when we picked her up, her first words were "i have got so many friends and it's only my first day" so that done it for me, i was so happy and she is so happy and does not get any bellyaches anymore, or she does not cry anymore in the mornings not wanting to go to school. so glad your daughter is enjoying her life now.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Parris is an unknown quantity at this point

"Reply from J.D."

Thank you for all your Replies from everyone.

I am looking forward to living in Canada.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Canda.:

I will tallk to you soon.

for J.D.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Parris
"Reply from J.D."

Thank you for all your Replies from everyone.

I am looking forward to living in Canada.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Canda.:

I will tallk to you soon.

for J.D.
Glad you are still moving here and looking forward to it, where abouts are you moving too? if you don't mind me asking?

Remember one thing - we have had our lives (mind you i am not old ha, ha) no honestly i think of it like this "we have had our lives growing up, now it is our children's turn, they will have a better future here and more prospects" and will be able to afford a mortgage - not like back in the uk.

SO GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MOVE
Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Parris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kimber
Glad you are still moving here and looking forward to it, where abouts are you moving too? if you don't mind me asking?

Remember one thing - we have had our lives (mind you i am not old ha, ha) no honestly i think of it like this "we have had our lives growing up, now it is our children's turn, they will have a better future here and more prospects" and will be able to afford a mortgage - not like back in the uk.

SO GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MOVE
Quiet agree about the mortgage two people on good wages and still struggle to pay it!!

We are looking to move to maybe the Cochrane/Okotoks area, going over at Xmas to have a look at the areas.

Tanya (Parris OH)
Old Oct 29th 2007, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to the parents of older kids who have replied!

We have a 13 year old daughter (nearly 14) who when we first applied was 'cool' about it and was looking for a house for us etc.. Now if we mention Canada its all 'so unfair' that we are going. This lasts for a while then back to house hunting again!

We think that she may be worried about making friends, new school and area where she is not sure about where things are. Not easy to get her to open up but we try!

Any tips from parents of teenagers that have moved that may help or is this just normal?
Old Oct 29th 2007, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by High numbers
Thanks to the parents of older kids who have replied!

We have a 13 year old daughter (nearly 14) who when we first applied was 'cool' about it and was looking for a house for us etc.. Now if we mention Canada its all 'so unfair' that we are going. This lasts for a while then back to house hunting again!

We think that she may be worried about making friends, new school and area where she is not sure about where things are. Not easy to get her to open up but we try!

Any tips from parents of teenagers that have moved that may help or is this just normal?

Just wanted to let you know that you're not on your own. Our youngest son (will be 14 in January) couldn't wait for us to move when we first talked about going to Canada. Now, however, he is far more reluctant. He's told both his Dad and myself its because his elder brother had the opportunity to complete his secondary school education and that if he was allowed to do the same he'd be happy!

I know Mini Beast will be fine once we move and feel sure his reluctance is down to venturing into the unknown. He also spends time looking at the mls site choosing us a home - usually one with a pool!

Lynne
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beastie
Just wanted to let you know that you're not on your own. Our youngest son (will be 14 in January) couldn't wait for us to move when we first talked about going to Canada. Now, however, he is far more reluctant. He's told both his Dad and myself its because his elder brother had the opportunity to complete his secondary school education and that if he was allowed to do the same he'd be happy!

I know Mini Beast will be fine once we move and feel sure his reluctance is down to venturing into the unknown. He also spends time looking at the mls site choosing us a home - usually one with a pool!

Lynne
Thanks for that!
It is still hard as it does make you question why you started the whole process in the first place!! There is enough to think about and do without questioning why.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by High numbers
It is still hard as it does make you question why you started the whole process in the first place!!
The little loves still do that occasionally when you get here too. My 9 year old has had a few 'moments' this last week or so. And I have got really down about it. I'm sure it's a passing phase. Please.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Alro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ann m
The little loves still do that occasionally when you get here too. My 9 year old has had a few 'moments' this last week or so. And I have got really down about it. I'm sure it's a passing phase. Please.
Hi Ann M

I fully understand what you are saying here. When we left the UK (August 1st 2007), our 12 year old's form teacher told us to watch for the six week "downer" as she often saw it in foreign children at her school. Sure enough, six weeks in our daughter felt down. It is really hard to know what to say toyour kids sometimes but they all get through it. Our daughter has made some wonderful friends at her school. They are a great bunch of kids who look out for each other. We had a recent upset (see cat taken by coyote thread) and we had lots of tears by both our kids but they are getting through it the best way they can.

I hope that you don't feel too down about your daughter as children can't possibly understand that for a lot of people the main reason that they move here is to give their children a better life and future. They will understand later in life when they fondly look back on all they wonderful experiences they have had in Canada.

By the way, thanks for your good wishes when I posted a question on what to wear for my first interview. I applied for four jobs here and got offered three of them. I took the first one and am loving it. Thanks you again for your wishes of good luck. I was having a moment of my own that day

Alro
Old Oct 30th 2007, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

vickyq is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, just after a little bit of reassurance, wanting to move over to Nova Scotia in July of next year, have 2 boys one at the age of 12 and one who will be 11, the 11year old is well into ice hockey and has played for 4 years, but the older one hasnt really got many friends and has no sport, is their plenty for him to do, so he wont feel so alone without his few friends from his current school and enviroment.
Vicky
Old Oct 30th 2007, 3:53 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelNAl
HI sorry to hijack the thread,but my daughter in almost 15 and she is very worried about fitting in .Has any one had experiences with this age of girls fitting into School, social etc.She watches too many US teen programs/films where the other girls are really bitchy to the newbie.
Thanks Hels
My youngest daughter 17 did have trouble fitting in because of the clique's but this year she has joined some clubs and is very happy with her new friends and life in general. Although both daughters (I have a 20 year old) miss Next (I dont it has saved my wallet).
Old Oct 30th 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vickyq
Hi, just after a little bit of reassurance, wanting to move over to Nova Scotia in July of next year, have 2 boys one at the age of 12 and one who will be 11, the 11year old is well into ice hockey and has played for 4 years, but the older one hasnt really got many friends and has no sport, is their plenty for him to do, so he wont feel so alone without his few friends from his current school and enviroment.
Vicky
I am also going to NS next year and have sons age 12 and 6 (will be 13 and 7 then) so they wont be the only new kids in town.

Where abouts are you planning to live?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.