Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What did you ship over? everything but the kitchen sink?

What did you ship over? everything but the kitchen sink?

Old Feb 8th 2009, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all
Default Re: What did you ship over? everything but the kitchen sink?

I brought a container and am glad I did. In fact, I wish I hadn't been so ruthless in my clear out. Most of my furniture is relatively new and good quality.

I brought my Onkyo radio/CD player with me as it was only 18 months old and no-one would buy it. At the moment it is working fine (I am aware of insurance issues). I now wish I had brought my sewing machine, cordless drill and small kitchen appliances to work with transformers.

My laptop and printer are dual-voltage so there is no problem with those.

In the end, I think it is a personal decision.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

Same as the above poster, we brought a container and the biggest plus point was having things with us that were familiar to the children. I'll never forget their faces when they seen all their lovely stuff going back in to their bedrooms! I brought everything but the electrics, apart from my GHD hair straightners and have never regretted doing so. I don't think I could have replaced all my furniture for the $8k it cost us, and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to get rid of sentimental stuff.

But like someone else said, it's all about personal preference. Car boot sales rock!

All the best
Miss M x
Old Feb 8th 2009, 5:26 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We shared a container, left behind a really nice bed, dining table and sofa amongst things like rolling pins, mixing bowls, potato peelers and tin openers. Oh how we wish we had brought them, even if we decided to get shot once we had bought new, the stuff would have filled several empty spaces whilst we were looking - in fact we would probably have still kept it all. If you hvae stuff you like - bring it!
Old Feb 8th 2009, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

BC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant future

We're planning on taking most things with us except for beds & bedding, wardrobes and sets of drawers and most electrical stuff, we only plan on taking laptop and hair staighteners as I think they're dual voltage. Though as our old tv died, we recently bought a lovely new Sony lcd tv which would be good if we can take it, will it really not work in Canada or should we try to sell it?

Last edited by BC-Roo; Feb 8th 2009 at 5:55 am. Reason: blonde moment
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BC-Roo
We're planning on taking most things with us except for beds & bedding, wardrobes and sets of drawers and most electrical stuff, we only plan on taking laptop and hair staighteners as I think they're dual voltage. Though as our old tv died, we recently bought a lovely new Sony lcd tv which would be good if we can take it, will it really not work in Canada or should we try to sell it?
I miss my lovely thick winter king size duvet which I wish I had brought. I have found duvets here to be expensive (although the majority of them seem to be feather/down) and thin. We ended up buying a 'cheap' one from Ikea at $129 - it's about the thickest synthetic one I have found.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:45 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought over a full 40' container and thank goodness we did. We still had to shop for quite a lot of stuff - that was fun at first but the novelty soon wore off. Once you are here there is far more exciting things to do that shop for evey spoon, blanket or chair. As for electrical stuff, we left everything behind - it would have been useless here. All the shippers who quoted for us insisted that they had to pack - that was the only way they had of knowing what was in the container and made sure we weren't smuggling etc.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Best of all, it's the warmest feeling in the world when your shipment arrives at your new home
So true. Our shipment came on Friday and I'm still stroking my stainless steel Brabantia kitchen bin! The guys doing the unwrapping thought I was bonkers getting excited about my lovely laundry basket. Bless them, they did their best to understand!!

We've been here 2 years and have only just shipped our things which were in storage (with friends...for free luckily) while we worked out what we were doing.

It's not just about how much things are worth (although we could never have replaced it all for the shipping cost) but it's about making our new house a home. It's like our UK and Canadian lives have converged. It's lovely! (All I need now is my Mum ... She didn't fancy the lack of view from the container...)
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
We sold off/gave away mainly electricals and took just about everything else in a 20ft container.

We are a family of four and there is no way we could have replaced all our household items with the price of a shipping a container. Over here our beds cost $1100 each and thats without the bedding!

In most cases, your new Canadian home will be much more spacious than the one you left behind. All our old livingroom furniture is now used in our family room in the basement. Our kitchen cupboards are filled with the same utensils, etc we used in the UK. The small things really add up, so take them all.

From our garage we took racking, gardening tools, tent, 4 bicycles and tools.

We took boxes and boxes of clothes, after all we have 4 seasons here so winter coats/boots and shorts/sandals from the UK will all be used. Took all our books, DVDs/CDs, toys, boxed games, photos, pictures/prints, mirrors, ornaments, vases, computer, desk, towels, ironing board, linen baskets, 1 double bed and bedding, 3 chests of drawers, bedside cabinets (you may have extra bedrooms to furnish for guests too).

Once here, you will need to spend a lot of money replacing your electricals and buying a vehicle(s). You'll be glad not to have to start from scratch again, and I can assure you, the novelty of shopping for a household basics will wear thin pretty fast and you'll soon notice that your money will not go nearly as far as you think.

Best of all, it's the warmest feeling in the world when your shipment arrives at your new home. It's feels just like Christmas, unwrapping everything and being reunited with your personal items.

In a new country, in a new home, it's a great feeling to have some familiarity back
Totally agree. My only regret was about some of the things we didn't bring, as I was very ruthless in getting the size of our shipment down (so as to fit in a shared container). I miss all my gardening and DIY equipment, although my neighbours had a field day I wonder whether it depends at what point in your life you are at? For us there were almost twenty years of shared life stuff to bring, as well as all the children's things. If we had bought everything new we would have been living in a very anonymous environment - IKEAtastic, but definitely not home!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

englishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really nice

I have just had a quote from movecorp via the internet.
Pasted it below

"""Following your recent enquiry, I am pleased to enclose written confirmation of your quotation for removals from Hastings to New Brunswick, Canada, which is:

£3,649.00 exempt of VAT door to door for a 20ft container and for our premium service, which includes the following:

A full packing service of your boxes.
A full export wrapping service of your furniture and larger items in order to protect them whilst in transit.
Customs clearance of your goods at the port of entry. If you are required to attend Customs at the port then our agent will accompany you to ensure that the procedure goes smoothly.
Delivery of your goods into your residence and removal of debris.

Excludes

Duties, taxes, storage, demurrage quarantine/steam cleaning fees, fumigation charges, customs inspection fees. Collection/delivery above 1st floor, shuttle service or collection/delivery via destination agents store due to poor access."""

IS this about the average cost, and does it normally include insurances?
Also why exclude VAT, do we not have to pay it??
Chris
Old Feb 11th 2009, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishintruder
Pasted it below

"""Following your recent enquiry, I am pleased to enclose written confirmation of your quotation for removals from Hastings to New Brunswick, Canada, which is:

£3,649.00 exempt of VAT door to door for a 20ft container and for our premium service, which includes the following:

A full export wrapping service of your furniture and larger items in order to protect them whilst in transit.
Customs clearance of your goods at the port of entry. If you are required to attend Customs at the port then our agent will accompany you to ensure that the procedure goes smoothly.

Excludes

Duties, taxes, storage, demurrage quarantine/steam cleaning fees, fumigation charges, customs inspection fees. Collection/delivery above 1st floor, shuttle service or collection/delivery via destination agents store due to poor access."""

Chris
Did they state a volume in the quote? A 20 ft container is around 1000 cu ft.

Insurance is usually extra @ 3% of insured value.

I think removal to outside of the EU is VAT exempt. I don't know if tax would apply at the Canadian end though.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:34 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
sorry but as speaking as someone who lives in Canada I strongly advise against bring ANY electricals
for one thing it will null insurance and secondly they simply are not compatible
true.....

But if you know what you’re doing you get goods that work for a minimal cost

yes you'll invalidate your insurance by using European non CSA approved goods, but goods produced to CE standard are usually better built and to more stringent standards and would pose a lower risk electrically than anything you buy here.

Catch 22…
Old Feb 11th 2009, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

BC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by minimeeze
I miss my lovely thick winter king size duvet which I wish I had brought. I have found duvets here to be expensive (although the majority of them seem to be feather/down) and thin. We ended up buying a 'cheap' one from Ikea at $129 - it's about the thickest synthetic one I have found.

Minimeeze, I thought the bed sizes were different in Canada. Will UK duvet sizes fit Canadian beds?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 6:24 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishintruder
Pasted it below

Excludes

Chris
We are paying £3300 to NS for 20 foot sole container approx 1000 cubic feet

Insurance normally 2.5- 3% of the value on your goods, we are paying 2.5%

You will not have to pay VAT on the quote.

Something you may need to factor in is a one off handling fee at the other end and storage costs, if you do not have an address for your goods to be delivered to immediately after your goods are cleared through customs.

Hope this helps
Old Feb 11th 2009, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
We are paying £3300 to NS for 20 foot sole container approx 1000 cubic feet

Insurance normally 2.5- 3% of the value on your goods, we are paying 2.5%

You will not have to pay VAT on the quote.

Something you may need to factor in is a one off handling fee at the other end and storage costs, if you do not have an address for your goods to be delivered to immediately after your goods are cleared through customs.

Hope this helps
Hey nikki dreaming, did PSS ask if you were a member of UK2NOVASCOTIA ?, when they quoted us i said i wasn't (true at the time) now if registered for free it seems that they can get cheaper quotes from PSS (who strangely enough e-mailed me asking if i'd like a quote.

Stuart
Old Feb 11th 2009, 6:43 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu-pot
Hey nikki dreaming, did PSS ask if you were a member of UK2NOVASCOTIA ?, when they quoted us i said i wasn't (true at the time) now if registered for free it seems that they can get cheaper quotes from PSS (who strangely enough e-mailed me asking if i'd like a quote.

Stuart
Hi

I think they may have asked and I said no, although I think I am on their email address book didn't think, perhaps I should have, although I'm not sure if you have to be actively using UK2NS services to obtain the discount??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.