Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What did you not bring that you should have brought.

What did you not bring that you should have brought.

Old Oct 7th 2006, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to all
Default Re: What did you not bring that you should have brought.

Do not bring electrical for obvious reasons......... hubby did want to bring out cd player and yes you guessed it ..... it did not work properly on the voltage here...... using a travel plug just did not cut it.

My hairdryer wouldn't work properly with a travel plug either. (Bad Vidal Sassoon!)

Only things to work here are the electric toothbrushes, my hair straighteners and the computer (box not screen) .... but that is because you can switch the voltage on your pc.

I bought all my pots and pans, dishes and kitchen utensils and I am glad I did.

Did not bring any bedding because the sizes are different.

Bring your memories - you will be very glad you did. Once you get to put your own things into your new home it does help you feel more settled. Particularly photo's and pictures.

Try not to think you will automatically buy everything new........ the costs are the same as home and you are so busy at first shopping becomes a real chore...... not to mention...... as people have said............ the tastes here a more dated than back in the UK.

Good luck!
Old Oct 7th 2006, 1:54 am
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Madmac
Do not bring electrical for obvious reasons......... hubby did want to bring out cd player and yes you guessed it ..... it did not work properly on the voltage here...... using a travel plug just did not cut it.

My hairdryer wouldn't work properly with a travel plug either. (Bad Vidal Sassoon!)

Only things to work here are the electric toothbrushes, my hair straighteners and the computer (box not screen) .... but that is because you can switch the voltage on your pc.

I bought all my pots and pans, dishes and kitchen utensils and I am glad I did.

Did not bring any bedding because the sizes are different.

Bring your memories - you will be very glad you did. Once you get to put your own things into your new home it does help you feel more settled. Particularly photo's and pictures.

Try not to think you will automatically buy everything new........ the costs are the same as home and you are so busy at first shopping becomes a real chore...... not to mention...... as people have said............ the tastes here a more dated than back in the UK.

Good luck!

Mrs Madmad, are your straighteners GHD's, if so do you feel the heat up the same on the travel plug?

I have found mine don't although they are still pretty good, also my indicator light doesn't flash anymore.

Raine

Raine
Old Oct 7th 2006, 2:14 am
Cowtown

Originally Posted by ellsie
Counting down three weeks till the container doors shut and that's it. What do you regret leaving behind or selling off cheap at the car boot?
The mood I'm in right now ... a return ticket

Old Oct 7th 2006, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to all

Originally Posted by raine66
Mrs Madmad, are your straighteners GHD's, if so do you feel the heat up the same on the travel plug?

I have found mine don't although they are still pretty good, also my indicator light doesn't flash anymore.

Raine

Raine
No my pair are by Andrew Collinge. They have an adjustment digital temp on them so I think that is why they still work fine. They also have a digital display and bleep when ready.... and it all stills works and heats up just as quickly. So I am not going to buy new ones until these one die. (Famous last words.... they will of course die on me now!)
Old Oct 7th 2006, 3:09 am
jacquidur

jacquidur is on a distinguished road

Stainless steel lemon juicer - cheap in UK, expensive here.
Wooden rolling pin.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 3:29 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowtown
The mood I'm in right now ... a return ticket
I thought you might be headed that way .... wassup???
Old Oct 7th 2006, 3:32 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Madmac
My hubby insisted on bringing the music centre, and we're very glad he did!

It would have been expensive to replace and runs very well on a small transformer.
He likes it cos he has a collection of LP's he still likes to be able to play!
Old Oct 7th 2006, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum!
Old Oct 7th 2006, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Canada2006
Don't they have Banana Republic (gulp!)?

Saw loads in the states, but couldn't figure out why everyone was so badly dressed.

When I went to Vancouver I took with me several good U.K. suits,office shoes,ties etc. All good makes. I was told by my boss - a Cornish guy, "not to be stupid and wear this stuff" so I never did. Outdoors you will stick out even more. But the trick is to get used to it. In fact here in U.K. they are also weaning people off the Good Dress Code in many companies. Not to frighten the ethnic minorities, I guess.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Lightbulb Re: What did you not bring that you should have brought.

Originally Posted by Hangman
Explain please.
If you remove the ceiling or wall lights you will see 3 wires poking out,Right? In each country they have a different techinque of attaching the electric wires from your new lamps to the wires in the wall. In .U.K. and rest of Europe we use a plastic blocks with brass screws, which makes a very reliable and strong joint. In Canada they expect you to twist both wires between fingers and then cap it with something looking like a Toothpaste top. Ehhh,...It'sss o.k. but a pig if wires are different gauge.And when I was there you could not buy the chocks there.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 8:19 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gezza
When I went to Vancouver I took with me several good U.K. suits,office shoes,ties etc. All good makes. I was told by my boss - a Cornish guy, "not to be stupid and wear this stuff" so I never did. Outdoors you will stick out even more. But the trick is to get used to it. In fact here in U.K. they are also weaning people off the Good Dress Code in many companies. Not to frighten the ethnic minorities, I guess.
I went to Vancouver in UK business dress and was told in no uncertain terms that it was not appropriate
Old Oct 7th 2006, 9:20 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raine66

Raine

Raine
Reason they won't heat up properly as they are probably 220-240V 50Hz 35W (same as mine). That means they will be running at 1/2 voltage. You need to use a 100VA rated Step-up Transformer: 110V ac to 230V ac.

Here is a UK link http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...24488&doy=7m10 .

If you buy one in Canada do not buy one rated at 40W as its too close the full capacity and will get hot. Try to buy at least 100VA.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 9:48 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishB
A different man!
harsh, yet, appealing. i'm up for a swap.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 1:55 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Reason they won't heat up properly as they are probably 220-240V 50Hz 35W (same as mine). That means they will be running at 1/2 voltage. You need to use a 100VA rated Step-up Transformer: 110V ac to 230V ac.

Here is a UK link http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...24488&doy=7m10 .

If you buy one in Canada do not buy one rated at 40W as its too close the full capacity and will get hot. Try to buy at least 100VA.

Cheers for that sending OH out to get one as we speak (with baseball cap in tow)

Raine
Old Oct 7th 2006, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rae
harsh, yet, appealing. i'm up for a swap.
Made me laugh.............

Harsh but probably realistic.......... I have always found that the men in my life don't do stress very well............ and our current "adventure" is only reinforcing that idea............... we could swap about a few times and see if we could knock off some edges for each other!!

One slightly used husband - free to a good home - will swap for a comparable model!

(God he will really want to kill me now!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.