Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is the demand in Nova Scotia?

What is the demand in Nova Scotia?

Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:56 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is the demand in Nova Scotia?

Does anybody know what skills or professions are in demand in Nova Scotia? Have looked at the Nova Scotia OUP list but there is not too much on there. Hearing that they have something of a population drain to western Canada wondering what the job demand is like there?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:14 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the demand in Nova Scotia?

Wouldnt it be easier telling us what skills you have? Like anywhere, there are jobs here needing filling, most would say only a small amount are advertised, it is a networking kind of situation.

Too broad a question I think, you need to see how you would fit here I think, and if you actually like NS. Last thing any province needs are newcombers who only see it as Visa/PR stepping stone. Have you been here?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:28 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Wouldnt it be easier telling us what skills you have? Like anywhere, there are jobs here needing filling, most would say only a small amount are advertised, it is a networking kind of situation.

Too broad a question I think, you need to see how you would fit here I think, and if you actually like NS. Last thing any province needs are newcombers who only see it as Visa/PR stepping stone. Have you been here?
It is that I am thinking of studying in Nova Scotia and obviously want to study something that could help establish me there, therefore need to know where the possible shortages are. Also I certainly don`t see Nova Scotia as a stepping stone and obviously before committing would visit anyway. Having lived, worked and travelled in many different countries i have no issue or problem adapting anywhere.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:45 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
It is that I am thinking of studying in Nova Scotia and obviously want to study something that could help establish me there, therefore need to know where the possible shortages are. Also I certainly don`t see Nova Scotia as a stepping stone and obviously before committing would visit anyway. Having lived, worked and travelled in many different countries i have no issue or problem adapting anywhere.
Well now that helps us to better help you right? Healthcare is a good area in huge demand here, I know as I am a nurse and a midwife and have just started working here with new grads from NS. Cant offer any other help, but I would imagine that most degrees would open doors.

Good luck with your search!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:50 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Thanks for the advice and tip
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Homegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant future

Look at CareerBeacon.com and the Job Bank to get an idea of what's out there.

A lot of people from here are attracted to Alberta because of the extraordinarily high wages that occur in an oil boom economy. People with excellant jobs here have moved there to "make a killing". However for every one that moves away probably 1.1 will move back and as such there has never been a net loss of population here except for the decades after confederation with Canada; but that's another story.

Consider that an economy is proportional to its population; so
there aren't as many opportunities as what one would find in a larger place
but there are still opportunities. In general Nova Scotia is stable and growing slightly (no boom and bust cycle) so things aren't that bad. The most serious
issue we are facing is high fuel costs which have put a damper on things but everyone else has to contend with that too.

So have a whirl at it - you might find a place for yourself and your family here.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:01 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Homegrown
Look at CareerBeacon.com and the Job Bank to get an idea of what's out there.

A lot of people from here are attracted to Alberta because of the extraordinarily high wages that occur in an oil boom economy. People with excellant jobs here have moved there to "make a killing". However for every one that moves away probably 1.1 will move back and as such there has never been a net loss of population here except for the decades after confederation with Canada; but that's another story.

Consider that an economy is proportional to its population; so
there aren't as many opportunities as what one would find in a larger place
but there are still opportunities. In general Nova Scotia is stable and growing slightly (no boom and bust cycle) so things aren't that bad. The most serious
issue we are facing is high fuel costs which have put a damper on things but everyone else has to contend with that too.

So have a whirl at it - you might find a place for yourself and your family here.
Thanks Homegrown,

Have had a look at the links that you sent me and have proved to be very helpful