Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What car did you all buy

What car did you all buy

Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:19 pm
Lost again

john fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What car did you all buy

Originally Posted by Cowtown
The 2004 Discovery only gets a 4 star front impact safety rating - you can get a 5 star rated car for a lot less ...
We brought 4 new Discovery's TD5 for work. Within 2 weeks they all went back to the main dealer, 4 months later they came back to us from the manufacture with the same fault. The engine oil sump fills up with diesel from the injector. Never again will we buy Landrover.

We now have Toyota pickups and a Landcruser (Highlander).

Buy Toyota and save yourself a load of trouble.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:22 pm
Banned

steals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by john fisher
We brought 4 new Discovery's TD5 for work. Within 2 weeks they all went back to the main dealer, 4 months later they came back to us from the manufacture with the same fault. The engine oil sump fills up with diesel from the injector. Never again will we buy Landrover.

cant agree more we used to have a 4.5 landcruiser probably the best 4x4 there is never go wrong ever
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:23 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by iaink
Do practical condsiderations have anything to do with the buying process for an SUV?
Or pickups - why do you think Dodge called their pickup a RAM?? You might just be just able to see a pro basketball player's head above the hood, but forget about anyone shorter.

That's why it's taking me so long to get a truck - I'm stupid enough to look at things like NCAP safety ratings and fuel efficiency.

Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:29 pm
Banned

steals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant future

Or pickups - why do you think Dodge called their pickup a RAM?? You might just be just able to see a pro basketball player's head above the hood, but forget about anyone shorter.

That's why it's taking me so long to get a truck - I'm stupid enough to look at things like NCAP safety ratings and fuel efficiency.
you must admit there nice though
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:33 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by steals
you must admit there nice though
Got to admit that the tail lights with the ram's head on them are cool

Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:37 pm
Banned

Got to admit that the tail lights with the ram's head on them are cool
yeah nice there a lot of truck for little money
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:40 pm
Cowtown

yeah nice there a lot of truck for little money
Maybe I need to take one out for a test drive? Whatcha think?

Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:43 pm
Banned

Maybe I need to take one out for a test drive? Whatcha think?
i think you do im hiring another on sunday the 5.7 hemi what a good truck i went all over in it 2 months ago drove spot on
Old Sep 9th 2005, 12:03 am
Cowtown

i think you do im hiring another on sunday the 5.7 hemi what a good truck i went all over in it 2 months ago drove spot on
Ever tried an F150?

Incidently, the Dodge RAM, Ford F150 and Honda Ridgline all get 5 star safety ratings ... that's good in my book.

Old Sep 9th 2005, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Ever tried an F150?

Incidently, the Dodge RAM, Ford F150 and Honda Ridgline all get 5 star safety ratings ... that's good in my book.
Depends how long you intend to keep your truck really. If you want decent resale...got to be a Toyota, Honda, Nisan etc...plus the added bonus of reliability. Sad...but true, the North American Auto industry has a lot of catching up to do...as sales figures over the past few years indicate. North American buyers are spending on imports (or import manufactures) to a far greater degree than hither too...the patriotic buy 'made in the USA' no longer applying to the same degree. You want quality/reliabilty...then you have to go the extra bucks for Toyota's etc....at least for the moment.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john fisher

Can't comment of the TD5. My own was the last of the TDI's...and never had a moments trouble with it...maybe I was lucky.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 12:52 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to buy a truck after moving here but didnt really need one and bought a 'sensible' small SUV.

Of the fullsize trucks on the market....

GMC/Chevy are really old designs and dont look the part.

The Dodge Ram (a truck I've driven quite regularly) is comfortable and I kinda like the look but I dont think there is much room in the back seats (I would only buy a double cab version as I need to carry more than 2 people on occasion!)

The F150 is the newest design and I really like it. The interior, especially in the Lariat versions is to my mind as good as a luxury SUV. (And I count a spell working at Landrover in my career history.) I found the F150 quiet on the road and very comfortable. Its what I would have bought had I gone for a truck.

Cant speak for the Nissan & Toyota but I do think they have a lower tow rate (6500 vs 8000lbs) which might be significant.

Bottom line on any of the fullsize trucks is that prices and residuals are going to tank as gas prices move steadily (or unsteadily) upwards. As a consequent there are some cracking deals, particularly on leases and lease is the way to go. You can basically get any of the big 3 for around $350 a month over 24/36 months. Thats a lot of truck for not a lot of dosh IMHO.

Mind you having been here a while my truck testosterone fantasies are turning towards a F250 with a 6 litre powerstroke diesel. Can you say Bubba?!
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I wanted to buy a truck after moving here but didnt really need one and bought a 'sensible' small SUV.

Of the fullsize trucks on the market....

GMC/Chevy are really old designs and dont look the part.

The Dodge Ram (a truck I've driven quite regularly) is comfortable and I kinda like the look but I dont think there is much room in the back seats (I would only buy a double cab version as I need to carry more than 2 people on occasion!)

The F150 is the newest design and I really like it. The interior, especially in the Lariat versions is to my mind as good as a luxury SUV. (And I count a spell working at Landrover in my career history.) I found the F150 quiet on the road and very comfortable. Its what I would have bought had I gone for a truck.

Cant speak for the Nissan & Toyota but I do think they have a lower tow rate (6500 vs 8000lbs) which might be significant.

Bottom line on any of the fullsize trucks is that prices and residuals are going to tank as gas prices move steadily (or unsteadily) upwards. As a consequent there are some cracking deals, particularly on leases and lease is the way to go. You can basically get any of the big 3 for around $350 a month over 24/36 months. Thats a lot of truck for not a lot of dosh IMHO.

Mind you having been here a while my truck testosterone fantasies are turning towards a F250 with a 6 litre powerstroke diesel. Can you say Bubba?!
I work with a guy who has had a Ram Hemi for a while he is rueing the day he got it, he's doing over $500.00 monthly on gas, added to that they depreciate real fast, when the gas went up the first time earlier this year the Jeep dealers couldnt give 'em away. If you still get here hankering for one, hire one for a week, you'll get pissed off seeing the Gas dial move faster than the speedo. I've got a new model Tacoma, this size of truck is the way most manufacturers are going to go. The Frontier is also an excellent truck. both have better residuals which is a major factor in leasing here.
A crew cab in either with a canopy will cover most bases. The safety is also good.
The Rams are for Redneck gals and men with insecurities about their ding-dongs.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:17 am
Cowtown

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Hey son, I'm a fully converted redneck ... I'll call you Bubba if you like, but Bud is more fitting out west.

Basically I need a truck, but I've been burnt on lease deals in the past - essentially you pay a lot and you only own 50% at best of the vehicle at best after 3 years, no matter what the real value is.

Diesel looks best from the fuel economy side of things - why on earth would you want a gas powered truck for hauling stuff??

You want something fast? Buy a mustang ...

I just don't want to lose a stack of cash just by driving a new truck out of the dealership - so looks like I'm going to be the second owner.

I had a bad experience with an eastern manufactured vehicle after a couple of hail storms this summer and on consideration, I'd never buy one again - I just don't want that golf ball texture on my truck - so it looks I'm going with an F150 or a RAM, or not at all.

I just have to work out what my boat and the water hauling needs will be

Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:19 am
Cowtown

Originally Posted by London7
The Rams are for Redneck gals and men with insecurities about their ding-dongs.
Was that girls with ding-dongs? I'm sure glad I live out west ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.