Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What car did you all buy

What car did you all buy

Old Sep 7th 2005, 2:36 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What car did you all buy

Originally Posted by RSK
I hear from quite a few immigrants that they prefer Japanese/German cars to American ones since Japanese/German fetch a better resale value than the domestic. Is that what you all also think.

Cheers
rsk
Most definately. Imports over here hold their value much better than domestics. We have 2 Jap cars, a Mazda Tribute AWD (lovely car) and good old reliable Honda Civic which is one of the best selling models in Canada. The domestic cars loose value quicker because they are cheaper in the first place, but also there are also always deals on new ones which of course push down the second hand values.
With the risk of being shot down in flames, I would also argue that generally European/Jap cars are way better than their American counterparts, one of the reasons why you see so few American cars in Europe. If you read the motoring press, they tend to agree.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Originally Posted by steals
I will be there in a month im going to get a dodge durango for the runabout and a viper as a toy im not bothered about the fuel cost
Bejesus..... why not go whole hog and get V10 Excursion, you must have more money than sense. The way gas prices are going here you might be eating your words.
Seriously what does anybody (who aint got 5th wheel) need a 5.7L pick-up for??.
The obscene waste of resources in creating these monsters in this day and age is mindblowingly daft. I've seen F650's used by local authorities to haul a few lawn mowers.
Joining in will just encourage Bush to invade some other oil rich nation.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 7:32 am
Banned

steals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hudman
Bejesus..... why not go whole hog and get V10 Excursion, you must have more money than sense. The way gas prices are going here you might be eating your words.
Seriously what does anybody (who aint got 5th wheel) need a 5.7L pick-up for??.
The obscene waste of resources in creating these monsters in this day and age is mindblowingly daft. I've seen F650's used by local authorities to haul a few lawn mowers.
Joining in will just encourage Bush to invade some other oil rich nation.
i want to get a big pick up because i can i want to throw the snowmobile or the quad on the back as well as being able to tow a boat when it gets to the summer months fuel here is now over a £1.00 a litre so its still cheap over there plus im going to buy an acreage so it will comein handy for that
Old Sep 7th 2005, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

brit_in_fizroy will become famous soon enough

Too much testosterone on this post!!! Gas may be cheap wrt UK but after you've been here a while it will soon P^% you off.

I have a Pathfinder to pull the boat and a little Acura EL for the work commute.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 12:56 pm
Cowtown

i want to get a big pick up because i can i want to throw the snowmobile or the quad on the back as well as being able to tow a boat when it gets to the summer months fuel here is now over a £1.00 a litre so its still cheap over there plus im going to buy an acreage so it will comein handy for that
Depending where you buy the acreage, it probably won't be on mains water - a truck gets to be essential for hauling water. Plus we do get snow in most of Canada - if you have an acreage, you need 4WD just to get access to the nearest highway.

Old Sep 7th 2005, 2:09 pm
Banned

steals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Cowtown
Depending where you buy the acreage, it probably won't be on mains water - a truck gets to be essential for hauling water. Plus we do get snow in most of Canada - if you have an acreage, you need 4WD just to get access to the nearest highway.
Yeah i know ive seen pics my friends have sent i cant wait to be blasting about in it ive driven round the grid roads they can be bad just with rain so 4wd is essential as you say
Old Sep 7th 2005, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

brit_in_fizroy will become famous soon enough

Yeah i know ive seen pics my friends have sent i cant wait to be blasting about in it ive driven round the grid roads they can be bad just with rain so 4wd is essential as you say
I always find it amusing, every winter the first vehicles you see in the central reservation on highway 417 in Ottawa are the big 4x4 trucks. 4WD/AWD gets you moving but it don't help you stop. The best thing you can do in the winter is get good snow tires (not the CT variety unless on limited budget), I use Toyo's, and slow down and leave plenty of room in front of you - most importantly, keep away from those big 4x4s.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by brit_in_fizroy
I always find it amusing, every winter the first vehicles you see in the central reservation on highway 417 in Ottawa are the big 4x4 trucks. 4WD/AWD gets you moving but it don't help you stop. The best thing you can do in the winter is get good snow tires (not the CT variety unless on limited budget), I use Toyo's, and slow down and leave plenty of room in front of you - most importantly, keep away from those big 4x4s.
Similar on the way back from the mountains after a days skiing, 4x4 charges past showering slush everywhere .... 5-10 miles down the road same 4x4 in the ditch.

I also find it amusing how some people react when they arrive in Canada with regards to big vehicles, like kids in a candy shop

Each to their own, I just prefer a bit of ROI from my hard earned cash.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:08 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
I also find it amusing how some people react when they arrive in Canada with regards to big vehicles, like kids in a candy shop
Not guilty guv

I've been here for years and it's only since I bought an acreage that a truck has made sense - I'm now trying to decide on a sensible one to buy.

I need ground clearance, 4WD and the ability to haul stuff - I don't want a shiny red hairdresser's truck with half a ton of chrome stuck all over it

Will I ever drive it downtown? Somehow I doubt it, I have a little Honda for that sort of stuff.

Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

Just what Canada needs another macho man tearing through the wilderness.
You should fit in well. Cheap for gas is a relative term and with events down south in New Orleans there is gonna be huge pressures on other perto-chemical industries and products.
Some of these twats you see arsing about with boats get themselves in serious bother and ruin non-motorised funseekers enjoyment.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:21 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

I have been looking at the Volvo S40 for when we eventually land, a friend of mine has got one and it's an impressive car.

Would I be slaughtered on insurance though as it is not built in N America?
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by London7
Just what Canada needs another macho man tearing through the wilderness.
You should fit in well. Cheap for gas is a relative term and with events down south in New Orleans there is gonna be huge pressures on other perto-chemical industries and products.
Some of these twats you see arsing about with boats get themselves in serious bother and ruin non-motorised funseekers enjoyment.
sounds like youre the biggest t+++on here why bother writing if youre only coming out with stuff like that
Old Sep 7th 2005, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Cowtown
What's stopping you?
Restrictions of importing it were too severe so have already sold it. Told you the Green Brigade would be on to ya , I am looking to order a 2006 Civic new model for when we arrive out in October http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=396475 looks really nice and reasonably priced $16 to $25k and most will return 50mpg on a run and are still worth 75% of new value after 3 years. Me and the wife will share this to we have a income then I may have to splash out on New shape Mustang V8 or Corvette sting ray.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 4:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Restrictions of importing it were too severe so have already sold it. Told you the Green Brigade would be on to ya , I am looking to order a 2006 Civic new model for when we arrive out in October http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=396475 looks really nice and reasonably priced $16 to $25k and most will return 50mpg on a run and are still worth 75% of new value after 3 years. Me and the wife will share this to we have a income then I may have to splash out on New shape Mustang V8 or Corvette sting ray.
I just drove a Honda back from Colorado. Holy shit, it was a shock how much gas it used, it's actually cheaper to drive the Mustang.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 4:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
cant fault you Mike my mate has STINGRAY on Nitrous you should see it go its rapid :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.