Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What bugs, BUG you?

What bugs, BUG you?

Old Oct 9th 2011, 11:32 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What bugs, BUG you?

Originally Posted by honeybunny2011
Funny I feel less scared of the thoughts of a bear in my garden than I do about a tiny bug that can bite.
Until you have one in your garden. Then you'll never feel the same.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 5:40 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I'd echo the above about the mossies / black flies / horse flies and no see ums here in Central Ab.

As for other things, maple bugs (red and black like the ones in Iains pic) are somewhat annoying and descend when they come in their hundreds - but they just hang out, chat swap phone numbers and go on their merry way. Harmless really.

As for spiders daddy long legs, and some random penny sized ones of differing colour are about all i've seen since living here.

Can't remember seeing ones the size that you would find in yer bath back in the UK.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The very southern bit of Canada is just about warm enough for them. They are more common in the hotter, more arid, areas like the Thompson Okanagan district where RICH lives. They are also found on the west coast but are rare in this climate. Comb foot spiders are quite common, and although most of then are quite harmless I tend to apply squashing treatment on sight and it is quite hard to tell if the squished remains on the bottom of your shoe really was a rare black widow or just another poor spider going innocently about its business.

There is also another little nasty on the west coast called a Hobo spider. Their bites can cause necrotic arachnidism, like a mild version of a brown recluse bite (we are far too far north for brown recluses).

Don't worry too much. I hate spiders but apart from taking simple precautions, like wearing gloves and long sleeves if you moving a wood pile or clearing out the garden shed, they are not an issue in day to day life.

Edit: I see you are heading to Nova Scotia. I am pretty sure the climate there will not support a population of black widows.
Thanks for reply. Another reason not to move west, apart from long plane journey and expensive housing Must amit I love BC though, so beautiful. I will take extra care re spiders on my next holiday to the west coast now I am aware of what may be lurking
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

tomkent45 has a spectacular aura abouttomkent45 has a spectacular aura abouttomkent45 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by iaink
Mozzies and black flies. Better with the skeetervac, but still a pain as the suns going down.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...k/DSC00745.jpg

Got these stupid black and red beetles all over everything at the moment too, altough they dont seem to do anything.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Elder_Bug.jpg
Mosquito
Old Oct 10th 2011, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

what about earwigs? Does anyone else get them too? Some summers we have tons of them around the house, mainly under cracks in the siding and around the porch and some come into the kitchen