Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What to bring from the UK (to save money/not available in Canada)

What to bring from the UK (to save money/not available in Canada)

Old Apr 7th 2012, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to bring from the UK (to save money/not available in Canada)

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Bovril has been available for many years in the GTA. I have purchased it many times.
I always see the bovril stock stuff in with the gravy in supermarkets, but never the stuff of golden syrup consistency. Not to worry, Mum's visiting in a month and my stocks will be replenished. Good to know it is there......somewhere!
Old Apr 8th 2012, 12:34 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Marks and Sparks deliver to Canada don't they? I have been counting on that - certainly for bras, better fit better everything - I get them to ship here. On the advice of everyone on this forum I am bringing my beds, I've just bought new mattresses and bases (but yes I've slept on the so they aren't new). I really don't like Canadian shoes, they just didn't float my boat - I have bought lots!
Be careful of import duties with deliveries from M&S. Next deliver too as per their website, they pay the import duties though
Old Apr 8th 2012, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

GandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant future

With deliveries from M&S, surely you can just get someone to buy it for you in the UK, and then have it sent to you. When the person in the UK fills out the customs decleration, just say it is a gift, and If I have that right, it means no duty is due. The only tip would be not to take the mick!!
Old Apr 9th 2012, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Juliet C is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are into your clothes bring as many as you can, I found the fashion here dire and I do not consider myself particularly trendy. Decent shoes are very expensive to. My mum brings me deodorant every time she visits as the stuff here does not work (maybe its only me!) , she also brings tea bags as the tea here is pretty weak and Oxo cubes.

Good luck!!
Old Apr 9th 2012, 2:38 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you get Andrews Liver Salts here?
Old Apr 9th 2012, 3:30 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Can you get Andrews Liver Salts here?
From 'British' shops, yes - costs around $9.

http://www.bestbritishfoods.com/Resu...6&secondary=25
Old Apr 9th 2012, 4:29 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
I always see the bovril stock stuff in with the gravy in supermarkets, but never the stuff of golden syrup consistency. Not to worry, Mum's visiting in a month and my stocks will be replenished. Good to know it is there......somewhere!
I haven't been able to find it in a store either, however, I did find it in an online store in Toronto: http://www.memoriesofafrica.net/inde...oducts_id=1243

Old Apr 9th 2012, 4:51 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Bring a sense of humour, you can't buy one over here.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

For those in Victoria or close by, I can assure you that foods imported from the U.K. are available. Seen in my local pharmacy/drug store :-

Yorkshire Pud mix cost $ 2.99
Paxo (imported) cost $2.49.
Bisto Granules cost $5.49 on sale for $ 4.12
Heinz Beans(z) Price in U.K. 75p / here $2.49
Yorkshire Tea cost $6.99 for 40 tea bags
Batchelors Mushy Peas $1.99
Ambrosia Devon Custard $3.99
Heinz Sticky Pudding $5.44/ on sale for $4.12
Cadbury Flake (U.K.) $2.29
Curly Wurly 26gram reg. 99cents on sale for 75 cents
Curly Wurly 5x26 g(130g) $3.99
Polo $1.69
Buttons from U.K. $1.69( small pack 0
larger pack 175g $3.99
Marmite 125g $5.49

Directly across the street in a local branch of a grocery chain I saw P..G Tips tea, many varieties of Tetly tea, Typhoo Tea, hobnobs both oatmeal and chocolate reg. $3.99 on sale for $2.98.Also Bovril in a bottle.

Perhaps you consider them expensive, but consider the transportation cost, the 'middlemen's cost and the mark up for the final retailer.

I do have pictures. I am not very savvy re. this, but wondered if I put all of the pics in a folder and tried to put it( the folder) as an attachment, as opposed to each individual picture , would it work. in other words would the folder open to show all of the pics I have?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Juliet C
If you are into your clothes bring as many as you can, I found the fashion here dire and I do not consider myself particularly trendy. Decent shoes are very expensive to. My mum brings me deodorant every time she visits as the stuff here does not work (maybe its only me!) , she also brings tea bags as the tea here is pretty weak and Oxo cubes.

Good luck!!

Daft question, but do I pack food in my luggage or ship it in the container?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvmeboys
Daft question, but do I pack food in my luggage or ship it in the container?
Both. Some BSOs I know are quite fond of Cadburys chocolate bars but not so much with Bovril.
You mention container what size a 20' or a 40' ? How much food you thinking of bringing
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Largo
Marmite 125g $5.49

Perhaps you consider them expensive, but consider the transportation cost, the 'middlemen's cost and the mark up for the final retailer.
Yes, that's expensive. Those costs apply here too.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Both. Some BSOs I know are quite fond of Cadburys chocolate bars but not so much with Bovril.
You mention container what size a 20' or a 40' ? How much food you thinking of bringing

Old Apr 23rd 2012, 6:14 am
Just Joined

Felixfinch is on a distinguished road

cheap painkillers e.g ibuprofen, paracetamol.

I'm only here on the IEC work permit but I wish I had splashed out for the extra luggage on the flight and brought more clothes, my walking boots, ski stuff etc. I thought it would be cheap to buy that stuff here, now I'll have to have it sent from home!

...cannot get over the cost of food in the supermarkets here. A block of crap cheddar cheese is 4-5x the price you would pay in asda or Tesco.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Typhoo tea, cadburys milk chocolate, dried herbs? will I be ok with this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.