Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is it about . .

What is it about . .

Old Aug 5th 2004, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind chocolate......after nearly 25 years away from Canada I'm so glad to be back in the land of CHEESE POPCORN!
Old Aug 5th 2004, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Sean & Tracy is an unknown quantity at this point

'Hard to fing ketchup'......oh no! Our kids will probably refuse to come with us if they know that! We have to ration them at home, otherwise they would eat it with everything!! We had better pack a case load when we come.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 10:26 pm
Glaswegian

Originally posted by Sean & Tracy
'Hard to fing ketchup'......oh no! Our kids will probably refuse to come with us if they know that! We have to ration them at home, otherwise they would eat it with everything!! We had better pack a case load when we come.
Every supermarket has its own brand ketchup. Here in Calgary you can get Heinz ketchup - no idea if it tastes the same as the UK stuff as I never liked it even as a child. Our children find it acceptable - but then they probably dont remember the UK version!

Old Aug 5th 2004, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Sean & Tracy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Glaswegian,
Happy kids again!
Old Aug 5th 2004, 10:53 pm
squarepants

Am not keen on the cheese popcorn, and the fact that you can't get sugared popcorn at the cinema over here, all they have is salted with butter on it.

Am sure you know what am talking about, if you've been to the silvercity along highway 7. Anyway......how is guelph treating you, I spent a few months working along speedvale avenue for an automation company, and visited the STAMPEDE RANCH occassionally !

Originally posted by CDNReturner
Never mind chocolate......after nearly 25 years away from Canada I'm so glad to be back in the land of CHEESE POPCORN!

Old Aug 5th 2004, 11:03 pm
#include

simonhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup - lack of sugared popcorn at the Cinema was a real problem for me when I first came to Canada :scared:
Old Aug 5th 2004, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

I guess I should clarify - it was during our stay at B&Bs' in the UK that we really did have quite a hard time finding ketchup for our eggs - we were teased all the time about "how North American" we were (all in good fun of course). Some folks had actually eaten scrambled eggs all their lives in the UK and never had the delight of adding ketchup. When we did eat in restaurants' it wasn't on the table with the other condiments - and when we asked - they gave us "that look" as if we were from Mars........(but very politely of course)...Of course, when at the B&Bs' ketchup was found and brought to the table for our use.

However, we survived eating scrambled eggs without ketchup. The Cadbury hazelnut choco bars' made up for the lack of ketchup!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Sean & Tracy
Old Aug 5th 2004, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Being a "sugar freak" I'm dying to know....what on earth is "sugar popcorn" and how do you make it?

Can you buy it in Canada or is it just a UK food?

Originally posted by squarepants
Am not keen on the cheese popcorn, and the fact that you can't get sugared popcorn at the cinema over here, all they have is salted with butter on it.

Am sure you know what am talking about, if you've been to the silvercity along highway 7. Anyway......how is guelph treating you, I spent a few months working along speedvale avenue for an automation company, and visited the STAMPEDE RANCH occassionally !
Old Aug 5th 2004, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Sugar popcorn is pink and I am not sure how it is made. I guess food colouring in sugar....it is quite sweet. I haven't had that since I was a kid....not sure if I would like it now.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Its really good. I have no idea how they make it. I thought everyone had tried it. At least I assume they are talking about the popcorn that is pink and green and orange and its sweet!

Years ago I sent some Canadian type popcorn to my (then) teenage nephews. I gave them complete instructions on how to cook it and how to eat it. However, I learned that they stuck a whole lot in the pan and it all flowed over the top when it popped and then they ate it with milk like puffed wheat!!!
Old Aug 5th 2004, 11:45 pm
Glaswegian

Originally posted by lizwil98
However, I learned that they stuck a whole lot in the pan and it all flowed over the top when it popped and then they ate it with milk like puffed wheat!!!

Thats an idea - did they enjoy it?

Old Aug 5th 2004, 11:48 pm
squarepants

That is exactly the popcorn am talking about. When you go to cinamas in the UK, you get two choices, salted or sugared, unlike here where its just salted, and am not talking about sealed popcorn, am talking about fresh and hot off the machine.

Originally posted by lizwil98
Its really good. I have no idea how they make it. I thought everyone had tried it. At least I assume they are talking about the popcorn that is pink and green and orange and its sweet!

Years ago I sent some Canadian type popcorn to my (then) teenage nephews. I gave them complete instructions on how to cook it and how to eat it. However, I learned that they stuck a whole lot in the pan and it all flowed over the top when it popped and then they ate it with milk like puffed wheat!!!

Old Aug 6th 2004, 12:56 am
Glaswegian

Originally posted by willmore
Some folks had actually eaten scrambled eggs all their lives in the UK and never had the delight of adding ketchup.
Which bit of the UK were you in?

When I commuted to London, I used to like HP sauce on my breakfast egg & sausage torpedo - I'm sure other people had ketchup.

Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My mom is from Ireland - so we spent a great deal of time there - "looking up our family tree", but spent some time in Scotland, Wales and a few days coming/going in London. Less trouble in London - but ketchup not as popular in other countries. In some b&b - were very surprised. In fact, now that I think of it.....when we were in Rye, spending a few days at a b&b there.....the lady who ran it was quite surprised about ketchup with eggs...but she did have some in the fridge - but really "razed" us for being so North American.

It wasn't really a problem......just different cultures really......I was really more shocked by the cost of everything especially in London. Went to McDonald's one day (I know - pretty low class....but nothing else was open)....and having to pay 2 pounds 50 for a large coffee...which worked out to about $5.00 cdn at the time. We got "not bang for our buck at all". Eveything was double in London and at least 1 1/2 times in the other countries - and we won't even get into the COST OF GAS IN THE UK - I will never complain again abut the cost of gas in Canada!!!!

Originally posted by Glaswegian
Which bit of the UK were you in?

When I commuted to London, I used to like HP sauce on my breakfast egg & sausage torpedo - I'm sure other people had ketchup.
Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:51 am
Glaswegian

Not having heard of ketchup at a B&B in Rye makes sense .... she probably reused the tea bags too to be economical

Ladies who run B&B's are a law unto themselves.

London is very expensive .... I seem to remember paying something like 5 pounds for a ciabatta sub from a sandwich shop near Bow Church .... but it was a sandwich unlike any I've experienced in Canada.

Last edited by Glaswegian; Aug 6th 2004 at 2:02 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.