Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

We're thinking of emigrating to Canada - all advice welcome.

We're thinking of emigrating to Canada - all advice welcome.

Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:32 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We're thinking of emigrating to Canada - all advice welcome.

Originally Posted by psb182
I am just telling it like it is thats all
Then dumb is you. Lower Mainland BC (Vancouver and around it), Vancouver Island, much of BC's Interior and most of the west coast do not have extreme seasonal changes - summer is warm and dry, winter is wet and mild. It basically amounts to wearing wool socks with your Birkenstock and a sweater instead of not. Extreme indeed!
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

annie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=psb182]
Originally Posted by Simon_&_Liz

We definitely would like to live in an area that doesn't see too much variation in weather i.e. extreme cold to extreme hot and our preference would be towards the mid-range to warmer climates.

looks like you want to live in North Carolina and want to call it Canada
Gosh, lately there have been so many spiteful unnecessary remarks on this forum that people must be becoming wary about posting a question, stop being so mean and dont reply if you dont have anything positive to say. I have lots of questions to which I am now looking for answers elsewhere.
Defeats the point of the forum. Sarcasm is easy but it doesnt help and there is no need to put other people down in a vain attempt to appear "clever"
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Then dumb is you. Lower Mainland BC (Vancouver and around it), Vancouver Island, much of BC's Interior and most of the west coast do not have extreme seasonal changes - summer is warm and dry, winter is wet and mild. It basically amounts to wearing wool socks with your Birkenstock and a sweater instead of not. Extreme indeed!

I stand corrected........just most of Canada is freezing cold in the winter and not all of it
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=annie3-4]
Gosh, lately there have been so many spiteful unnecessary remarks on this forum that people must be becoming wary about posting a question, stop being so mean and dont reply if you dont have anything positive to say. I have lots of questions to which I am now looking for answers elsewhere.
Defeats the point of the forum. Sarcasm is easy but it doesnt help and there is no need to put other people down in a vain attempt to appear "clever"

"Don't reply if you have nothing nice to say"???????.........they want I belive an honest answer......as I said the summers are great but the winters in "most" areas of Canada are freezing cold........I have not said ONE nasty word on this thread unless you call honesty nasty......I don't live in Canada but have been probably a dozen times......mostly in the summer but a few times in winter........I just belive deep down these people asking the question want an honest answer and I belive not giving them one is called sugarcoating
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected........just most of Canada is freezing cold in the winter and not all of it
But you get sunny skies along with the cold which is better than dull grey skies.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

My husband and I, along with our 2 year old daughter, are considering a move to Canada. We currently live in the South East of England and have an increasing urge to spread our wings a bit further afield.

My husband is a telecommunications engineer for British Telecom and my background is working within an administrative environment.

Our main worry are is whether we (particularly my husband) will be suitably qualified for similar work in Canada. In addition, we are not sure which region would be best suited for a family with a young child. We would like to live in an area where there are other families with young children. We prefer quiet suburbs or "out-of-city" areas but appreciate that this is not always practicable in terms of employment.

Any advice from anyone already in Canada who has gone through this process or in the same position as us would be much appreciated as we don't know where to start.
Can your husband not get some sort of transfer to canada? I used to work for BT and there were loads of people going off to different countries on a transfer from BT...i wasnt interested then...but my dad was a BT engineer and we were all about to emigrate to canada, when my mum changed her mind,,,sorry bit of useless information but has he tried looking to emigrate from within...so to speak
Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Simon_&_Liz is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: We're thinking of emigrating to Canada - all advice welcome.

Just a quick note to say thank you all (apart from one! ) for the great advice and tips so far. It's nice to see that there are people out there willing to share information. This is my first posting on this website and I wasn't sure if I'd recieve any responses so am grateful for all your advice. Keep it coming!
Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Simon_&_Liz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patsy
Can your husband not get some sort of transfer to canada? I used to work for BT and there were loads of people going off to different countries on a transfer from BT...i wasnt interested then...but my dad was a BT engineer and we were all about to emigrate to canada, when my mum changed her mind,,,sorry bit of useless information but has he tried looking to emigrate from within...so to speak
Thanks for this Patsy - will certainly look into it - have looked at websites for telecoms companies in Canada (as suggested by Steve of 5-0 ) but no current openings so this may be another option.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:35 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flashman
But you get sunny skies along with the cold which is better than dull grey skies.
Not in the Yukon!
Old Sep 1st 2005, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

annie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=psb182]
Originally Posted by annie3-4

"Don't reply if you have nothing nice to say"???????.........they want I belive an honest answer......as I said the summers are great but the winters in "most" areas of Canada are freezing cold........I have not said ONE nasty word on this thread unless you call honesty nasty......I don't live in Canada but have been probably a dozen times......mostly in the summer but a few times in winter........I just belive deep down these people asking the question want an honest answer and I belive not giving them one is called sugarcoating
I did not say "dont reply if youve got nothing nice to say," I said "nothing positive to say." What is positive about saying that they want to move to Carolina and call it Canada.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

My husband and I, along with our 2 year old daughter, are considering a move to Canada. We currently live in the South East of England and have an increasing urge to spread our wings a bit further afield.

My husband is a telecommunications engineer for British Telecom and my background is working within an administrative environment.

Our main worry are is whether we (particularly my husband) will be suitably qualified for similar work in Canada. In addition, we are not sure which region would be best suited for a family with a young child. We would like to live in an area where there are other families with young children. We prefer quiet suburbs or "out-of-city" areas but appreciate that this is not always practicable in terms of employment.

Any advice from anyone already in Canada who has gone through this process or in the same position as us would be much appreciated as we don't know where to start.
One issue that you need to know is the petrol costs.

Since we got here in Jan. it`s gone up from 0.79c a lit. to $1.29 a lit !!!!!!

Thats nearly 80%, yes 80%. Can you imagine the riots in the UK if petrol had gone from 80p a lit in Jan. to £1.42 a lit now????????????
Old Sep 1st 2005, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=annie3-4]
I did not say "dont reply if youve got nothing nice to say," I said "nothing positive to say." What is positive about saying that they want to move to Carolina and call it Canada.

Annie take a chill pill.......she said all advice welcome......I told her it was cold yes very cold in the winter.........should I say "most"of Canada is very cold in the winter..........but you have still not said anything about the positive part of my posts.......I said the summer is great.....btw the OP says nothing about "only positive" comments welcome and actually as of yesterday she has edited the post and missed out this important part of the ORIGINAL post

"We definitely would like to live in an area that doesn't see too much variation in weather i.e. extreme cold to extreme hot and our preference would be towards the mid-range to warmer climates."

ANNIE read THIS and understand where I am coming from.......she said "we DEFINITELY would like to live in an area that doesn't see too much variation"...thus I said North Carolina...........if someone DEFINATELY does not like it very cold then WHY even think about most of Canada?........the summers are great the people are great and the place is very clean in general but the cold will always be there in the winter
Old Sep 1st 2005, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: We're thinking of emigrating to Canada - all advice welcome.

[QUOTE=psb182]
Originally Posted by annie3-4

Annie take a chill pill.......she said all advice welcome......I told her it was cold yes very cold in the winter.........should I say "most"of Canada is very cold in the winter..........but you have still not said anything about the positive part of my posts.......I said the summer is great.....btw the OP says nothing about "only positive" comments welcome and actually as of yesterday she has edited the post and missed out this important part of the ORIGINAL post

"We definitely would like to live in an area that doesn't see too much variation in weather i.e. extreme cold to extreme hot and our preference would be towards the mid-range to warmer climates."

ANNIE read THIS and understand where I am coming from.......she said "we DEFINITELY would like to live in an area that doesn't see too much variation"...thus I said North Carolina...........if someone DEFINATELY does not like it very cold then WHY even think about most of Canada?........the summers are great the people are great and the place is very clean in general but the cold will always be there in the winter
i,m chilled. lifes too short to argue about the weather.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

A good starting point for areas to considering living might be to do a search for telecoms jobs on a web site site such as monster.com. This will give you an idea where there is currently a buoyant market for hubbies skills, although who knows what it will be like 3 years down the line if you go the skilled worker route on your own. With admin skills you should not be geographically limited.

And before I'm flamed by all, I'm not suggesting that you will fine a job through these web sites, since we all know that unless you have very specific skills that are short in supply that you are unlikley to get any reply at all from the potential employers, until you are actually in Canada.

Jobs aside, where you wish to live is probably something that you can only decide after an extensive research to trip get a flavour for the major cities. If you are a winter sports fanatic though, you will need to have a good look around the Calgary area because the Rockies and all that they have to offer are remarkably close. Calagry also has a number of outlying towns such as Cochrane that sound as though would fit the bill for you quite nicely
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 5:11 am
Cowtown

Ouch ... this was a painfull thread answering a simple question.

Coming rom the UK, most of Canada is cold and has long winters, with the exception of BC - wouldn't it be easier just to have said that.

All things are relative - people from Ontario can't believe prairie winters are so long, people from the prairies proper complain about Alberta winters with unpredictable chinooks, people from Alberta complain about long cold prairie winters, anyone who isn't from BC prefers winter snow to winter rain.

In the end, weather conditions are less important than finding a job and a home you can afford to maintain - chances are, whichever city you go to, loads of southern mediteranean, east indian, asian and african immigrants have got there before you and survived - they're all from warmer countries and they've survived everything Canada can throw at them.

Even in the deepest depths of the winter deepfreeze (excluding BC), every Canadian city has a lot more to offer than a comparitvely sized UK city.

Don't worry about the cold, just suck it up like everyone else has ... what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.