Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Well here we are again!

Well here we are again!

Old Jun 15th 2020, 12:48 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 18
londonneedshelp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Well here we are again!

Hey Guys

been a while - after 2 unsuccessful residencies in Toronto. We are ready for the 3rd ?

Why would you try again you may ask ???

The past 2 times we had to return due to my Mother in Law - sadly she passed away in this awful Covid pandemic. She was 93 years of age and passed away in her nursing home.

So 5th May 2021 is Toronto D Day and have a few questions to ask and many more to follow I am sure?

In the UK we have been self isolating as I am a diabetic and although I may have came back from NYC with a mild coronavirus - we are not sure and don’t have the tests yet for antibodies!

So here we go.

Question 1) Asda have been amazing here - we have had great deliveries from them every week in lockdown. When we last lived in Toronto - home shopping delivery was non existent - has that changed now?

Question 2) We are at an age now - that we probably won’t want a mortgage and will rent long term - just wondered if we were looking at renting a 2 Bedroom House with. Basement and 2 bathrooms and have contents to the value of $15,000 pounds - what would an average premium be per month!

Question 3 - same question about car insurance companies - both had clean licences for 10 years plus - know someone companies will not look at Uk no claims etc! We both will drive and probably look at a Honda Civic.

Question 4 - are there still social groups for mature people who emigrate. My OH is 57 and I am 51 - we have some good friends in Toronto - but still would like to meet more. I know there are groups for younger folks.

Question 5 - Cell Phones as most UK stuff is now done via WiFi (zoom, WhatsApp etc) what kinda price are we looking at for a tariff that’s offers great WiFi packages and calls within Canada. Rest of my calls I make via Skype.

Many thanks in advance

Rob

londonneedshelp is offline  
Old Jun 15th 2020, 4:49 pm
  #2  
limey party pooper
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,267
bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well here we are again!

Originally Posted by londonneedshelp View Post
Hey Guys

been a while - after 2 unsuccessful residencies in Toronto. We are ready for the 3rd ?

Why would you try again you may ask ???

The past 2 times we had to return due to my Mother in Law - sadly she passed away in this awful Covid pandemic. She was 93 years of age and passed away in her nursing home.

So 5th May 2021 is Toronto D Day and have a few questions to ask and many more to follow I am sure?

In the UK we have been self isolating as I am a diabetic and although I may have came back from NYC with a mild coronavirus - we are not sure and don’t have the tests yet for antibodies!

So here we go.

Question 1) Asda have been amazing here - we have had great deliveries from them every week in lockdown. When we last lived in Toronto - home shopping delivery was non existent - has that changed now?

Question 2) We are at an age now - that we probably won’t want a mortgage and will rent long term - just wondered if we were looking at renting a 2 Bedroom House with. Basement and 2 bathrooms and have contents to the value of $15,000 pounds - what would an average premium be per month!

Question 3 - same question about car insurance companies - both had clean licences for 10 years plus - know someone companies will not look at Uk no claims etc! We both will drive and probably look at a Honda Civic.

Question 4 - are there still social groups for mature people who emigrate. My OH is 57 and I am 51 - we have some good friends in Toronto - but still would like to meet more. I know there are groups for younger folks.

Question 5 - Cell Phones as most UK stuff is now done via WiFi (zoom, WhatsApp etc) what kinda price are we looking at for a tariff that’s offers great WiFi packages and calls within Canada. Rest of my calls I make via Skype.

Many thanks in advance

Rob
why Toronto? Are you talking downtown or GTA? What's the attraction
bats is offline  
Old Jun 15th 2020, 5:48 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 18
londonneedshelp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Well here we are again!

Originally Posted by bats View Post
why Toronto? Are you talking downtown or GTA? What's the attraction
Because all our friends are there. We have lived in The Beaches and Danforth/Woodbine and live those areas.
londonneedshelp is offline  
Old Jun 15th 2020, 6:24 pm
  #4  
On a grand tour
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Location: Somewhere dusty
Posts: 193
tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well here we are again!

Do you have Canadian citizenship or PR status?
tooboocoo is offline  
Old Jun 15th 2020, 6:28 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 18
londonneedshelp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Well here we are again!

Originally Posted by tooboocoo View Post
Do you have Canadian citizenship or PR status?
My Husband is a Canadian Citizen and I have had PR since 2008 and renewed it successfully, last time 2018 !
londonneedshelp is offline  
Old Jun 15th 2020, 6:35 pm
  #6  
On a grand tour
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Location: Somewhere dusty
Posts: 193
tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well here we are again!

Originally Posted by londonneedshelp View Post
My Husband is a Canadian Citizen and I have had PR since 2008 and renewed it successfully, last time 2018 !
That's great, it's quite relevant for others reading these threads.
tooboocoo is offline  
Old Jun 15th 2020, 7:33 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Hurlabrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: London, ON
Posts: 2,286
Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well here we are again!

Originally Posted by londonneedshelp View Post
Question 3 - same question about car insurance companies - both had clean licences for 10 years plus - know someone companies will not look at Uk no claims etc! We both will drive and probably look at a Honda Civic.
Loads of threads on this. Some (not many at all) say they will take into account proven UK NCD's as long as there is a specific letter from each insurer stating that there were no claims (No of years NCD normally not accepted as this can be insured and does not include windscreen claims etc.). Others have reported that the cost of insurance from these companies is little different from other companies that do not take UK experience into account! Postcode is far more important than the type of car. If you want a very rough budget cost, assume $2500 - $3500 pa.

Originally Posted by londonneedshelp View Post
Question 5 - Cell Phones as most UK stuff is now done via WiFi (zoom, WhatsApp etc) what kinda price are we looking at for a tariff that’s offers great WiFi packages and calls within Canada. Rest of my calls I make via Skype.
Lots of choice, but all more expensive than the UK. I personally brought our Samsung Galaxy unlocked handsets over from the UK and used a Koodoo pre-paid chip (so no handet to price into the monthlies). The base plan was $15 a month and you simply bought Canada-wide top up minutes packages and data packages as you needed them. Probably worked out at $25 a month and auto renewed on my credit card. I have since upgraded to Koodoo pre-paid, but this package is $35 pm which includes unlimited Canada-wide calling and a sensible monthly amount of data. There are loads of other suppliers all probably around the same ballpark.
Hurlabrick is offline  
Old Jun 15th 2020, 8:34 pm
  #8  
limey party pooper
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,267
bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well here we are again!

Originally Posted by londonneedshelp View Post
Because all our friends are there. We have lived in The Beaches and Danforth/Woodbine and live those areas.
What do your friends say in answer to these questions?
bats is offline  
Old Jun 15th 2020, 9:36 pm
  #9  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 32,610
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well here we are again!

Originally Posted by londonneedshelp View Post
Question 1) Asda have been amazing here - we have had great deliveries from them every week in lockdown. When we last lived in Toronto - home shopping delivery was non existent - has that changed now?
Here's a general thread on groceries but posts from April 7th include quite a lot on grocery delivery
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jun 15th 2020, 9:41 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 83
Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well here we are again!

Apart from petrol, is anything cheaper in Canada?
Revin Kevin is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2020, 1:19 am
  #11  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 12,716
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well here we are again!

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin View Post
Apart from petrol, is anything cheaper in Canada?
[crickets]
caretaker is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2020, 4:01 am
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 3,112
scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well here we are again!

scilly is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2020, 11:51 am
  #13  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 32,610
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well here we are again!

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin View Post
Apart from petrol, is anything cheaper in Canada?
My house.

My 2 bed, terraced house, small garden, on street parking went for £157,000 in 2005 when I bought my 4 bed detached property with drive and big yard for $120,000.
I see from Rightmove.UK that three identical houses in my bit, including the ones either side of me, went for £153k-£159k between 2004 and 2006 have been sold between 2018 and 2019 for £305k to £315k.

I'm certain the value of my house here (and all the others around) have not doubled.

So my house here is cheaper than the one there.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2020, 12:03 pm
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
 
Hurlabrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: London, ON
Posts: 2,286
Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well here we are again!

I would go along with houses - £ for $ on a 'like for like' basis.

I lived near Cheltenham in a 4 bed detached value £500k. Cheltenham and Gloucester with outlying suburb towns = population 350,000-odd. Two hours drive to Heathrow and 3 hours drive to Central London.

Now live in a 4 bed detached in London, ON for $500k. London ON population 400,000. Two hours drive to Toronto airport, 3 hours drive to downtown Toronto. About as similar a situation as you are likely to get in two very dis-similar countries!

Room to breathe, friendly neighbours, uncrowded roads, great facilities (ice rinks, parks, walks etc.).
Hurlabrick is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2020, 12:08 pm
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
Partially discharged's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 3,117
Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well here we are again!

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick View Post
I would go along with houses - £ for $ on a 'like for like' basis.

I lived near Cheltenham in a 4 bed detached value £500k. Cheltenham and Gloucester with outlying suburb towns = population 350,000-odd. Two hours drive to Heathrow and 3 hours drive to Central London.

Now live in a 4 bed detached in London, ON for $500k. London ON population 400,000. Two hours drive to Toronto airport, 3 hours drive to downtown Toronto. About as similar a situation as you are likely to get in two very dis-similar countries!

Room to breathe, friendly neighbours, uncrowded roads, great facilities (ice rinks, parks, walks etc.).
That's all well and good but what about the cheese selection..surely the main determinant of the vitality of a location.
Partially discharged is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.