Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Well...Do we give it another go?

Well...Do we give it another go?

Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well...Do we give it another go?

Originally Posted by gill_andy_grew
Well done you

And we will be joining you as well, just down the road

Gill
The Albertan version of Wisteria Lane eh?

Except you'll all be wearing, jeans, plaid shirts and baseball caps
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice

Ahh great news Mandi and go for it Darren. We will have to have a big meet up when we all get over there. We are still waiting for our LMO, will keep you posted.

Best wishes to you all, Carl and family
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mandy,
glad to hear everything is working out for you,as i said to you in the past it is not a one way ticket .
You have to give it a go again ,think of how you would feel in ten years stuck here in the UK wondering IF ONLY.
You wont be the first or the last to flirt back and forward until you settle on the right decision for you and your family.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

sabden tom is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Well...Do we give it another go?

Hello,

If you feel so unsettled here and you don't return you may regret it when you have to re-apply in the future. If your OH is up for it - I say go back and see if you can settle this time - at least you know what you can have in Canada and having come back here, the reality of the UK.

I say; life is what you make it so live it with no regrets.

Whatever you decide, I hope you and your family make a good decision you're all happy with

Good Luck!!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to behold
Cool Re: Well...Do we give it another go?

Once again...thanks
I feel much happier knowing we are going to give it another go, even if it doesnt happen over night.
Look forward to meeting all the newbies and catching up with all the oldies
No offence haha
I read all the posts from when we went home, and alot of you were right, that we rushed into it and that we could always give it another go etc,thats what this site is great for, you get a good mix of advice which always helps you make the right decision in the end
Speak soon
Mandi xx
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest if you return to Canada, that this time you leave your furniture in storage for approx 12 months. 15 years ago my family & I moved to Canada - with all furniture, pets & all. We returned to Uk one year later & had to ship it all back, pets & all. Was very expensive & I have no regrets. However, I am contemplating going to Canada again, but if I do this time, I will leave all in storage & take clothes only & survive on minimum for about 12 months until I decide Canada is where I want to stay.

Im just suggesting another option for you -
Old Apr 29th 2008, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

PurpleLotus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandi moo
Hi everyone, hope your all well
As you know we came home last year when my OH didnt settle. Ive never really settled back home and ive tried really hard. But all the violence and street crimes here are getting worse. No one hardly goes out at night and when you go for a drink the bars are full of 16-20 year olds looking for trouble.Theres nothing to do at weekends and the kids hang around the streets as theres no clubs or parks or anything for them anymore.
The company OH worked for want him back and we think its great that they would give us a second chance, dont get many of them in this life!!
I miss the life we had in Calgary and the friends we made. I still want to leave for the same reasons as before, to give the kids a better chance in life and to live a better life style. I cant earn here what i was earning in Calgary.
Atleast this time we know the areas and where to eat, shop, have hair cut etc.
The biggest thing is the upheavel for the kids,they miss calgary, Aaron keeps asking me when we,re going home, thinks we are on holiday here
But Chloe would have to start high school and make friends again, shes 13 this year, a more awkward age.
So we,re in 2 minds, do we stay put and get on with it or do we take the second chance and go for it?
It is hard, and we have saved some money anyway, it could be done.
Shipping the furniture again tho arrggghhh!!!! Was a mare the last time, anyone want to share a container haha?
Let me know what you think, im sure you all will , im relying on it.
Speak soon ( Get the barbi ready Morwenna )
Mandi xxxx
Oh Mandi, just read your post... what a dilemma eh.
All i can say is that you need to follow your heart... but allow your head a little say too... the main thing is for everyone to agree on where they want to live, Canada or the UK. Once thats sorted, so are you! From my viewpoint, personally, each time i speak to family and friends back home, theyre all saying the same thing - 'you did the right thing, its not getting any better here' etc... we're very settled, happy, comfortable etc though, so its easy for me to say that. And we dont have kids - which has to make it a LOT more difficult! We do have friends in Calgary though with three young girls, and all they miss from England? Galaxy chocolate! lol Anyway, i sincerley wish you all the very best, and hope you make the right decision for you and your family xxx
My personal opinion... they will have to drag me back to England to live - kicking and screaming! Hope it goes well for you xx
Purps :-)
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

mandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Well...Do we give it another go?

Thank you.
I have thought of leaving the furniture, as you said, its the most expensive part of moving.
Some of the companies we have looked at for Darren are offering relocation costs which is a big bonus for us.
I was going to just take what we need to survive and try and get a furnished home.
Or...like i said...i might go half with someone on a container, had a few offers( thanks!!)
Kids are all excited, just got to make sure Darren is happy with what job he goes for and that we get help with the red seal exam etc this time, thats the only thing that worries him, even though i know he,ll be fine with the right training.
Waiting for a reply from a few companies that are interested in him before he decides which one to go with, see who comes up with the best deal
Its going to take a few months either way, just hope i catch the back end of the summer, i havent experienced a winter in Calgary yet
Mandi xx