Reload this Page >

Web Jobs - Calgary

Web Jobs - Calgary

Old Apr 21st 2014, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

pauloneal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Web Jobs - Calgary

Hi there,

A long shot, but does anyone know of any companies in Calgary that need a Web Manager /Front end developer?

I am trying to find sponsorship so i can move to Canada but every job I have applied for, i am not getting any response.

I am aware that it is a competitive market but i am starting to get a little concerned as i am good at my job and have a strong portfolio.

If anyone has any ideas i am all ears...

Thanks
Old Apr 21st 2014, 10:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Web Jobs - Calgary

How have you applied for jobs? How many times have you been over there and/or phoned people to speak to them directly?
Old Apr 21st 2014, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

pauloneal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
How have you applied for jobs? How many times have you been over there and/or phoned people to speak to them directly?
I have been over there once. My brother lives over there and has for 4 years. I have not phoned anyone yet. Should I? Do I need too?
Old Apr 21st 2014, 10:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you probably do, as I said on your other thread applying for jobs remotely is unlikely to result in anything. Have you not read all of the Job Hunting articles in the Wiki?!

Look at it from a Canadian employers point of view: they get your resume, with UK qualifications etc on, and probably know you're in the UK. So do they bother even interviewing you, given you have no Canadian experience, can't start for months and will cost them money and a lot of time to do so, or do they just hire a Canadian for free who can start tomorrow?

To give yourself the best chance, you need to do things the Canadian way. At the very least, pick up the phone, ideally plan a 2 week job hunting trip. The Job Hunting section of the Wiki is essential reading.

Does your brother have any contacts that could help? The good old Canadian 'who you know' and all that?

Good luck.