weather-wise

Old Jul 16th 2003, 2:52 am
Just Joined

shineren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default weather-wise

I'm not British but anybody there who can give advice about the best place to settle in Ontario weather-wise? I come from a tropical country in Asia. Thanks.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends on what kind of weather you like!

However, the further south you go - the better the weather. They make wine in the Niagara Peninsula - and so I would guess if you are looking for warm weather - that is where you should go.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 5:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. What about Toronto? How's winter there? Is it like Calgary where you get 8 months of snow?
Old Jul 17th 2003, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

MCannon is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously you have never lived in Calgary.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Yup! Any subtext in your reply, MCannon?
Old Jul 18th 2003, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

MCannon is an unknown quantity at this point

Calgary does not get a lot of hot weather, but the summer's are usually quite nice -- any given year you can count on snow for approx. 3 months, but I have known winters where there is virtually 0 snow (and some where it does stay a bit longer).
Calgary is well known for it's chinooks where the temperature in the winter can rise 20 degrees in a matter of hours.

Not even close to 8 months of snow (winter).

I have lived in Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, and London (UK) and if if I was to rank the weather (just my personal opinion):
1. Toronto -- generally nice hot long summers / winters can be a bit unpredictable but usually not too bad in terms of snow/cold.
2. Vancouver -- the winters are very wet however very little snow -- spring/summer/fall are very nice -- warm/hot
3. Calgary -- as above
4. Winnipeg -- hot summers (if you like them) but the winters are very cold
5. London -- again, my personal opinion -- quite wet throughout the year and while it does have some warm/hot spells they are quite rare.

This is only the weather I am referring to, not other aspects of life.
Old Jul 19th 2003, 2:05 am
Just Joined

I appreciate your very informative reply, Mcannon. Nice hot long summers are not a problem with me. I've been experiencing those summers which at times can be very oppressive. Though I suppose the summers you're talking about have temperatures lower than what we get in the tropics.

What exactly do you mean with "winters can be a bit unpredictable" in Toronto? What can I expect? What about rains?

Thanks again Mcannon.
Old Jul 19th 2003, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I have never lived in Calgary, but I think its rather like Regina.

We probably get snow some time in November most years. The snow usually goes some time in March, so we don't get 8 months of snow. I assume that was a joke about the 8 months of snow.

Some years we don't get snow until January although it can be cold but no snow.
Old Jul 19th 2003, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

well last winter was one of the coldest in a few years in Toronto, it seemed to average around -20C and we had alot of snow and ice storms.

This summer hasn't been that hot so far, but the last couple of summers have seen temps up to 40C.

Basically Toronto has extremes of weather, cold in the winter, hot in the summer. However the further south you go the warmer the climate and the further north it'll be colder and you'll hit the snow belt.

Int.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

louisa is an unknown quantity at this point

i live in calgary and it started snowing in october. it snowed probably once a week, sometimes would go a few weeks without a heavy snowfall. and we had a couple of those in may (no fun, the snow is heavier in may, believe it or not).

summer is great here though, usually june, july and august are hot, cooling down in september. it's currently 33 C here today.

i hate the cold but can just about manage the winters here, except that one weekend when it was minus 40 C. that is the coldest i have ever experienced and thank heavens it only lasted a couple of days. the chinooks are great (although they give some people migraines!) can make all the difference between minus 12 and plus 2 in a day. you will adapt to the weather!

most people who don't like the cold seem to end up in vancouver, where it is warmer but they have more rain.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 2:37 am
Just Joined

thanks for sharing your weather experiences. Seems like toronto weather is more moderate than calgary weather. calgary's seems more extreme. am i right?
Old Jul 24th 2003, 2:45 am
Just Joined

though some say toronto's temperature goes too high or low, it doesn't usually go as low as calgary's. though vancouver's is milder, rains for me are a damper. my friend in toronto says they get sun even in winter. am i right?
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am not a weather expert but I remember hearing somewhere that if you live in the middle of a continent like Calgary or Regina or in the middle of Russia - that is when you get the extremes of temperature from summer to winter.

I have to admit that I hate the winter for things like - the roads are slippery and you are more likely to have a car accident; you have to put your coat and boots on to take the dog out for a pee; when you go to the store you are boiling hot becuase you are dressed for outside etc. etc., - everything takes longer becuase you have to take 10 minutes to stack clothing on for outside!

However, I also have to admit that we get lots of sunshine in the winter and so long us you are wrapped up warm it can be really nice outside.

Now that everyone has cell phones it probably is not nearly so dangerous to go driving out in the country as it used to be - just keep your phone battery charged up well!!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

louisa is an unknown quantity at this point

i think with calgary being so close to the rockies the weather has its own micro-climate so the weather is very changeable.

we get a lot of sun and blue skies in winter here too.
Old Jul 26th 2003, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by louisa
i live in calgary and it started snowing in october. it snowed probably once a week, sometimes would go a few weeks without a heavy snowfall. and we had a couple of those in may (no fun, the snow is heavier in may, believe it or not).

summer is great here though, usually june, july and august are hot, cooling down in september. it's currently 33 C here today.

i hate the cold but can just about manage the winters here, except that one weekend when it was minus 40 C. that is the coldest i have ever experienced and thank heavens it only lasted a couple of days. the chinooks are great (although they give some people migraines!) can make all the difference between minus 12 and plus 2 in a day. you will adapt to the weather!

most people who don't like the cold seem to end up in vancouver, where it is warmer but they have more rain.

I live in the Okanagan best weather in Canada, Job Market well that depends on what you do for a living.............