Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A weather question.

A weather question.

Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:58 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A weather question.

Originally Posted by Greenhill
I've tried to adopt a "do as the Nova Scotian's do" attitude but so far failed miserably. Throughout winter I'm used to seeing the natives driving around in beat-up rear-wheel drive cars with 3 bald tyres and get by without complaint, many of them wearing open-necked shirts and shorts (when it's -5 out). They all speed-slide by me on the inside lane of the highway, where the snow is still deep, obviously in a hurry to get to the outside BBQ party to drink cold beer. I've tried to acclimatise by dressing inadequately, I've considered getting by with inadequate transport but it's just not for me...

The locals seem to have a supreme hardiness that makes all others look like "whining cry-babies". I wonder if it's all that rum they drink?

Seriously though, I've been here a few years now and am pretty used it all, I don't really worry about the conditions much these days, just get on with it. But that doesn't stop winter feeling long and April is always disappointing.
Before I was able to decamp from N S to Arizona for the winter I used my trusty garden tractor with a 48" blower. It worked a treat. My driveway there is long and wide. It's brick so very easy to keep clean. My house sitter looks forward to being able to play with it so it's sitting there in the garage all ready to go. In true N S tradition she'll be wearing a tee shirt and shorts !! It could be the rum, maybe.
Attached Thumbnails A weather question.-snow1.jpg  
Old Nov 9th 2008, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Our drive is pretty much open with lots of fields around it so neighbour advised us to get snow fence 50ft plastic security cost $30 and took hubby about an hour to put it up. Neighbour also has a tractor and will plough drive if it gets bad, keeping him and his wife stocked up on home made fruit loaf and cakes
Attached Thumbnails A weather question.-snow-fence.jpg  
Old Nov 9th 2008, 4:12 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Before I was able to decamp from N S to Arizona for the winter I used my trusty garden tractor with a 48" blower. It worked a treat. My driveway there is long and wide. It's brick so very easy to keep clean. My house sitter looks forward to being able to play with it so it's sitting there in the garage all ready to go. In true N S tradition she'll be wearing a tee shirt and shorts !! It could be the rum, maybe.

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Our drive is pretty much open with lots of fields around it so neighbour advised us to get snow fence 50ft plastic security cost $30 and took hubby about an hour to put it up. Neighbour also has a tractor and will plough drive if it gets bad, keeping him and his wife stocked up on home made fruit loaf and cakes
Not a bad return for ploughing your drive Thanks for posting the pic
Old Nov 9th 2008, 4:18 pm
Banned

livinginsask is an unknown quantity at this point

we get down to -40/50 with the windchill here in sask usually lots of snow but its not the wet horrible stuff,still need a snowblower though and this to get about
Attached Thumbnails A weather question.-king-hill.jpg  
Old Nov 9th 2008, 8:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's the length that's maybe the worst thing.

The cold...you'll get used to. Dress warmly and usually you'll think it's a doddle unless you are out in it for a while. You probably won't be.

The snow? Shovels are well designed and you can often simply push the stuff out of the way. If it's deep you can sort of lift off the top layer and then push.

We've had three winters and on all but one occasion we have coped with shovels, me and some help from the kids. We paid $46 to have the driveway cleared (by tractor/snowblower) after we had three huge snowfalls (each bigger than anything before) one after the other in about a week. The build up was too much for us. The snowbanks were shoulder deep and there was really nowhere left for us to move the snow and you can only lift so much up onto such high snowbanks.

The street plows annoyingly leave a ridge across the fromt of the drive. Leave it there too long and it's harder to shift as it's more ice than snow. Apparently some plows are designed to avoid doing that.

Surpisingly, icy roads and paths seem less of a problem than in the UK. But there are exceptions.

Road clearance is excellent (aside from that bloody ridge) and I ride my bicycle throught winter.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

6 limes has a spectacular aura about6 limes has a spectacular aura about6 limes has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your replies but one more thing. My hubby is a carpenter and he would like to know what effect the weather has on working outdoors. Does everyone just get on with, Im assuming they cant take 4 months off???
Old Nov 9th 2008, 9:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

A house up the road from us was built over the winter months The wooden parts were going up when it was 20 below.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:30 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

We are advised that in alberta that builders are still owrking during the winter months, sue to the warm winds etc

Got to a high of 17 today, no jackets and kids outside loving the sun
I have been advised that sometimes it can get real cold, but doesnt last long

We are around 2/3 hrs outside calgary
Old Nov 10th 2008, 4:01 am
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

When you say Canadian winter you are thinking 10 feet of snow, snowed in for weeks at a time that kind of thing, well so we thought.

But to be honest in the area that we live (GTA), really didn’t live up to these expectations, yes we had to shovel snow every time it snowed, great exercise and fun playing snow balls with the kids, great way of saying hi to your neighbours depending on what type of street you live on, In fact can’t wait for it again. Would we leave because of the snow.. Hell NO

I know it’s sad, but snow I just love it. So do the kids and hubby, in fact let it snow let it snow…..LOL
Old Nov 10th 2008, 4:40 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sutherlands
When you say Canadian winter you are thinking 10 feet of snow, snowed in for weeks at a time that kind of thing, well so we thought.

But to be honest in the area that we live (GTA), really didn’t live up to these expectations, yes we had to shovel snow every time it snowed, great exercise and fun playing snow balls with the kids, great way of saying hi to your neighbours depending on what type of street you live on, In fact can’t wait for it again. Would we leave because of the snow.. Hell NO

I know it’s sad, but snow I just love it. So do the kids and hubby, in fact let it snow let it snow…..LOL
YEAH.....im with you on the snow
When it snowed last week, we played snowball fights all the way to school and then on the way home...haha
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

bluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by 6 limes
Thanks for your replies but one more thing. My hubby is a carpenter and he would like to know what effect the weather has on working outdoors. Does everyone just get on with, Im assuming they cant take 4 months off???

My OH is a carpenter too and it seems that some of the construction firms that he approached for a job turn to snow ploughing in the winter!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:25 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
It all depends on the house. In the suburbs houses often have the garage on the front so as to reduce the amount of driveway; good for snow removal even if godawfully ugly. A shovel is sufficient for such a house.
The attached garage is useful. I get can halfway to the street before going outside. Despite that, a shovel doesn't really suffice in these parts.

Last edited by Souvenir; Nov 10th 2008 at 12:55 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 12:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
The attached garage is useful. I can halfway to the street before going outside. Despite that, a shovel doesn't really suffice in these parts.
Nor around here. First proper snow of the year overnight, I suppose I'll be tractoring this evening.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 1:05 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Nor around here. First proper snow of the year overnight, I suppose I'll be tractoring this evening.
Are you expecting that much? We're only looking at a cm or so, mixed with rain. The forecast for about a week hence isn't pretty, though.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 4:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Are you expecting that much? We're only looking at a cm or so, mixed with rain. The forecast for about a week hence isn't pretty, though.
There was a half inch or so on the ground this morning and it's been falling on and off since so, yes, I think there will be enough to need moving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.