Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Weather In Canada/points

Weather In Canada/points

Old Nov 11th 2003, 2:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather In Canada/points

It could snow anyday now, but usually starts for real mid/ late December, and continues on and off till March/ April, although last year we had a 6 inch dump with freezing rain on top in Early May.

Did anyone mention freezing rain yet? Much nastier than snow, in that you can't shovel it, and it is wickedly treacherous! No British equivalent that I am aware of. Sort of like black ice from the sky. Your whole car can be coated in a half inch of ice

In this part of Ontario, typically you can count on shovelling on average two or three times a week, but if the wind gets up, I have shovelled 4 times in one day! If you dont like it you can always buy a snow blower to do the work for you (~$1000+), but I need the exercise in the winter<G>.

One of the feelgood aspects to life here is that people are happy to take care of shovelling for elderly neigbours etc, which adds to the feeling of being part of a community that seems to be disappearing in the UK.

Dont worry, when you first come over you will probably rent an apartment, and some other poor guy will be clearing the snow for you most of the time.

Anyway, its all part of lifes rich tapestry, so dont let it put you off.

Iain

Originally posted by bobkhag5
Hello All

This is a very interesting subject and something that was concerning me about my move to Toronto Etobicoke.

Can anyone tell me when to expect snow in this region? (i.e. Nov to Feb?)

Also how many days would I be expected to shovel snow??

I appreciate your help.

Bob
Old Nov 11th 2003, 4:59 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Try this URL to check out the weather stats for all the major cities in Canada

http://www.on.ec.gc.ca/weather/winners/intro-e.html

Clare
Old Nov 11th 2003, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

How does not travelling work out with employers? We are likely to live in a rural area with a commute to Edmonton along HW16. Do people stay home from work until the roads have had a chance to be cleared or, as in the UK, you get in somehow? The reverse of course is that it snows whilst at work and it is not fit to drive home in - does everyone crash out in the office until it clears up?

Hehe, if you worked for the woman I'm working for at the moment she would sack you!
You have to just allow more time.

Your highways will be fine, we live off highway 14 and its been OK so far, I would not drive a car, the 4x4 makes a BIG difference on the back roads and anyway have you seen the mess of the cars when they get hit here?, you are much safer in trucks folks!

Everyone enjoying their holiday today!
Old Nov 11th 2003, 7:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy

When I first came over I went the 4x4 route, I was worried about the snow and the sheer size of vehicles here. After a few years I realised most of the time I was not using 4x4, and in "in between" conditions I never knew if I should risk damaging the transmission by running 4x4 when the wheels might not slip.

In the end I changed to an AWD car, which has turned out to be quicker to steer out of trouble, more comfortable on long trips and a lot easier at the gas pump (something I didnt care about when I first arrived, as gas seemed to cost next to nothing compared to the UK).

Since then I have noticed most of, if not all the canadians I know drive regular front wheel drive, but all the brits drive AWD / 4x4!

My (canadian) wifes' attitude is that if conditions are bad enough that you need AWD /4x4 to get going, you should probably not be making the trip anyway. Needless to say her car is FWD, and she does just fine in the winter!

I agree AWD is nice to have, but its doesnt make you invincible, as it will not help you stop any faster, so you are just going faster when you hit.<G>

Just make sure you have decent tires, and if you still go for 4x4 think about getting an "intellegent" system that adjusts to road conditions so you get max benefit from it. Trucks definitely have more ground clearance, but unless you are going to live well off the beaten track or drive a Mazda Miata (MX5) it will probably never be an issue.

On the down side trucks undoubtably do more damage to what they hit, and due to a higher center of gravity are harder to manouver out of trouble, and are more likely to roll over when they do get in trouble. Probably not the place to discuss this though!

Iain
Old Nov 12th 2003, 6:55 am
Just Joined

HEL1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by fried_emu
In Canada it has been my experience that people/bosses/radio stations watch the winter weather closely. I lived and worked in Ontario for 10 years and not once did I get stuck at work. Most employers will send you home early. Nobody wants to be stuck in a blizzard! While I lived in Edmonton (Toefield) we had more snow days that I ever had in Toronto. Canadians seem to have a knack for predicting weather and tend to respect it (bosses as well)

I hope this helps,
Fried

Is a snow day like a sick day? Do employers deduct pay or is there some kind of allowance? It's good to know people have respect for the weather. It once took me 3 hours to drive 10 miles from one town to another in a UK snow storm (a couple of inches) to get home. Absolute chaos!

Many thanks

Hel.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 10:08 am
Banned

fried_emu is an unknown quantity at this point

The weather can be very beautiful in the winter. As a child in rural Alberta sometimes we would get 6-10 foot snow drifts. It was better than a pile of leaves!!

We would build forts, make play houses, all kinds of games were made up by us kids. I can remember at recess in a primary grade, we made sort of train tracks in the snow and played tag or Tig, but we could only stay on the snow tracks (maze like) that we had made. We would find the biggest hills we could. As we got older we would wax the bottom of our sleds for MAX speed.

I am taking my kids back to Canada for 3 weeks at xmas - I hope the weather doesn't let us down!

Here are some winter pics from me and some from a friend of mine
Attached Thumbnails Weather In Canada/points-snow03.jpg  
Old Nov 12th 2003, 10:09 am
Banned

fried_emu is an unknown quantity at this point

here is the other
Attached Thumbnails Weather In Canada/points-snow01.jpg  
Old Nov 12th 2003, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

stantoncraig is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

When to expect snow... Any time between November and Early April. Recently in the southern parts of the Toronto area, including Etobicoke, snow hasn't fallen until around Christmas. Then you will not see the green grass until the spring. Don't expect many days above -5 deg Celcius in that time period, or many below -25.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

havey is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get weather statistics including current conditions, as well as other statistical information, by CLICKING ON one of the big buttons on the home page then by CLICKING ON the province's name at this website
http://www.tcirc.ca

Last edited by havey; Nov 13th 2003 at 3:33 am.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 10:31 pm
Keelie

How cold is it here? Well it's certainly cold outside in the winter months, but consider this...your car will be heated, your shopping centres will be warm, the restaurants, movie theatres... all warm.
Your house will be cosy and as warm as you can stand, your place of employment will be comfortable.
The only time you'll actually feel cold is if you are careless enough to venture outdoors without the requisite winter clothing.

By comparison ...we spent the month of August in Australia this year, and I can say without exagerration I've never been so cold and miserable in my life...not even in the U.K.
My sons' rented house in Queensland had no fireplace, poor insulation, and no central heating...we were not happy campers.
The first items we bought were an electric blanket and a down-filled quilt.

The restaurants had no heat...and at one seaside motel where we stayed for the week-end we were handed extra blankets when we complained about the freezing room. We stood in the shower to thaw out!
In Canada this motel would have been shut down, and the proprietor levied a heavy fine.
So yes, the temperature is low, but dosen't mean you'll be low too

Old Nov 13th 2003, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

The winter is easy to handle. Just needs the right approach. Check http://www.thefunnypage.com/snow/ for the answer
Old Nov 13th 2003, 2:47 am
Keelie

Originally posted by flashman
The winter is easy to handle. Just needs the right approach. Check http://www.thefunnypage.com/snow/ for the answer

That does it...to hell with it, I'm going to Mexico for the winter..have a nice Christmas.

Old Nov 14th 2003, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Originally posted by flashman
Really funny - sent it to my hubby and it cheered up his day! Maybe we could have some more stories on here of people's first Winter - was it fun or a disaster? Did you too go through a honeymoon stage and then end up hating it? And just how cold can fingers go before they break off??