Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

We now own a little piece of Canada

We now own a little piece of Canada

Old Nov 24th 2006, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Talking We now own a little piece of Canada

Hi all

The house buying trip has been excellent and less than 5 days after arriving at the airport as a visitor, we own a Canadian property.

We didn't really get the "bargain" that we hoped for but we do have a fantastic house in the neighbourhood that we wanted.

Thanks to all those that gave us pointers.

The Canadian conveyancing process puts the English one to shame - I can't believe how quickly it all happens. :scared:

Hopefully we will land in the New Year and start paying for it
Old Nov 24th 2006, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We now own a little piece of Canada

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
Hi all

The house buying trip has been excellent and less than 5 days after arriving at the airport as a visitor, we own a Canadian property.

We didn't really get the "bargain" that we hoped for but we do have a fantastic house in the neighbourhood that we wanted.

The Canadian conveyancing process puts the English one to shame - I can't believe how quickly it all happens. :scared:

Wow, you certainly didn't hang around. Good for you.

Hopefully we will be doing it all soon once we can sell this damn house.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 10:49 am
Property Owner

welshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nice

Hi all

I hope it works that way for us, we've put an offer in on our dream house and are waiting for news

to steady the nerves
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:08 am
AOR 16th August 2004

tirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant future

Hi all

Well done, glad to hear it for when we start the process. Can you tell me which areas in the south you favoured and any that you didn't? Hope it all goes well in the new year for you all.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

swoopdutch is a jewel in the roughswoopdutch is a jewel in the roughswoopdutch is a jewel in the roughswoopdutch is a jewel in the roughswoopdutch is a jewel in the rough

Hi all

Hi DtLE

Well done, no messing about eh!

Where abouts did you decide to settle?

We can't wait to get out there next year.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Wow, you certainly didn't hang around. Good for you.

Hopefully we will be doing it all soon once we can sell this damn house.
Thanks - here's hoping you sell your house soon
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by welshchem
I hope it works that way for us, we've put an offer in on our dream house and are waiting for news

to steady the nerves
Best of luck - when it happens it happens so fast it's quite unnerving

Hope your offer is accepted
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tirrellz
Well done, glad to hear it for when we start the process. Can you tell me which areas in the south you favoured and any that you didn't? Hope it all goes well in the new year for you all.
I will be working downtown and we wanted to try and limit ourselves to one car until the insurance premiums lower a bit. Because of this we needed good C-Train access.

We really like Somerset, Bridlewood etc and they are building a new development south of Somerset (the other side of the 22X) that looks like it will be awesome once the area has had time to mature. They have really landscaped it with streams and bridges over the streams. It is called Silverado. Don't know how much houses will be as we could not wait for a new house to be built. You may want to check it out.

We really like the feel of the SW (the further south the better) but appreciate that different people will like different things.

Hope you find what you are after
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:35 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

So where's the new house? My lad's girlfriend lives in Bridlewood ...... can they BE any further apart and still live in the same city??? sigh.

ps I'm nosy, what's the new house like ..... does the missus know??
Might we see you before you go back? (not sure when though ... next few days are a bit hectic!! )
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Investor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud of

Hi all

Congratulations! Hope you will be very happy in your new home. Did your purchase include any appliances?
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by swoopdutch
Hi DtLE

Well done, no messing about eh!

Where abouts did you decide to settle?

We can't wait to get out there next year.
See my above posting

I spent the first day sorting out the financial situation so I was already pre-approved and knew how much we had to spend.

Next day it was viewing houses - our realtor gave us access to real time MLS so that from the UK we were able to see what houses we liked. Gave the realtor the list (about 15 houses) the day I landed and she arranged the viewings for the second day I was there.

Viewed the houses - took instructions from the wife that night. The next day put an offer in on what we thought was our No 1 choice and, as it worked out, were glad when they counter offered at a ridiculously high price.

Went away, regrouped, put offer in on second favourite the next day, spent the day receiving and making further counter offers until we agreed everything - walking around now with a permanent grin on my face.

We take possession on the 15 January 2007 so it's now time to go back to the UK, celebrate big time with the family , get Christmas and the New Year out of the way, tie things up in the UK and begin our new life in Calgary

Here's hoping it all goes well for you

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Nov 24th 2006 at 1:44 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Morwenna
So where's the new house? My lad's girlfriend lives in Bridlewood ...... can they BE any further apart and still live in the same city??? sigh.

ps I'm nosy, what's the new house like ..... does the missus know??
Might we see you before you go back? (not sure when though ... next few days are a bit hectic!! )
Mrs DTLE loves it (online anyway) it is that fantastic though I cannot imagine for one minute she will not love it the minute she walks in the door.

It has a fully developed basement which has been developed exactly (and I mean exactly) the way we would have do so ourselves so major brownie points there.

I'm sure we can arrange a meet together with Mr Morwenna - will contact you at some point as Mr Morwenna may be able to assist me with a present

Speak to you soon

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Nov 24th 2006 at 1:52 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Investor
Congratulations! Hope you will be very happy in your new home. Did your purchase include any appliances?
Thanks

Yes it did - the usual, fridge, cooker, dishwasher, satellite dish etc. No washer/dryer though which isn't too bad as we wanted to buy these new anyway

We are so chuffed I feel reallly stupid
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:47 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

It's in Somerset - exactly what we wanted

Mrs DTLE loves it (online anyway) it is that fantastic though I cannot imagine for one minute she will not love it the minute she walks in the door.

It has a fully developed basement which has been developed exactly (and I mean exactly) the way we would have do so ourselves so major brownie points there.

I'm sure we can arrange a meet together with Mr Morwenna - will contact you at some point as Mr Morwenna may be able to assist me with a present

Speak to you soon
I'm sure he might!..... he will be at home this pm if you want to give him a call. .... (I gave you my # didn't I?) I know they have a staff discount day coming up, so maybe he can get something for you???? I shall be out this evening, but maybe Sat night??? We have a ski trip planned for Sunday, then arghhhh Monday comes around again!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Wow how exciting its certainly going to be a great start to the new year for you and your family many congratulations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.