Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

'We are not employing non-Canadians due to current economic situation'!

'We are not employing non-Canadians due to current economic situation'!

Old Mar 14th 2009, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

DearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really nice
Default 'We are not employing non-Canadians due to current economic situation'!

Oh Dear!!

My partner and I are currently in BC on a Bunac. We have been here for nearly four months and have been working in our jobs from day one. I was offered a Retail Manager job which I accepted as we could then apply for residency via BC PNP. I told the company about the BC PNP. Luckily I didn't leave my present job 'Trainee Retail Manager' until they got back to me about the BC PNP. Well, their lawyers phoned me today and told me they weren't hiring non-Canadians due to the current economic climate'. Arrrgghhh!!

Luckily, I have completely proved myself to the company I am with and they are willing to help me with the BC PNP as they see me as the future manager of the store. But this has now made me worried about the BC PNP application as I know retail is a dodgy area at the moment. This company could well back out too!

So I guess I am looking for a plan B!

The boyf is not a skilled worker, nor is his occupation in any of the occupations on the BC PNP semi-skilled route. His employer has offered him a permanent contract (so has mine) so I am researching the Arranged Employment Opinion at the moment. If you can shed any light on doing this from within Canada it would be appreciated.

I know his employer would be willing to apply for an LMO so he can go on a TWP, but I'm not sure his wage would satisfy the average wage for his job as he earns a lot from commission. He is a water service technician and with no real skills, I can't see how we can argue that a Canadian couldn't do his job! I'm afraid the LMO would be refused. Same with my job too.

Oh dear!

I am sat here gazing over the Okanagan lake from my beautiful suite after spending a day up the mountain. I really don't want to give this up! Any ideas or advice please?

Thanks in advance xxxxx
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all
Default Re: 'We are not employing non-Canadians due to current economic situation'!

so the company where you applied for the position 'Retail Manager' had their lawyer call you and say they are not hiring non-canadians?
isn't that discriminatory?
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:14 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'We are not employing non-Canadians due to current economic situation'!

Originally Posted by ScottDrummer
so the company where you applied for the position 'Retail Manager' had their lawyer call you and say they are not hiring non-canadians?
isn't that discriminatory?
unfortunately not.

to get an LMO the company has to show there are no Canadians or PRs suitable. The pecking order is Canadian citizens, PR, WP, everyone else. More or less. Some would say quite rightly so. I couldnt possibly comment other than to say its unfortunate that it catches some folks out.

there are discrimination laws in Canada but they vary by province. What laws there are concern "visible minorities" and thats more or less it. Even then I am guessing the "visible minority" would have to have PR at a minimum.

unfortunately until you have PR you (and people like you - ie me) are at a disadvantage.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all

im not sure why you think Canadian Citizens would be favored over PR's when applying for jobs. If you faked an accent what difference would there be? PR's should have all the same rights shouldn't they? (technically)
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

So many PR's and citizens out of work now it would be hard to prove to HRSDC there are no Canadians or PR's available to fill the position unless its really skilled.

I would assume here the company has decided its not likely to be approved and don't want to spend the time or money on the process.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottDrummer
im not sure why you think Canadian Citizens would be favored over PR's when applying for jobs. If you faked an accent what difference would there be? PR's should have all the same rights shouldn't they? (technically)
The only jobs where this really comes into play is with the federal government.

They hire based on the following priority for qualified applicants.

PR's can apply but wont be hired or considered in the majority of cases.

However, if there are sufficient qualified applicants who are Canadian citizens, the selection will be confined to these applicants.

Preference for appointments will be given in the following order:

1. A person in receipt of a pension by reason of war service
2. Veteran or a survivor of a veteran
3. Canadian citizen
4. Persons not belonging to the previous groups.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

DearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really nice

Hey,

Well, they actually head-hunted me (as have four retail companies in the mall) and offered me the job which they had been advertising for over 2 months as they'd not been able to find any suitable Canadian applicants. They withdrew the offer when they looked into BC PNP.

I wasn't aware it would've cost them anything as I would have paid all the fees.

I am already established in BC and while I feel bad about 'poaching' jobs from Canadians I am damn good at what I do and have the experience and university qualifications to back it up. Yes, we have a worsening economic climate here and retail sales are bad but I can't help but feel I would've made a difference. I took on a shop in NZ, which was about to be closed any day and after one year of my managing it, they'd made enough profit to open one more shop and I can't tell you how much profit I'd made them by the end of the two years. No, I wasn't a NZ citizen.

Oh well, that's the way things go. It sounds like I'm grumbling, but at least the company I am with now have seen my potential and want to help me with the process.

What will be, will be!
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

PS As I was appying through BC PNP, no LMO was needed.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:05 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Preference for appointments will be given in the following order:

1. A person in receipt of a pension by reason of war service
2. Veteran or a survivor of a veteran
3. Canadian citizen
4. Next doors Dog
5. Persons not belonging to the previous groups.
Slight Correction.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

shanico2501 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Ally

I can understand and confimr what you are saying. My husnabd and I have been looking for jobs and have called several employers who echo what you have been told that :
[QUOTE=DearAlly;7377466]Oh Dear!!

told me they weren't hiring non-Canadians due to the current economic climate'. Arrrgghhh!!

They are telling us that at the moment their priority is towards canadian citizens or in some cases US citizens. My husband is a tradesman(drywall installer) and is finding it a bit difficult but we are hanging in there. When you are trying to find employment from the other side of te world it is always difficult added to that difficulty is a global recession. But luckily for you , your employers are willing to sponsor you so good luck to you.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shanico2501
They are telling us that at the moment their priority is towards canadian citizens or in some cases US citizens.
US citizens don't have free rights to work in Canada, barring some work permit options under the NAFTA arrangements.

Canadian permanent residents do have such rights and if a Canadian employer uses this as a basis to discriminate they may have a case to answer.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:40 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
if a Canadian employer uses this as a basis to discriminate they may have a case to answer.
It cannot be discrimination if someone does not have the legal right to work in Canada. Many ads state that applicant must have the legal right to work in Canada and others also state that they must be fluent in English (or in some cases French).
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
It cannot be discrimination if someone does not have the legal right to work in Canada. Many ads state that applicant must have the legal right to work in Canada and others also state that they must be fluent in English (or in some cases French).
Is there a class of PR that doesn't have the right to work? That'd be an own goal for the creator of the class.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

I hate to say it, but I do sympathise with a policy that supports local workers (citizens and Permanent Residents) in preference to people who are only just applying for a visa. That's the whole point of the LMO system.

Of course, that doesn't help OP, and I really really do hope that you find work and get your visa asap.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

A bit off topic, but kind of related. I saw in the paper today (UK) that they are having protests in Poland to complain about cheap labour coming in from other Eastern European countries and taking all the skilled labourer jobs by undercutting local tradesmen.

"Polish jobs for Polish workers".

Oh, the irony........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.