We made it

Old Apr 1st 2009, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute
Smile We made it

Well after a shaky start, two flights and one long day we have landed in Nova Scotia. Grumpy BA check in staff was moaning because one case was 0.6 of a kilo over weight,then at Heathrow they put our luggage on the wrong belt. After asking at the counter we were told that it was due in 5 mins by a clerk who barely looked up from her magazine. 15 mins later they realised their mistake. Next we had a mad dash across the airport from terminal 5 to 3, getting held up by muppets who ignore all the signs and try to get through customs(several times) without removing anything.
AirCanada were excellent and got us boarded quickly only to be held up from being pushed off the gate, then waiting inline to taxi onto runway - captain told us that they had built in waiting time onto the flight time so we landed just gone 15.00 local time. Smooth flight, nice plane.
Customs and immigration went well despite the long queue, we were asked how much money we had, plus they liked that we had done the goods to follow/accompany on a spreadsheet and done them a copy as well. After stamping and signing we got the "welcome to Canada". Picked up the hire car - GMC Arcadia, they even knocked $300 off the price which will probably end up in the fuel tank. If you can imagine what would happen if knight rider got it together with a hummer and made a concept vehicle thats what it looks like.
We're staying at the Holiday inn on Kearny Lake drive, its ok with a timmies & a booze shop next door. We've opened bank accounts with TD Canada who have waived the charges until Aug - result, get SIN tomorrow and view a house we're looking to buy.
Right now i'm having a beer or two in the hope that i don't wake up at 04:30.

oh and O2 PAYG do work over here if the phone is unlocked, just make sure you set up topping the credit up before you leave the UK.

will keep you posted

Stuart
Old Apr 1st 2009, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We made it

Welcome to the dark side!

Enjoy
Old Apr 1st 2009, 10:36 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu-pot
Well after a shaky start, two flights and one long day we have landed in Nova Scotia. Grumpy BA check in staff was moaning because one case was 0.6 of a kilo over weight,then at Heathrow they put our luggage on the wrong belt. After asking at the counter we were told that it was due in 5 mins by a clerk who barely looked up from her magazine. 15 mins later they realised their mistake. Next we had a mad dash across the airport from terminal 5 to 3, getting held up by muppets who ignore all the signs and try to get through customs(several times) without removing anything.
AirCanada were excellent and got us boarded quickly only to be held up from being pushed off the gate, then waiting inline to taxi onto runway - captain told us that they had built in waiting time onto the flight time so we landed just gone 15.00 local time. Smooth flight, nice plane.
Customs and immigration went well despite the long queue, we were asked how much money we had, plus they liked that we had done the goods to follow/accompany on a spreadsheet and done them a copy as well. After stamping and signing we got the "welcome to Canada". Picked up the hire car - GMC Arcadia, they even knocked $300 off the price which will probably end up in the fuel tank. If you can imagine what would happen if knight rider got it together with a hummer and made a concept vehicle thats what it looks like.
We're staying at the Holiday inn on Kearny Lake drive, its ok with a timmies & a booze shop next door. We've opened bank accounts with TD Canada who have waived the charges until Aug - result, get SIN tomorrow and view a house we're looking to buy.

oh and O2 PAYG do work over here if the phone is unlocked, just make sure you set up topping the credit up before you leave the UK.

will keep you posted

Stuart
Phewwy! Am worn out after reading that!!

At least your next door to the beer store...result!

Am glad you all made it - WELCOME TO NOVA SCOTIA!

ps...you will wake up at 4.30...lol

A x
Old Apr 1st 2009, 11:13 pm
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Well done and Congratulations!
Hope you enjoy your new life!
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:21 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Congrats on arriving in NS

Thanks for the info, sounds as though immigration was fairly straight forward, I assume from what you have said they didn't actually ask for proof of finds, just asked the question?

Good luck with the house hunting, look forward to catching up soon

Best wishes
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

SarahMom is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations!!! Have a fantastic new life
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Lady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant future

Gosh that all sounds a bit hectic! Although sadly it appears that the problems were all at the UK end - doesn't say much for us!

Congratulations on getting there, and good luck with the house hunting!
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

Well done, I am soooooo envious (have a whole year to wait yet). Maybe you can answer a couple of questions (one of millions that are rattling around at the back of my mind....as I am sure you were once there too).

Have you booked the hotel for a discounted long stay whilst you find somewhere?

We decided not to sell our house but to rent it out in the UK and rent something in BC hoping the exchange rate will get better in the next year or two, do you think it is a good time to bring money over to Canada and to buy a house that may start to decrease in value ( that is open for discussion but I heard parts of Canada's house market was starting to fall).

Will you keep the hire car or buy one.....paying hotel bills and car hire can be financially sapping I would imagine.

I know, each to their own, but picking peoples brains helps others make their own decision too.

Best of luck on your great adventure..
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

westewoo is an unknown quantity at this point

well done stu and co. i will be chasing you soon as my twp is due on good friday then it bye bye sunny wigan for a bit. all the best from westewoo of ashton in makerfield
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skyturner
Well done, I am soooooo envious (have a whole year to wait yet). Maybe you can answer a couple of questions (one of millions that are rattling around at the back of my mind....as I am sure you were once there too).

Have you booked the hotel for a discounted long stay whilst you find somewhere? no not really, just looked for the best deal

We decided not to sell our house but to rent it out in the UK and rent something in BC hoping the exchange rate will get better in the next year or two, do you think it is a good time to bring money over to Canada and to buy a house that may start to decrease in value ( that is open for discussion but I heard parts of Canada's house market was starting to fall).i'm checking the exchange rate daily to get the best deal, from what i've seen so far the houses in NS seem to be going up in price

Will you keep the hire car or buy one.....paying hotel bills and car hire can be financially sapping I would imagine.i have hired this SUV tank type thingy, but thanks to the good folk on here we will be buying one soon as the insurance have recognised our no claims

I know, each to their own, but picking peoples brains helps others make their own decision too.

Best of luck on your great adventure..

Stuart

Oh and i still woke at 04:00 this morning
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:02 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Stuart

Oh and i still woke at 04:00 this morning
SEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! Told you so!

Hope you have a good day

PS - Did you bring this rain with you? Naughty naughty.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 3:23 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to Canada!
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 3:52 pm
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

Congratulations - now you need to change the location in your profile!

Good luck and hope the rest of the transition goes smoothly.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 4:54 pm
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of
Smile Re: We made it

will keep you posted

Stuart

Well done.You deserved the beer.Good luck with the house.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 4:57 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, You just have to change your BE profile location and you will be all done

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.