Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

We Landed! In Montreal

We Landed! In Montreal

Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:29 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default We Landed! In Montreal

I am delighted to say that 'I' landed yesterday, in Montreal. It wasn't exciting, as it went like clockwork (I will save you the drama of the car not starting in the morning at Paris Airport, and my normally calm husband having a complete meltdown). Everyone in Montreal was most pleasant and efficient - they didn't want our Goods to Follow list, because we aren't arriving till the end of school next summer (the officer involved however did eye the list somewhat archly and opine "so you have 1 dog, 3 cats, and two parakeets" and may have stuck us on a list of oddities I felt). I won't however get my PR Card sent, as we are hoping to live in NB and our address for our friends is in BC, so we have to phone, prior to leaving France permanently and tell them the address for my PR Card. Other than that - zero to report, but... I can confirm that there is nothing to fear, as there has discussed on other posts, from arriving in Montreal. Now we can just have a 'proper' family holiday - my very best wishes!
Old Oct 17th 2011, 2:13 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We Landed! In Montreal

Hi

Originally Posted by MillieF
I am delighted to say that 'I' landed yesterday, in Montreal. It wasn't exciting, as it went like clockwork (I will save you the drama of the car not starting in the morning at Paris Airport, and my normally calm husband having a complete meltdown). Everyone in Montreal was most pleasant and efficient - they didn't want our Goods to Follow list, because we aren't arriving till the end of school next summer (the officer involved however did eye the list somewhat archly and opine "so you have 1 dog, 3 cats, and two parakeets" and may have stuck us on a list of oddities I felt). I won't however get my PR Card sent, as we are hoping to live in NB and our address for our friends is in BC, so we have to phone, prior to leaving France permanently and tell them the address for my PR Card. Other than that - zero to report, but... I can confirm that there is nothing to fear, as there has discussed on other posts, from arriving in Montreal. Now we can just have a 'proper' family holiday - my very best wishes!
Just a touch of misinformation. If you don't give CIC an address with 180 days of "landing", once you arrive you will have to apply for a new PR card and pay the fee and wait the 155 days for it to be delivered.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I am delighted to say that 'I' landed yesterday, in Montreal.
Don't forget to buy some wine before you get to NB and find the 'offie' closed for Sunday
Old Oct 18th 2011, 7:25 pm
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Don't forget to buy some wine before you get to NB and find the 'offie' closed for Sunday
Quite right too Bristol! I learn by my mistakes!

PMM, many thanks - does this pose a problem? The official concerned was very pleasant but not very informative, I did ask for clarification, but it wasn't forthcoming. I did explain that I will not be taking up residency before the end of summer 2012 when our son finishes primary. She was just insistent that a PR card could not be sent to an address at which I wasn't a permanent resident.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:13 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Quite right too Bristol! I learn by my mistakes!

PMM, many thanks - does this pose a problem? The official concerned was very pleasant but not very informative, I did ask for clarification, but it wasn't forthcoming. I did explain that I will not be taking up residency before the end of summer 2012 when our son finishes primary. She was just insistent that a PR card could not be sent to an address at which I wasn't a permanent resident.

She was wrong. It can be sent to any address in Canada that you choose, other than a PO box. She should have gave you letter to fax to the call centre with your address in Canada for the PR card. If you have it, just fax it in with your friends address in Canada. Save a lot of time (150 days for processing your PR card if you don't supply an address in the first 6 months)

If not, use the following to give an address in Canada.
https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/?app=coanotify&lang=en
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:58 am
BE user by choice

PMM - Greatly appreciated, many mant thanks, we will phone tomorrow with the address, and see what happens.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely to see you have landed! We fly out next weds to Toronto - so pretty nervous about it all, but nice to know it was nice and simple!

We are in the same situation as you and landing, but only moving next summer - we are going to give hubby's mothers address in Cape Breton - hopefully it will be okay to do that!

I will look for an update from you re your PR card.

Enjoy your holiday!!