Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Watch out if you need a licence to work

Watch out if you need a licence to work

Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:56 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Watch out if you need a licence to work

Originally Posted by mrs. liftman
You can find the regulations at :

http://www.canlii.org/ns/laws/regu/2...902/whole.html

Hope this helps
Okay, I read the legislation. Here's the problem the way I see it:

1) The board has decided that your training is not sufficient.

2) As to just what does constitute adequate training seems to be rather subjective to me.

3) Those on the "board" (as well as the registrar) are the ones who the government has delegated the authority regarding licensure to.

Because of #3, the politicians (Minister of Health, Minister of Professions and Occupations, etc.) will be very reluctant to interfere with any decision made by the board. However, because of #2, they just might. I don't like how vague that part in the legislation was. It states:

4) A person may write the registration examination if they

(a) submit an application in the form approved by the Board to the Executive Director- Registrar on or before the date referred to in clause 3(b);

(b) provide proof to the satisfaction of the Board that they have successfully completed a practical-nursing education program or a practical-nursing education program equivalent within the 24 months immediately preceding the date fixed for the registration examination; and

(c) pay the examination fee.

What are they (the board) objecting to? Is it about the fact that you did your formal schooling in nursing more than 24 months ago? I really don't know. They only require a one-year program. From what you have said, they weren't specific about what is deficient in your training.

If I were you, I would want to know exactly what the problem was.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:59 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

[QUOTE=oceanMDX]Very simple, it shows that in the past, the regulations for licensure of a healthcare professional were not tough enough.QUOTE]

It does nothing of the sort. It demonstrates that you believe that one particular Canadian surgeon was better than one particular surgeon trained elsewhere.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:02 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Personal experiance, and comments from senior staff at the sick kids hospital Toronto..
The people at sick kids hospital are coming under a lot of pressure to work within a very limited budget, and one of their executives just resigned. Not all hospitals across Canada are under the same pressure.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

mrs. liftman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Okay, I read the legislation. Here's the problem the way I see it:

1) The board has decided that your training is not sufficient.
The board decided nothing. It was the assistant registrar who decided.
2) As to just what does constitute adequate training seems to be rather subjective to me.
Subjective is an understatement. I would have thought that the requirements of the user (Hospital) would be pretty important too!
From what you have said, they weren't specific about what is deficient in your training.
How true.
If I were you, I would want to know exactly what the problem was.
I have asked, but the Assistant Registrar refuses to answer my emails!
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:07 pm
mañana is my busiest day

[QUOTE=Rhodes]
Very simple, it shows that in the past, the regulations for licensure of a healthcare professional were not tough enough.QUOTE]

It does nothing of the sort. It demonstrates that you believe that one particular Canadian surgeon was better than one particular surgeon trained elsewhere.
To the contrary, a surgeon with inadequate surgical skill was permitted to perform cataract surgeries when he didn't have the skill to do so. This skill was never assessed by the licensing board in Canada before he received his license to practice.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

To the contrary, a surgeon with inadequate surgical skill was permitted to perform cataract surgeries when he didn't have the skill to do so. This skill was never assessed by the licensing board in Canada before he received his license to practice.
Why was that allowed to happen?

How many years ago?

I agree that this is a terrible situation that should not be allowed to happen, which is why everyone should undergo strict trial and due examination. Probationary periods should be mandatory.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:19 pm
mañana is my busiest day

The board decided nothing. It was the assistant registrar who decided.
You are very likely right about that, but the legislation mentions the "board" and the exective director/registrar pretty much interchangeably with respect to the issue. In practice, it's been my experience that the registrar is like a dictator over the board.

I have asked, but the Assistant Registrar refuses to answer my emails!
I would also mention that fact in any correspondence to the Minister of Occupations and Professions and the Minister of Health, and I might even write to the Solicitor General.

At the very least, I think that you are owed an explanation by the registrar. Under these circumstances, I certainly can't fault you for making lots of noise with the media and the government ministers.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

I certainly can't fault you for making lots of noise with the media and the government ministers.
I fully intend to do so, and I already have!

CBC contated me today, and we will be having an in depth discussion on Monday.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:24 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Why was that allowed to happen?

How many years ago?

I agree that this is a terrible situation that should not be allowed to happen, which is why everyone should undergo strict trial and due examination. Probationary periods should be mandatory.
Why? Because of loose regulations.

This doctor was first licensed about 25 years ago. The last time I checked, he was still practicing.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Why? Because of loose regulations.

This doctor was first licensed about 25 years ago. The last time I checked, he was still practicing.
Well then, the Canadian equivalent of the General Medical Council should get involved.

Litigation costs must be skyrocketing.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:36 pm
mañana is my busiest day

I fully intend to do so, and I already have!

CBC contated me today, and we will be having an in depth discussion on Monday.
I dealt with government Ministers (regarding healthcare regulations in my profession) before, and in fact lobbied them about our regulations against my own association - and won!

For what it's worth, I would really make the point that with regards to who can get a license to practice it's so subjective that the regulation is worthless, because if you had a different registrar, the reply you received could have been totally different, and that's not fair to a public that needs more healthcare practitioners. How did the registrar make his determination? Did he flip a coin or what? Maybe that's why you don't get any reply. They can't justify the decision because it was arbitrary.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Oct 21st 2004 at 9:40 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:44 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Well then, the Canadian equivalent of the General Medical Council should get involved.

Litigation costs must be skyrocketing.
At one time he did have his license restricted for a few months.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:48 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Just remember one very important point, don't bother with the Federal Government - it's the Provincial Government (Nova Scotia) that you have to lobby because they are the ones who ultimately have the power.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:18 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

GO GO GO Mrs Liftman

We are all rooting for you

Go and rattle some bones

Go and rattle some cages

Go and kick ASS !!!

GO LADY GO !!!!!

Eddie
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:25 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

What Voyager970 said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.