Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Watch out if you need a licence to work

Watch out if you need a licence to work

Old Oct 21st 2004, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watch out if you need a licence to work

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
That opthalmologist was a foreigner who received his training outside of Canada,
Just tell me why you had to include this sentence.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 6:54 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mrs. liftman
If you read my letter it says "I am not a nurse".

I am a specifically trained worker in the OR.
The important point is in Nova Scotia, the work that you would be doing would come under the definition of what constitutes the act of "nursing" under the legislation that governs that profession. Ergo, you would have to be licensed as a nurse before you could legally do that job in Nova Scotia.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:02 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

While were all ranting here.. I think a dose of perspective is in order..

Canada does need medical staff….Given!
Canada does have good and bad medical staff already…

As Canada has imported poor quality medical staff in the past and is aware of this, its trying not to make the same mistake twice..

So Its making sure that the people coming are up to spec… and to ensure that’s the case its testing them….

Having experienced the incompetent of some immigrant doctors… which by the way in our region is most of them (immigrants not incompetents), I’m all for the testing..

I’d rather have a limited number of good doctors and nurses that a fleet of incompetent ones…

When it come sto my health I’m all for quality over quantity… and by what ever means

Yep…. Currently Canada is worse than the UK in my opinion… but letting every body who believes their good enough is not the way to improve it either
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:02 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Toontje
Just tell me why you had to include this sentence.
Very simple, it shows that in the past, the regulations for licensure of a healthcare professional were not tough enough. Some here feel that since Canada has a shortage of some classes of healthcare professionals we need to change the rules to accommodate more foreign trained professionals. Others even have made the unsubstantiated claim that British healthcare workers are superior to their counterparts in Canada. My point is that I won't take such claims at face value - show me the proof.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:06 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by MikeUK

Yep…. Currently Canada is worse than the UK in my opinion… but letting every body who believes their good enough is not the way to improve it either
On what facts do you base your conclusion that Canada is worse than the UK? Are you referring to the skill of the doctors, or just the general state of Canada's healthcare system (like the waiting times)?
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:08 pm
Glaswegian

So Its making sure that the people coming are up to spec… and to ensure that’s the case its testing them….
Mrs Liftman is not complaining about being tested - she is complaining about not being allowed to write the exam in the first place.

Mrs G

Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

mrs. liftman is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Watch out if you need a licence to work

I practiced in one of the healthcare disciplines for 16 years. I used to see the results of opthalmological surgical treatment on nearly a daily basis during that entire time. Some eye surgeons did totally brilliant work consistently. Dr. Gimbel of Calgary's work was so amazing that it would send chills up my spine when I examined his surgicial results under a microscope. His work was down right spooky. I'm not religious, but I would swear that it had to be God who guided his hands during the surgery. His work was perfect! A computer-controlled laser couldn't exceed the accuracy in his hands. Dr. Gimbel is a Canadian opthalmologist and has trained other surgeons from around the world. Then there was another ophthalmologist whose surgical work was just terrible. If you came out of one of his surgeries with passible results - you were lucky. I got bloody sick of seeing his botched up work. Several patients were blinded due to his incompetence. That opthalmologist was a foreigner who received his training outside of Canada, and I wouldn't want him to operate on a dog, let alone a human being.

As far as I am concerned, it's a good thing that it's not easy for just anyone who happens to work in a profession offshore to come to Canada and start working without meeting our standards. I know that if you saw what I saw, you'd all agree with me.
Very interesting.

I also am skilled in ophthalmic surgery, and work under a surgeon here who is a world authority in VR surgery. He knows that in and out of hours, he can call on only two or three nurses and only two ODP's ( one of them is me) that practice to his exacting standards.

I have been called on on several occasions to assist him in the middle of the night. He would not be calling me out under such circumstances if he did not have complete and utter faith in my skills and abilities.

Many of my surgeons, Max Fac., E.N.T., Obs. and Gyne, Vascular, Urology, General, Orthopaedic, Trauma and Opthalmic would not know wheather I was a nurse or an ODP. All I know is when they know it's me scrubbing for them they know that anything they could possibly need is available and I know what I am doing.

We practice to a very high standard. Our training is second to none, we are licenced with both the Association of Operating Department Practitioners and the Health Professional Council.

My training is governed by these bodies and my professional licence and employment record can be traced back to my first day of training. There are no gaps, no suspensions and no queries as to my background in healthcare.

I have never asked to be just let into the operating theatres in Canada without due trial and examination. I have always expected and been willing to complete examinations to ensure that I am what I say I am.

My complaint has always been that the licensing body for Nova Scotia have not at any time followed their own guidelines and regulations with regard to my application. They had, at all times, the opportunity to grant me a limited licence to practice. This is set out in the LPN Act 2001 c. 7,s. 1. and the LPN regulations ss.27(2) of the LPN Act.

When I received my letter from NS LPN, I was informed that I had been unsuccessful under section 8(4)(b). This section actually refers to the regulations governing elections of members of the board!

I used to be a police officer and know my way around the law. Do they realy think that I'm that stupid as to not look this up - what a blessing the internet is- see I do my research!

This would require me to be examined in the same way that a graduate of the LPN training programme. This I would readily agree to. It was never offered.

My arguement is injustice not sour grapes.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:24 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Mrs Liftman is not complaining about being tested - she is complaining about not being allowed to write the exam in the first place.

Mrs G
The point that the licensing board for nursing is making is that she doesn't have the prerequisite educational training to even sit for the exams.

If you asked the same authorities if you could sit the exams (for nursing), should you also have that right? Of course not! You don't have the prerequisite training, and as far as the authorities are concerned, neither does she. That's both their right and responsibility.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

I’d rather have a limited number of good doctors and nurses that a fleet of incompetent ones…

I quite agree with this. The checking and testing of incoming medical staff must be essential. The problem that seems to be currently affecting the system in Nova Scotia is that the licencing bodies are not applying the rules and regulations correctly. It would seem that blocking action is being taken to ensure that 'home grown' talent stays in charge without input or influence being allowed to creep in from the outside.

There are many incompetent medical staff in every country in the world, and it is the duty of all professionals to root out these dangerous people.

Please Canada, accept the professional skilled people and reject the incompetent.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

The point that the licensing board for nursing is making is that she doesn't have the prerequisite educational training to even sit for the exams.

If you asked the same authorities if you could sit the exams (for nursing), should you also have that right? Of course not! You don't have the prerequisite training, and as far as the authorities are concerned, neither does she. That's both their right and responsibility.
Please, since you think Canadian training is all that, check out my basic training program on my professions website : www.aodp.org

I have taken many further courses in the past seven years in both anaesthetics, surgery and recovery.

It may also interest you to read the LPN regulations s 10 regarding the active practicing class of LPN's. This is the LAW not just something I have made up on the spur of the moment.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:40 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by mrs. liftman
My complaint has always been that the licensing body for Nova Scotia have not at any time followed their own guidelines and regulations with regard to my application. They had, at all times, the opportunity to grant me a limited licence to practice. This is set out in the LPN Act 2001 c. 7,s. 1. and the LPN regulations ss.27(2) of the LPN Act.

When I received my letter from NS LPN, I was informed that I had been unsuccessful under section 8(4)(b). This section actually refers to the regulations governing elections of members of the board!

I used to be a police officer and know my way around the law. Do they realy think that I'm that stupid as to not look this up - what a blessing the internet is- see I do my research!

This would require me to be examined in the same way that a graduate of the LPN training programme. This I would readily agree to. It was never offered.

My arguement is injustice not sour grapes.
Okay, now you're talking!!!! They have to abide by the rules and regulations listed in the Act. You are now quoting those regulations and are suggesting that they are not following them. If you are correct in your point - and you may be - that is very shocking. However, I have little doubt that they know their own regulations. It would be very interesting to see how this one turns out. At any rate, if they are not abiding by their own regulations regarding licensure (or anything else) you are right to make a lot of noise about it. If the licensing board cannot satisfy you that they are right, you might consider writing the Minister of Professions and Occupations. That may or may not be the exact title of the Minister (in Nova Scotia) who is responsible for the professions. Don't bother with the Federal Government, this is a provincial (Nova Scotia) jurisdictional matter.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Okay, now you're talking!!!! They have to abide by the rules and regulations listed in the Act. You are now quoting those regulations and are suggesting that they are not following them. If you are correct in your point - and you may be - that is very shocking. However, I have little doubt that they know their own regulations. It would be very interesting to see how this one turns out. At any rate, if they are not abiding by their own regulations regarding licensure (or anything else) you are right to make a lot of noise about it. If the licensing board cannot satisfy you that they are right, you might consider writing the Minister of Professions and Occupations. That may or may not be the exact title of the Minister (in Nova Scotia) who is responsible for the professions. Don't bother with the Federal Government, this is a provincial (Nova Scotia) jurisdictional matter.

You can find the regulations at :

http://www.canlii.org/ns/laws/regu/2...902/whole.html

Hope this helps
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:37 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

On what facts do you base your conclusion that Canada is worse than the UK? Are you referring to the skill of the doctors, or just the general state of Canada's healthcare system (like the waiting times)?
Personal experiance, and comments from senior staff at the sick kids hospital Toronto..

Last edited by MikeUK; Oct 21st 2004 at 8:58 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

mrs. liftman: consider the US instead.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
mrs. liftman: consider the US instead.
No thanks, I don't want shooting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.