Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Watch out if you need a licence to work

Watch out if you need a licence to work

Old Oct 20th 2004, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

mrs. liftman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Watch out if you need a licence to work

We recently visited Halifax, Nova Scotia, with a view to emigrating.

Here is the story of what we came up against.

I thought that I would write to you, to let you know my experience in attempting to immigrate into Canada.

I am an Operating Department Practitioner in the UK. I work in a highly skilled job in the Operating Room of a hospital. I assist the anaesthetist, assist the surgeon and recover patients following procedures requiring anaesthetic. I trained for two years both at Plymouth University, and in the local Hospital. I have been in this job for seven years since I qualified. We are a registered organisation in the UK, regulated by a professional body.
My husband is a highly skilled elevator mechanic, and we have two sons aged 15 and 11.

After looking around many countries in the world, we finally decided on Canada, where I have relations, including my sister. More specifically, we centred on Halifax in Nova Scotia.
I researched my occupation, and found that the nearest equivalent (although at a considerably lower level than I had been practicing in the UK) was known as an OR Technician. This job is regulated by the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Nova Scotia.
I made two long telephone calls to the college, and spoke to the deputy registrar for registrations and exams, a Mr Albert Macintyre, to ascertain if my type of qualifications would be acceptable to the college, as I have not completed a nursing course, but that of an Operating Department Practitioner. He raised no serious objections, and after more research, my husband and I decided to come to visit the area, to see if we would be suited. Prior to this I also telephoned the manager of the Operating room at the Queen Elizabeth II hospital in Halifax, to arrange an informal interview.

We travelled over on 23rd September, and the following day, I presented myself at the College, to hand over the many pages of supporting evidence required by the college. I also met and chatted with Mr Macintyre regarding my case. This done, and the $50.00 check fee paid, I was assured that contact would be made by e-mail within a couple of days, and all seemed fine.

On the 27th September I had my Interview with the head of the Operating Rooms at the Hospital. She was most impressed with my qualifications and my skill level. She said that she would gladly offer me a position in the hospital, and that there would be a position available in January, when one of her permanent staff was retiring. This I could apply for in the usual way.

We spent the rest of the week looking at housing, and comparing the prices of goods between the UK and Canada. We found the area that we would like to live in, and researched schools and all the other minutiae of moving countries. We even went to a Hockey match (a first for both of us)!

On Thursday 30th September we were happy to see that an email had arrived from The Nurses college. On opening it, you can imagine our disappointment and dismay to find that the college had rejected my application in very short order.
They felt that my education does not come up to the level expected of a practical nurse.
I was not expecting the college to come up with an instant license. I was expecting to have to write the examination for an LPN, however, I was not expecting outright refusal. I was also expecting to have restriction on my license so that I could only practice in the OR.

Everyone that I have spoken to regarding this are amazed that the college of LPN’s cannot think that my training, qualifications and experience are sufficient for me to be able to even attempt the exam. The manager at the hospital had commented that my abilities should have had me looking at a RN position at least. This though would not be possible, as I do not hold a part 1 registration in nursing.

Everybody you speak to in Nova Scotia, and Canada as a whole, tell you of the shortage in skilled medical healthcare workers and also in immigrants at all. We proposed to move two highly skilled adults and two young males into a province that is crying out for inward immigration. This has now been dashed, as it seems ridiculous for us to move 3500 miles so that I cannot work.

I think that you should be aware of the apparently ridiculous situation that faces medical immigrants into Canada. It would appear that if you are not Canadian qualified, then you have no chance at all. Is that how you would like to see the Canada portrayed? I cannot see how you will be able to attract immigrants of any decent standard, if their good high class qualifications are so peremptorily dismissed by the licensing authorities. The licensing bodies appear to have no degree of latitude in their decision making processes, or, they do not want non Canadians getting into the system.

I would be delighted to hear your comments on this case, either by telephone (+44 *******) or by email on [email protected]

Yours sincerely

Mrs Liftman

This is an extract from the letter that we have sent to:

Minister for Immigration
Minister of Health
Deputy Minister of Health
Premier of Nova Scotia
Mayor of Halifax
Minister of Health - Nova Scotia
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Halifax Chronicle Herald
Nova Scotia Department for Economic Development

These have all been acknowledged, and are under "investigation".

Just so everyone is aware!
Old Oct 20th 2004, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

torticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant future
Default Re: Watch out if you need a licence to work

Hi Guys

Firstly, welcome back to the forum.

Secondly, that $ucks..... Talk about ruining an excellent week and what an introduction to Canada.

I am sure you will get the response you want from those departments and with Immigration being a big topic here in NS i expect this will happen sooner rather than later.

If there is anything you need from this end just let us know and by the way, the Moose are playing tonight and we have top seats!!!!!!!
Old Oct 20th 2004, 6:21 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

So what? Why should she be exempted from the training and education that everyone else had to go through to obtain a license?
Old Oct 20th 2004, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukjo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
So what? Why should she be exempted from the training and education that everyone else had to go through to obtain a license?
Because she is probably more qualified that a lot of people working in her field. How would you feel if you were in a job where you worked and trained hard for 10 years or more and then youre told youve got to start at the very bottom of the ladder again and completely retrain? A bit naffed off maybe???? I am in a position where I cant work with my Uk qualification in my career without retaking exams here. Thats fine, its not as though I have to retrain in anything but Mrs Liftman is a hell of lot more qualified with her job yet has to get past all this redtape before they can think of the redtape from immigration. It sucks!!!
Old Oct 20th 2004, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Hi Mrs liftman,
really sorry to hear about what happened to you there. Were you intending to go through the pnp with your hospital work, or are you already in the the process of pr? Do you score another points for pr?
Old Oct 20th 2004, 6:50 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukjo
Because she is probably more qualified that a lot of people working in her field. How would you feel if you were in a job where you worked and trained hard for 10 years or more and then youre told youve got to start at the very bottom of the ladder again and completely retrain? A bit naffed off maybe???? I am in a position where I cant work with my Uk qualification in my career without retaking exams here. Thats fine, its not as though I have to retrain in anything but Mrs Liftman is a hell of lot more qualified with her job yet has to get past all this redtape before they can think of the redtape from immigration. It sucks!!!
the reality of this is it the perception of the training..

Without the matching or close formal qualifications it’s much harder to make a judgement call, it may be regulated in the UK but if there is no matching body in Canada verification of the validity of any qualification can be near impossible

and in this case it would appear that they have jumped on the route of least risk

solely based on a lower base education than would be normally expected for a nurse in Canada…..Not nice, but a bad case of Life…
Old Oct 20th 2004, 6:55 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Inbox - message sent .

Rich/Nicky
Old Oct 20th 2004, 7:38 pm
Glaswegian

This seems to happen a lot with overseas professionals, it's one of the reasons Canada has a shortage - there are foreign trained doctors working as taxi drivers and security guards.

CFCN news are running a series of stories this week about how Canada welcomes new immigrants, but doesn't welcome their training or education much - I'm not being negative ... this is a reality of Canadian immigration ... on the positive side, at least you found out about it before you sold up and moved over.

Old Oct 20th 2004, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I have a story along these lines and although it makes me cringe at the stupidity of Canadian officials, I will repeat it here.

My sister, who lives in Vancouver, knows a couple from Belgium. They are both lawyers and they were told that Canada really need people with their experience etc. etc. etc. What they were NOT told was that they would have to go back and start their education all over again. So far as I remember the story, they are both working as Notaries in Vancouver.

I hear it over and over again. I think the people at CIC must be brain dead. They tell people that their skills are needed in Canada but they don't bother to tell them that they will have to retrain. Seems a bit like fraud to me.

If the head of the operating room was impressed with Mrs. Liftman's skills and qualifications - how come her opinion did not seem to carry any weight. We are desperately short of skilled medical workers all over Canada and if Mrs. Liftman's experience is common - its not very hard to see why!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
If the head of the operating room was impressed with Mrs. Liftman's skills and qualifications - how come her opinion did not seem to carry any weight. !

Its a ludicrous situation, but I suspect the reason is "fear of litigation"
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

mrs. liftman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Exemption is not the right word here.

I was looking at doing the same job as I currently do, and I was willing (and Expecting) to have to take the Licensed Practical Nurse exam.

My education and training consists of a two year university based course, (in Canada the course is only 1 year) followed by seven years of practical experience in the operating theatre. I have held organs in my hands that have helped people live a good life. I am on the organ transplant team at my hospital.

I assist the surgeon on complicated neck surgery for cancer lasting in excess of twelve hours.

The manager of the OR at the hospital wanted me for my skills and knowledge. And I was willing to be tested and examined for my competence. This is what annoys me, the fact that your personal skills are useless unless they are from a Canadian establishment. This is not the way to get good quality immigrants.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:39 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Your situation is so ridiculous I hope you get positive replies (fingers crossed - pls let us know...!)

I'm not in your field at all, but there is an agency in BC that sorts out jobs for health care professionals - I wonder if it would be worth emailing them (and similar agencies in other provinces) to see if the licencing varies from province to province....

http://www.healthmatchbc.org/

Clare
Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

.[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry that you had to go through such an unpleasant experience in Canada. The situation is absolutely ridiculous and I'm embarassed as a Canadian that we as a nation can be so stupid........

I wish you only the best in your continued search for employment. With your qualifications I hope you find it soon!!!!!
Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:00 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs Liftman, sounds like to have had a really bad experience of the Canadian employment trap.

Talk about dis-couraging people to move to Cananda !!!!
I also worry about my qualifications, and how they will be looked upon in the Canadian field of industry.
I am a time served tradesman, ( City and Guilds Vehicle Technician )
Car mechanic to us lesser mortals.
I have also obtained various management qualifications over the years, whilst working in my current job.
I fully expect them to be worthless in Canada, but in the eyes of the immigration officer assessing your application, they should be OK to obtain the required educational points for your application.
In the eyes of the Canadian employers these qualifications will be bloody useless !!!!!!!!

So what do you do now Mrs Liftman, accept the findings of the big bosses in Canada or, do you fight this all the way, all the way to the top.

Please keep us updated, as this could be a wee battle about to evolve !!!!

Eddie

PS have a on me and do not be disheartened.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

This is a terrible situation!

I really see no reason why they should not allow you to take the exam in order to qualify!

I really hope you hear something postive from the various places you've sent your letter.

Int.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.