Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

washing lines??

washing lines??

Old Mar 30th 2014, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

gorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nice
Default washing lines??

Hi,
one thing we didn't see when looking for a house in West Lethbridge, Alberta, was a house with a washing line in view. Being English and always enjoying pegging out our washing, can we do it in Alberta, or is it a banned activity?? We found out that almost all new build houses have a laundry included, washer and dryer. Not very eco friendly when you consider that Lethbridge has a very high "windiness" count. I believe it blows in from the Rockies on about 325 days a year. Something else we found out, was that to buy trees to form a wind break you need a very healthy bank balance!
Old Mar 30th 2014, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of
Default Re: washing lines??

My Mother-in-Law lives in Lethbridge and rarely uses her dryer. Her clothesline runs between the house and the rear garage.

I live in Calgary and have a clothesline that is retractable and runs between one of our deck posts to a tree across the yard. I only use mine when the weather is nice because I can't be bothered.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 2:55 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary claims to be the greenest city in Canada, but it's illegal to dry your washing outside. It's offensive to the eye, apparently. Must be the same in Lethbridge, which is even sunnier and much windier than Calgary.

Interesting, because in Newfoundland, clthes flapping on the line is a key feature of their tourist commercials - that and and a preponderance of freckly, ginger kids. Funny old world, eh?
Old Mar 30th 2014, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Dryers just make life easier in a country with weather that isn't really compatible with outdoor clothes drying for a good portion of the year.

For my area, just rains too much to not have a dryer, can go a week sometimes without nice weather that would allow outdoor drying.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 30th 2014 at 3:03 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 3:08 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

How can anyone enjoy pegging out washing?
Old Mar 30th 2014, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
How can anyone enjoy pegging out washing?
When you get your hydro bill you may enjoy outdoor drying
Old Mar 30th 2014, 3:47 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
When you get your hydro bill you may enjoy outdoor drying
Nope. I don't enjoy carrying baskets of laundry through the house, bashing through the screen doors then clambering up the slope to the washing line. Plus with the stupid way Hydro is billed here, over $110 a month before you even use any electricity, a few loads in the dryer doesn't make much difference. Using a clothes horse indoors in the winter keeps the humidity levels up too.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Nope. I don't enjoy carrying baskets of laundry through the house, bashing through the screen doors then clambering up the slope to the washing line. Plus with the stupid way Hydro is billed here, over $110 a month before you even use any electricity, a few loads in the dryer doesn't make much difference. Using a clothes horse indoors in the winter keeps the humidity levels up too.
How do they bill hydro there?

Granted I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, so not large only 750sq feet, but I only pay 26 a month out here. No too many fees or taxes.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

gorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nice

Thanks guys and gals, just love some of the replies

Are some of you breaking the law then in AB?

We move next door to our son and his family in Lethbridge on April 12th and our daughter-in-law will be mortified the first time I put the line up and hang the washing out. She's Canadian and loves her dryer...............

Oh yeh, I do enjoy pegging out the washing, just ask my wife................
Old Mar 30th 2014, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Calgary claims to be the greenest city in Canada, but it's illegal to dry your washing outside. It's offensive to the eye, apparently. Must be the same in Lethbridge, which is even sunnier and much windier than Calgary.

Interesting, because in Newfoundland, clthes flapping on the line is a key feature of their tourist commercials - that and and a preponderance of freckly, ginger kids. Funny old world, eh?
Clothes lines illegal in a Calgary and Lethbridge?! Never heard of it.
Source, please.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Is there really a City bylaw against washing lines? I've heard of covenants prohibiting washing lines in newer subdivisions. Clothes lines etc are sold at Rona, Canadian Tire etc
Old Mar 30th 2014, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary claims to be the greenest city in Canada, but it's illegal to dry your washing outside.

This is completely untrue.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 4:36 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have thought it was too naffing cold or wet to bother most of the year.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 5:10 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.lethbridge.ca/City-Govern...s/default.aspx http://www.greencalgary.org/ask-ashl...ur-dirty-work/
Google is your friend, you can definately use a clothesline in Calgary
Old Mar 30th 2014, 5:16 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
How do they bill hydro there?

Granted I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, so not large only 750sq feet, but I only pay 26 a month out here. No too many fees or taxes.
Delivery charge is $90.49, regulatory charges $7.40, debt repayment charge $8.24.

The you pay metered units for what you use. We pay around $200 $220 in winter and we don't heat or cook with electricity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.