Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Warning: Sanctimonious cyclists ....

Warning: Sanctimonious cyclists ....

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 4:12 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning: Sanctimonious cyclists ....

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
I cycled everywhere for years in the U.K. I gave up after we had children as I couldn't justify the trade off between me enjoying cycling & my children losing their father. One of the things I really looked forward to when we settled here was rekindling my love of all things two wheeled, imagine my disappointment when I realised that motorists here were as thoughtless, sanctimonious & downright dangerous as they were in Britain when it came to their sense of self righteousness over "ownership" of the road..
or inconsiderate and arrogant riders;

http://www.edmontonsun.com/comment/e...63471-sun.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/4268927.stm

http://www.harrogateadvertiser.net/l...nce.4805648.jp

http://www.kent.police.uk/Your%20Are..._cyclists.html

I'm all for bike lanes to keep riders safe an out of the way of vehicles & pedestrians. Unfortunately a lot of riders think they can go where and do what they like. It seems cyclist rile not only motorists, but pedestrians as well. Cyclists want to be considered as a road user then they should behave like one, with courtesy and respect for other road users and the regulations associated with road use. Get two cars going down the road at 20kph two abreast and they'll soon get the wrath of other motorists as well, or cutting in in front at a light, running a red or stop sign. Road rules apply to all, if road users say than cannot comply, keep off the road until or if they are changed.

Last edited by Aviator; Aug 3rd 2009 at 4:17 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 4:27 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

I am not in competition with you, I merely feel strongly enough about this issue to post. Blanket bombing with links doesn't change my experiences or render them illegitimate. You obviously feel very, very strongly about this issue, as expressed in the amount of posts in this thread & all of the substantiating links you have taken the time to find. I have never run a red light, I have never ridden on the footpath (as an adult) & I have never taken part in a cyclists' "action day". I have been taken off my bike, by idiotic car users, on countless occasions (once resulting in serious injury & hospitalisation). I have lost two good friends to drivers who needed to get where they were going 2 minutes quicker than they would have had they waited for enough passing room. This is a redundant and pointless argument. Car users cause all but a handful of road deaths, cyclists cause so few as to be statistically insignificant. I detest all selfish road users, be they cyclists, pedestrians or motor vehicle drivers...
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:04 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shawn_ldn
Probably because it wasn't funny?
Why not just get a gun and wave it in someones face for the reaction? Hilarious.

perhaps this thread should be changed to sanctimonious motorists.
Says the man who doesn't see the irony in preaching about what is or isn't a subject for humour.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:23 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
I have been taken off my bike, by idiotic car users, on countless occasions (once resulting in serious injury & hospitalisation). I have lost two good friends to drivers who needed to get where they were going 2 minutes quicker than they would have had they waited for enough passing room. This is a redundant and pointless argument. Car users cause all but a handful of road deaths, cyclists cause so few as to be statistically insignificant. I detest all selfish road users, be they cyclists, pedestrians or motor vehicle drivers...
OH cycles to work and this is what really scares me about cycling. Some motorists are a-holes.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:35 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Some motorists are a-holes.
As are some cyclists
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:59 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I'm all for bike lanes to keep riders safe an out of the way of vehicles & pedestrians. ...
In my continuing quest to expose bogus safety arguments, I have to point out that cycle lanes have not been shown to improve cyclists' (or anyone else's) safety. They create additional intersections; intersections with roads increase in complexity (often well beyond the glass ceiling of driver skills); and too often they mix cyclists with pedestrians (and their pets).

The best that can be said, from a utility cyclist's POV, is that bike lanes encourage more people to cycle: more cyclists is the one factor that does seem to result in greater cyclist safety. At worst, they create the notion that, once created, any nearby road should not be used by cyclists.

By all means argue that bike lanes should be built because you don't want to share the road, but don't kid yourself that bike lanes are some kind of favour to cyclists.

Yours truly, the thought police.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Shawn_ldn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Says the man who doesn't see the irony in preaching about what is or isn't a subject for humour.
Preaching? hmmm, interesting interpretation. Gee, you got me, far to clever for me I'm afraid.
(ummm, by the way, how many postings on the topic do you have to make before you qualify to be preaching Al?)
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:34 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Preaching? hmmm, interesting interpretation. Gee, you got me, far to clever for me I'm afraid.
(ummm, by the way, how many postings on the topic do you have to make before you qualify to be preaching Al?)
Look up preaching in a dictionary and then look up ranting, you'll find i'm doing the latter.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Look up preaching in a dictionary and then look up ranting, you'll find i'm doing the latter.
well you're certainly right about the ranting.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:40 pm

well you're certainly right about the ranting.
Gosh - I don't agree that much with the aviator on this thread - but on some peoples lack of sense of humour he is bang on.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Gosh - I don't agree that much with the aviator on this thread - but on some peoples lack of sense of humour he is bang on.
oohhhh, below the belt Al, that hurt....
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:49 pm

oohhhh, below the belt Al, that hurt....
Dude, this is going to get boring quickly and I have no interest in an out and out slanging match. Banter yes, but bitter name calling - I'm not going to stoop to that level you punk-assed cylcist you.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Dude, this is going to get boring quickly and I have no interest in an out and out slanging match. Banter yes, but bitter name calling - I'm not going to stoop to that level you punk-assed cylcist you.
Ah, I get it, humour!!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 9:33 pm

I agree, the amusement has gone and it's become tedious now.