Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

WARNING - HMRC phishing scam

WARNING - HMRC phishing scam

Old Aug 6th 2013, 7:37 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default WARNING - HMRC phishing scam

Just wanted to alert folks that there is a very believable HMRC tax refund phishing scam on the go at the moment.

I received a very believable e-mail claiming to be from HMRC, with a hmrc.gov.uk address.

The e-mail informed me of a refund of a reasonable amount (410GBP) and gave me details of how to claim it.
There was a form attached for me to fill in the bank details of the account to which I wanted the refund sent.

Just in case anyone else gets one, forward it to the REAL HMRC (see site link below), as they publish examples of the scams on their web site, then delete it.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/examples.htm
Old Aug 6th 2013, 8:08 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WARNING - HMRC phishing scam

Originally Posted by helcat12
I received a very believable e-mail claiming to be from HMRC, with a hmrc.gov.uk address.
That set the address is was set to display, but if you hit reply or looked at the e-mail internet header/properties this quickly reveals the originating e-mail and IP. Very easy to make an e-mail appear to have come from someone else.

Very unwise to open any attachments unless you are 100% sure where it came from is safe.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 8:14 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WARNING - HMRC phishing scam

Originally Posted by Aviator
That set the address is was set to display, but if you hit reply or looked at the e-mail internet header/properties this quickly reveals the originating e-mail and IP. Very easy to make an e-mail appear to have come from someone else.

Very unwise to open any attachments unless you are 100% sure where it came from is safe.
Absolutely, but it is easy to be taken in when you are busy and have your mind on other things.
They must have a percentage of replies or they wouldn't bother sending the scam e-mails.

I just wanted to warn people.